Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Reg » Mon May 04, 2015 9:50 am

He's done it again.. every time he opens his mouth he says the wrong thing. So we've given up on next year's UEFA Cup even before this season's over??  Below from teh Echo:

Brendan Rodgers says the Europa League could give an opportunity for Liverpool’s rising young stars to force their way into the first team picture next season - if the club do miss out on the holy grail of Champions League football.

Is he saying the UEFA Cup is no more important than the Milk Cup?   :Oo:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 10:38 am

Brendan's right, the early stages of the Europa League are a joke and that Thursday/Sunday thing doesn't help league form either. If it wasn't for the fact it is a way into the CL it wouldn't bother me if we went out in the first round.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon May 04, 2015 11:23 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 5:38 pm wrote:Brendan's right, the early stages of the Europa League are a joke and that Thursday/Sunday thing doesn't help league form either. If it wasn't for the fact it is a way into the CL it wouldn't bother me if we went out in the first round.

I think we have to cover the teams ridiculous salaries don't we Yakka?
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon May 04, 2015 11:33 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 9:38 am wrote:Brendan's right, the early stages of the Europa League are a joke and that Thursday/Sunday thing doesn't help league form either. If it wasn't for the fact it is a way into the CL it wouldn't bother me if we went out in the first round.

This exact approach brought us to where we are as a club...Mediocrity and a false sense of entitlement as if we are destined to CL football....BR which made no impact on the local level not to mention European level needs to spit blood and sweat trying winning the Europa league and Both local Cups and after that aim for CL and premier league titles. Such excuses make us the laughing stock of every fan out their.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 11:35 am

That's  Rodgers for ya. Fans, tradition, winning mentality, none of it matters under this man.
So f**k if players have to travel a bit. What the f**k are these guys paid to do? The fans want trophies and the manager should be trying to win them.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby andy_g » Mon May 04, 2015 11:50 am

let's look a little more closely at the article:

"Brendan Rodgers says the Europa League could give an opportunity for Liverpool’s rising young stars to force their way into the first team picture next season"

could not will

"Many supporters indeed would shed no tears if Liverpool missed out on the Europa places – something unlikely after Southampton’s weekend defeat – but Rodgers is aware of the potential benefits of the competition in blooding his young talent"

many of the people on here incessantly criticising the manager's every word have also expressed the opinion that we might be better off not being in the competition at all. so the manager's attitude is actually more positive than that of many of his critics.

“If you go back to my first year here when we were in the Europa League it was in that competition that we found some of our young players. I gave a lot of them the opportunity, a chance for the likes of Raheem and Andre Wisdom and young Suso, and in the end we finished on the top of that group with 10 points"

young players like wilson, kent and ibe are only a year or so younger than sterling is now, and the same age as he was or even older as he was when he entered the first team.

“it will be an opportunity for young players I’m sure and a competition that we will want to do well in.”

or in other words not talking about throwing in the towel before a ball is kicked

it's clear that many people are of the opnion that rodgers is not the man to take us forward and i have no great issue with that. but the desperation to twist his words in order to find every possible stick to beat him with is getting a little ridiculous, tedious and (dare i say it..?) pathetic now.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 11:57 am

RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 am wrote:That's  Rodgers for ya. Fans, tradition, winning mentality, none of it matters under this man.
So f**k if players have to travel a bit. What the f**k are these guys paid to do? The fans want trophies and the manager should be trying to win them.

Practically every English team that starts the season in the EL and goes quite far in the tournament suffers in the Prem. That 2pm Sunday KO time is the graveyard shift of English football.
Besides I'm sure if draw a team in the early stages that aren't Slovakian or Moldovian part timers with a name that would score about 50 in scrabble then Brendan will put out a better side.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Mon May 04, 2015 12:01 pm

andy_g » Mon May 04, 2015 10:50 am wrote:let's look a little more closely at the article:

"Brendan Rodgers says the Europa League could give an opportunity for Liverpool’s rising young stars to force their way into the first team picture next season"

could not will

"Many supporters indeed would shed no tears if Liverpool missed out on the Europa places – something unlikely after Southampton’s weekend defeat – but Rodgers is aware of the potential benefits of the competition in blooding his young talent"

many of the people on here incessantly criticising the manager's every word have also expressed the opinion that we might be better off not being in the competition at all. so the manager's attitude is actually more positive than that of many of his critics.

“If you go back to my first year here when we were in the Europa League it was in that competition that we found some of our young players. I gave a lot of them the opportunity, a chance for the likes of Raheem and Andre Wisdom and young Suso, and in the end we finished on the top of that group with 10 points"

young players like wilson, kent and ibe are only a year or so younger than sterling is now, and the same age as he was or even older as he was when he entered the first team.

“it will be an opportunity for young players I’m sure and a competition that we will want to do well in.”

or in other words not talking about throwing in the towel before a ball is kicked

it's clear that many people are of the opnion that rodgers is not the man to take us forward and i have no great issue with that. but the desperation to twist his words in order to find every possible stick to beat him with is getting a little ridiculous, tedious and (dare i say it..?) pathetic now.

Really so it's us doing the twisting not you or BR??? What's the evident outcome of playing young players in Europe i'll tell you in case you missed ,it means you are out on early stages!! BR wrapping this in a more positive words only to sugarcoat his intentions to throw the towel. I can't believe you can defend this utter krap.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Mon May 04, 2015 12:09 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am wrote:
RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 10:35 am wrote:That's  Rodgers for ya. Fans, tradition, winning mentality, none of it matters under this man.

Practically every English team that starts the season in the EL and goes quite far in the tournament suffers in the Prem. That 2pm Sunday KO time is the graveyard shift of English football.
Besides I'm sure if draw a team in the early stages that aren't Slovakian or Moldovian part timers with a name that would score about 50 in scrabble then Brendan will put out a better side.

Put a better side....Like he did this year in the CL right...Or against the Turks right....Come on what's to defend here ,the man can't get his players to play for HIM what else does a manager needs to understand? He lost the dressing room ,he lost his tactics ,his composure ,his skills and he lost a hell lot of money as well.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon May 04, 2015 12:33 pm

This season isn't even over and he is already banging on about next season  :down: What an arrogant little man.
What kills me is that he isn't talking about marquee players but more kids from the academy that he is going to use in a european competition.
Get him out already  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Mon May 04, 2015 12:39 pm

only me » Mon May 04, 2015 12:01 pm wrote:
Really so it's us doing the twisting not you or BR??? What's the evident outcome of playing young players in Europe i'll tell you in case you missed ,it means you are out on early stages!! BR wrapping this in a more positive words only to sugarcoat his intentions to throw the towel. I can't believe you can defend this utter krap.

as yakka also points out, it is widely known that the grueling europa league + premier league schedule can really mess with a squad's performance levels over a season. i think all of us would prefer to have a decent run in the europa with a mix of first-teamers and some younger players and have a proper crack at getting back in the top 4, than a long shot at winning the thing and risking knackering the first team before february.

its not perfect by any means, but it might possibly be the best way of managing the clubs resources while maximising the possibilities for the 16/17 season regardless of who the manager is.

for my own part, i've defended rodgers for longer than most but i have to admit i'm also beginning to question if its best to keep him on. what i am certain about though, is that the level of criticism and personal scorn being poured on him is getting a bit extreme and desperate now.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 12:42 pm

only me » Mon May 04, 2015 11:09 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 04, 2015 10:57 am wrote:

Put a better side....Like he did this year in the CL right...Or against the Turks right....Come on what's to defend here ,the man can't get his players to play for HIM what else does a manager needs to understand? He lost the dressing room ,he lost his tactics ,his composure ,his skills and he lost a hell lot of money as well.

You'd swear we were 4th to bottom the way some of you are carrying on, not 5th with an outside chance of qualifying for the CL. Supporting a football club is not all sunshine and roses mate, it never has been and it never will be.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon May 04, 2015 1:05 pm

It's a pointless statement to make, because he doesn't trust the academy  players anyway.  He deserves all the criticism he gets, because he's the one that has messed it all up on the playing field, and much more.

He said could.....well, if he did play them anyway, it'll be a fantastic way to destroy any confidence they have and p**s everyone off because he hasn't given them a chance in the first team so far has he

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RedAnt » Mon May 04, 2015 1:31 pm

andy_g » Mon May 04, 2015 10:50 am wrote:let's look a little more closely at the article:

could not will

I don't think he's saying he 'could' or 'could not' play them. I think he's saying they'll play and could or could not be a success. Why doesn't he simply honour every competition? If he needs a bigger squad, get one. But this season was about squad depth wasn't it? Millions of pounds of it, and a wasted season. Sorry, a TRANSITIONAL period. Now he wants marquee signings to complete the squad? So why all of this talk? Play the kids because we invest a fortune in the academy and the players are ready, not because we have a lot of games to play and several fronts to compete on. It amazes me how much this man tries to lower our expectancies to fit his ability. But what amazes me more is that some fans actually buy into it.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 04, 2015 2:14 pm

I think what posters who afford any credence to this man's regular diatribes have conveniently missed ,is he's once again being presumptuous enough to suggest that
'we' given our form of late will actually qualify for any form of European competition. Once again its a cup he's dismissed before we've even qualified for the fucking
thing.  ???
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion