Attacking options

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Sabre » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:54 am

woof woof ! wrote:Image

Any chance we can stick to talking footy in the footy section ?

Fairy nuff.  :D

Seems like LFC (among others) is checking out youngster (17 yr) from Feyenoord for right wing.

I think that Riera has proven that the dream of bringing a good player for a reasonable price is possible.

I want signings like that to complete our attacking options, not necessarily a world class player like Torres or Gerrard, but a proven player for the right wing. No promises, no youngsters, we need someone solid there, not necessarily world class.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:38 pm

GYBS wrote:which starlets have rotted and disappeared ?!

which ones have broken through into the first team?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:53 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:

Just cause they havent broken into the first team doesnt mean they have disappeared or rotted away thou does it .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:13 pm

GYBS wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

Just cause they havent broken into the first team doesnt mean they have disappeared or rotted away thou does it .

then why buy them?
maypaxvobiscum

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:34 pm

IMO we need a Xavi, a creative genius that finds passes around the box, this seems to be something the Xabi can't do, or Gerrard for that matter. We have a shocking lack of attacking moves leading to something other then possession around the box.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 pm

stmichael wrote:IMO we need a Xavi, a creative genius that finds passes around the box, this seems to be something the Xabi can't do, or Gerrard for that matter. We have a shocking lack of attacking moves leading to something other then possession around the box.

He would be ideal mate, although I would prefer someone who played a little more forward I would certainly "settle" for Xavi.
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:57 pm

stmichael wrote:IMO we need a Xavi, a creative genius that finds passes around the box, this seems to be something the Xabi can't do, or Gerrard for that matter. We have a shocking lack of attacking moves leading to something other then possession around the box.

Who would you sit down to play Xavi? and in what formation?

If you play Xavi and you play Gerrard, you'd have to sacrifice our captain's game a lot, Steve should focus a lot more on defending.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:02 pm

Sabre wrote:

If you play Xavi and you play Gerrard, you'd have to sacrifice our captain's game a lot, Steve should focus a lot more on defending.

I suppose you could play 4-3-3 with Gerrard on the right of a front three. I've always said that I like Gerrard doing his damage from a wider area. His pace, stamina, drive, crossing ability and his dynamic play all point to Gerrard's natural position being out wide imo.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:03 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
GYBS wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

then why buy them?

They'll still be playing in the YOUTH and reserves when they're 30!

We might make a tidy profit, we've yet to see many coming through into the first team. It's rare for players to make rare appearances and stick around, they'll be sold because another load of kids comes in or request a move as no footballer worth his salt will want to play reserve team football for more than 3-4 years.

BREAKTHROUGHS

- current : Gerrard & Carragher
- recent-ish past : Fowler, Owen and McManaman. Some others have made some impact, but not many. Yet to see any of the foreign kids Houllier or Rafa signed that has made a longlasting impression - or I'd remember! We've had players like Matteo, Thompson, Wright, Mellor and some other half-decent players come through, but not for some time

Fowler - 369 games, 183 goals
Owen - 297 games, 158 goals
McManaman - 364 games, 66 goals
Matteo - 155 games, 2 goals
Thompson - 56 games, 3 goals
Mellor - 21 games, 6 goals
Wright - 21 games, 1 goal
Potter - 17 games, 0 goals

I noticed Maxwell came from St Asaph where a Liverpool legend hailed from, and scored one goal in his only 1st team game
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:06 pm

stmichael wrote:
Sabre wrote:

I suppose you could play 4-3-3 with Gerrard on the right of a front three. I've always said that I like Gerrard doing his damage from a wider area. His pace, stamina, drive, crossing ability and his dynamic play all point to Gerrard's natural position being out wide imo.

yes i agree. Mash will sit down and do the defending.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:08 pm

good post Owzat. expect some ridiculously exasperating reply soon.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby GYBS » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:14 pm

maypaxvobiscum wrote:
GYBS wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

then why buy them?

to see if they can be good enough . To see if potential at 16/17 turns into real ability to play in the prem . Done by showing talent playing in reserves against others also cup games .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:31 pm

GYBS wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:
GYBS wrote:
maypaxvobiscum wrote:

then why buy them?

to see if they can be good enough . To see if potential at 16/17 turns into real ability to play in the prem . Done by showing talent playing in reserves against others also cup games .

so recently which of these youngsters have broken into the first team? its an easy question really. if i wanted to make it hard i would have asked ''how many of them left''. then you might need to use your toes as well to count them.
maypaxvobiscum

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:32 pm

Owzat wrote:BREAKTHROUGHS

- recent-ish past : Fowler, Owen and McManaman. Some others have made some impact, but not many. Yet to see any of the foreign kids Houllier or Rafa signed that has made a longlasting impression - or I'd remember! We've had players like Matteo, Thompson, Wright, Mellor and some other half-decent players come through, but not for some time

Didn't Stephen Warnock come up from the academy via some loan spells ?

Still wondering why he was sold. Having watched some of his performances for Blackburn I'd say if anything he's looking as good as any of our current fullbacks.
Last edited by woof woof ! on Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 07, 2008 2:35 pm

woof woof ! wrote:
Owzat wrote:BREAKTHROUGHS

Didn't Stephen Warnock come up from the academy via some loan spells ?

Still wondering why he was sold. Having watched some of his performances for Blackburn I'd say if anything he's looking as good as any of our current fullbacks.

Was saying exactly the same the other day Woof. Scored a cracking goal for Blackburn the other day aswell.

Unfortunately, a bit like Aurelio, the kid struggled with injuries whilst he was here. He had two really bad leg breaks.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion