Attacking option

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GYBS » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:04 pm

Well last nights game highlighted one thing for me and something i have been discussing with various people over the summer - We still lack someone with the ability to play in a wider area who can create something for us and help unlock defences . babel coming back will strengthen us more but will still need a arshavin or a silva type player and not spend 18 bloody mil on barry another dm .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:10 pm

Ok, great.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:14 pm

well thanks for that great in depth post there and contributing to the thread - well done ???
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sarge » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:19 pm

yippekayyey
http://www.pbh2.com/humor/soccer-dive-gifs/attachment/soccer-dive-gifs-2/
Sarge

Postby lewerty » Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:47 pm

true but dont think it will happen
lewerty

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:32 pm

bring back owen. :;):
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:39 pm

We have Dirk Kuyt, though.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:41 pm

and my little pony (voronin)
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Greavesie » Thu Aug 14, 2008 7:41 pm

We have Dirk Kuyt, though.

:D

I want us to sign Joe Cole, apparently he's going for around 15m. Won't happen but I can hope
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Sabre » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:56 pm

Topic: Attacking options.

About the attacking options I remember 3 major demands last season:

1)Proper partnership for Torres
2) Left wing sorted out.
3) Right Wing sorted out

I trust Rafa and Toshack when they think Keane will be the man to tackle point one.

But in point two, we've lost Kewell, who we expected to have during last season (and failed us again), and no-one has come. So we'll just have to cross fingers or pray about Babel making a great season there. A gamble. I simply don't know why we haven't signed somebody for there. We all know Benayoun is an option, and a valid one, but not the kind of player that will give us that little extra to win the league.

Right wing? Kuyt has done a decent job both in Liverpool and Holland in a right winged position. But that talks little about the competition that men like Pennant posed last season -- I really expected more of him. The right wing is not that crucial as the left wing, because you always have the option of using Gerrard as RM and still have Alonso and Mascherano to play in the middle.

So, either we play Gerrard on the right, or BOTH left and right wings will be decent, good at times, but not good enough to be champions. We lacked a prolific striker and now we have Torres. We have a great keeper. We have IMHO a great defence. And we have Gerrard Mascherano and Alonso for the middle. What we need is to sort out the attacking wing options, we cannot live always sending balls  and using the speed of Torres, and the Gerrard shots, we need more attacking options. And we have to jump from decent to very good. In the left that means Babel making a boost in his game or sign up somebody. In the right that means using Gerrard there permanently or sign up somebody.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:19 pm

its a good point again Sabre, tho its probably been covered before but its good to see the replies so far have been either the usual moronic wum 1 liners (which are fine if they're funny) or people slaggin off Kuyt.

Not to cover old ground or name players but there doesnt appear to be that many available options to buy for the wings. David Silva i believe has said in the Spanish press he wants to stay in La Liga (im sure you could confirm that) so it looks like he'll be at Valencia for another year as the big guns appear to have spent their money elsewhere. Ricardo Quarsema is vastly overpriced by Porto and possibly the polar opposite of what Rafa looks for in a professional footballer (he's a showpony, cocky lazy tw@t). Bentleys gone to Spurs, who also signed a wonder talent in Giovanni Dos Santos for feckin peanuts. Sabre did Barca say anything about why they let him go?
burjennio

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:04 am

Great points sabre - I agree that the left side is the major priority as think kuyt does a good job on the right both attacking wise and being solid - we can hope babel will provide more on a consistent basis this season but think we do lack a silva type player with a bit of pace and trickery and able to go on the outside and also cut in to create - just like players like fakey and jake hole does for chavs and manure .

And thanks for actually posting about the topic.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:12 am

Silva just signed a new 5 year deal.  Dos Santos was let go as he didnt progress as quickly as they thought he would.  In comparison to Messi and Bojan anway.  Was surprised they let him go without a buy back clause though.  Spurs got him at a snip.
puroresu

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:39 am

GYBS wrote:Well last nights game highlighted one thing for me and something i have been discussing with various people over the summer - We still lack someone with the ability to play in a wider area who can create something for us and help unlock defences . babel coming back will strengthen us more but will still need a arshavin or a silva type player and not spend 18 bloody mil on barry another dm .

Arshavin and Silva are like chalk and cheese.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:05 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
GYBS wrote:Well last nights game highlighted one thing for me and something i have been discussing with various people over the summer - We still lack someone with the ability to play in a wider area who can create something for us and help unlock defences . babel coming back will strengthen us more but will still need a arshavin or a silva type player and not spend 18 bloody mil on barry another dm .

Arshavin and Silva are like chalk and cheese.

but both can create and provide great attacking options from both a wider and central area - something we lack bar gerrard .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion