Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 3:00 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am wrote:
RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 am wrote:That's  Rodgers for ya. Fans, tradition, winning mentality, none of it matters under this man.
So f**k if players have to travel a bit. What the f**k are these guys paid to do? The fans want trophies and the manager should be trying to win them.

Practically every English team that starts the season in the EL and goes quite far in the tournament suffers in the Prem. That 2pm Sunday KO time is the graveyard shift of English football.
Besides I'm sure if draw a team in the early stages that aren't Slovakian or Moldovian part timers with a name that would score about 50 in scrabble then Brendan will put out a better side.

I may be wrong, but wouldn't we need to go through a qualification process similar to the Europa for finishing fourth?
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby The_Rock » Mon May 04, 2015 4:14 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 5:57 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 am wrote:That's  Rodgers for ya. Fans, tradition, winning mentality, none of it matters under this man.
So f**k if players have to travel a bit. What the f**k are these guys paid to do? The fans want trophies and the manager should be trying to win them.

Practically every English team that starts the season in the EL and goes quite far in the tournament suffers in the Prem. That 2pm Sunday KO time is the graveyard shift of English football.
Besides I'm sure if draw a team in the early stages that aren't Slovakian or Moldovian part timers with a name that would score about 50 in scrabble then Brendan will put out a better side.

2001...... we won the uefa cup, league cup, fa cup....and we finished 3rd.

Like I have previously mentioned....we need a winning mentality manager if we are to be successful. Rodgers is a mid-table average british manager. He belongs in the same "league" as tactics tim and woy hodgson. We cannot hope for success with Rodgers at the helm.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 4:45 pm

Was Shankly a winning manager when he took over at Liverpool?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 5:18 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 3:45 pm wrote:Was Shankly a winning manager when he took over at Liverpool?
???

I like how you opted to omit the word 'mentality' there :nod
RedAnt

Postby andy_g » Mon May 04, 2015 5:21 pm

RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 3:00 pm wrote:
I may be wrong, but wouldn't we need to go through a qualification process similar to the Europa for finishing fourth?

let's see if i've remembered this right;

from 5th place in the league we'd have to play 17 europa league games to win it
from 4th place in the league we'd have to play 15 champions league games to win it

so its true, in terms of actual games there is hardly anything in it. for some reason that i can't explain right now though, the thursday and sunday schedule seems to be a disadvantage. something to do with preparation and training times. maybe someone else could explain that better. maybe its that champions league teams have more (apologies for the cliche) strength in depth...?

the main difference is just who you can attract. last year we got back into the CL after a few years absence, so we have to admit we still weren't the biggest pull for big players. if we somehow qualify again this year we have a different air of permanence and will be a more attractive proposition to your average mercenary multi-millionaire modern superstar footballer. there is also the prize money available - something like 5 million for winning the europa and 15 million for winning the CL plus all the respective extras for group stage wins, semi wins, etc etc.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 5:23 pm

RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 4:18 pm wrote:
Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 3:45 pm wrote:Was Shankly a winning manager when he took over at Liverpool?
???

Define "winning mentality" please?
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 6:05 pm

andy_g » Mon May 04, 2015 4:21 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 3:00 pm wrote:

let's see if i've remembered this right;

from 5th place in the league we'd have to play 17 europa league games to win it
from 4th place in the league we'd have to play 15 champions league games to win it

so its true, in terms of actual games there is hardly anything in it. for some reason that i can't explain right now though, the thursday and sunday schedule seems to be a disadvantage. something to do with preparation and training times. maybe someone else could explain that better. maybe its that champions league teams have more (apologies for the cliche) strength in depth...?

the main difference is just who you can attract. last year we got back into the CL after a few years absence, so we have to admit we still weren't the biggest pull for big players. if we somehow qualify again this year we have a different air of permanence and will be a more attractive proposition to your average mercenary multi-millionaire modern superstar footballer. there is also the prize money available - something like 5 million for winning the europa and 15 million for winning the CL plus all the respective extras for group stage wins, semi wins, etc etc.

I wasn't questioning the difference. But of course you're listing differences from a managers point of view. As The Rock said, we've showed in the past it's possible to compete on multiple fronts. Other teams have proved it too. And after what will be four seasons of building and the money invested, one might hope we'd be one of those teams capable of it. And now we're talking of playing kids in next years contest so we can have a crack at CL qualification again. I see BR has certainly lowered some expectations already. You're a fan. Surely you expect more too? Take off the managers gegs and take a peek through your own eyes.
RedAnt

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 6:08 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 4:23 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 4:18 pm wrote:
???

I won't get suckered into that. I could give plenty of examples of those I think display a winning mentality and those that display losing ones if you want. But I'd ultimately end up being philosophical and stretching the point.
RedAnt

Postby andy_g » Mon May 04, 2015 6:20 pm

RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 6:05 pm wrote:
I wasn't questioning the difference. But of course you're listing differences from a managers point of view. As The Rock said, we've showed in the past it's possible to compete on multiple fronts. Other teams have proved it too. And after what will be four seasons of building and the money invested, one might hope we'd be one of those teams capable of it. And now we're talking of playing kids in next years contest so we can have a crack at CL qualification again. I see BR has certainly lowered some expectations already. You're a fan. Surely you expect more too? Take off the managers gegs and take a peek through your own eyes.

i think you are misunderstanding me. i'm trying to give an impartial view to be honest, a pragmatic one even, and certainly one through my own eyes. i also think that some of what now has reached loathing for rodgers is colouring peoples' interpretations of what he is saying. i can actually understand why he might think that blooding 2 or 3 promising 'breakthrough' players in the europa league might be productive for us both for the future and for current squad peformances in the league.

i would love more, but if i'm realistic a don't expect it. the level of squad we have got, and the quality of players we can attract at the moment, isn't going to be enough to progress in the league while at the same time having a crack at winning the europa league. if we somehow scrape into the CL i would expect us to be able to sign a couple more players who'll allow us to at least give us a decent showing but get nowhere near winning the thing.

that's not the manager lowering expectations, its being realistic about our level as a club in all recent seasons apart from the last freakish one.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 6:56 pm

andy_g » Mon May 04, 2015 5:20 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 6:05 pm wrote:

i think you are misunderstanding me. i'm trying to give an impartial view to be honest, a pragmatic one even, and certainly one through my own eyes. i also think that some of what now has reached loathing for rodgers is colouring peoples' interpretations of what he is saying. i can actually understand why he might think that blooding 2 or 3 promising 'breakthrough' players in the europa league might be productive for us both for the future and for current squad peformances in the league.

i would love more, but if i'm realistic a don't expect it. the level of squad we have got, and the quality of players we can attract at the moment, isn't going to be enough to progress in the league while at the same time having a crack at winning the europa league. if we somehow scrape into the CL i would expect us to be able to sign a couple more players who'll allow us to at least give us a decent showing but get nowhere near winning the thing.

that's not the manager lowering expectations, its being realistic about our level as a club in all recent seasons apart from the last freakish one.

My apologies. I did misunderstand.

I'm not one for insulting the manager. I agree that people make their minds up on snippets of information at times, but news comes through in other distorting forms too and at those who defend Rodgers do likewise. See Thommo's post above and how it changes the theme of the thread entirely. But even your own opinion seems to accept that we are quickly falling down the power charts in world football. How do we reverse that? By bringing in good players, managing them well, and winning things on the pitch, to name but three. We're doing none of those things, and if recent showings are anything to go by, we won't be anytime soon either. Something has to change, and with Klopp available, in my eyes it might as well be the manager.
Not that much has changed since last season. Suarez leaving is a major factor. His goals and assists accounted for a huge percentage of our total. Some posters say it wasn't only Suarez, BR got the best out of him. A good coach would, nay, should get the best out of his players. Yet it's used to rate BR's overall skills as Liverpool manager. Well, Suarez left. BR couldn't persuade him to stay. Couldn't bring in top names to play with him. Couldn't replace him. Nor could the committee, apparently. So we go forth into the season with a decent enough squad. Not great. Lots of unknowns. But we have Brendan. Suarez is gone, but BR is still here. That's why all the arrows are pointing down right now. Owners, players leaving, poor wage structure, transfer committees, all make good excuses but most now realise the core issue I think.
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 9:30 pm

RedAnt: I won't get suckered into that. I could give plenty of examples of those I think display a winning mentality and those that display losing ones if you want. But I'd ultimately end up being philosophical and stretching the point.

Translation: "I cant"
Thank you so much
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 9:33 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 8:30 pm wrote:Define "winning mentality" please?

RedAnt: I won't get suckered into that. I could give plenty of examples of those I think display a winning mentality and those that display losing ones if you want. But I'd ultimately end up being philosophical and stretching the point.[/quote]

Translation: "I cant"
Thank you so much
:eyebrow[/quote]

Can you? Does Rodgers have it? Because thats the question. You decided to use a legend to change a fellow posters point without adding much. Shankly was a winner. He had a winning mentality.
RedAnt

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 9:39 pm

Thommo, Shanks and Paisley are before my time. I don't know how old you are but I bet you're more knowledable about our history and stuff than I am. Do you remember them? What were they like? Would they play two holding MFs in must-win home matches? I remember Kennys first stint and I remember his will to win. I remember him winning a lot! What's Brendan won in his years in the game? You do the analysis. I'm sure you don't need me to do it.
RedAnt

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 9:42 pm

RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm wrote:Thommo, Shanks and Paisley are before my time. I don't know how old you are but I bet you're more knowledable about our history and stuff than I am. Do you remember them? What were they like? Would they play two holding MFs in must-win home matches? I remember Kennys first stint and I remember his will to win. I remember him winning a lot! What's Brendan won in his years in the game? You do the analysis. I'm sure you don't need me to do it.

Why make the statement if you dont know the answer?
???
Thommo's perm

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Thommo's perm » Mon May 04, 2015 8:42 pm wrote:
RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 8:39 pm wrote:Thommo, Shanks and Paisley are before my time. I don't know how old you are but I bet you're more knowledable about our history and stuff than I am. Do you remember them? What were they like? Would they play two holding MFs in must-win home matches? I remember Kennys first stint and I remember his will to win. I remember him winning a lot! What's Brendan won in his years in the game? You do the analysis. I'm sure you don't need me to do it.

Why make the statement if you dont know the answer?
???

What the fook are you talking about?
RedAnt

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion