Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby maguskwt » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:36 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 am wrote:The daily mirror are saying that Rodgers has fallen out with one or two big name players, apparently he called a meeting where he accused one or two of downing tools and not playing for him and apparently the players in question were incensed by the accusation.
Over on RAWK they seem to think Rodgers has confirmed the meeting took place (though I couldn't find where they got that from) and they seem to think the journo who broke the story often gets stories from Sterlings agent (though again I'm not sure where they are getting that from).

If true, it's not good. I have defended BR because I feel that he is doing a good job, and building a solid team for now and for future. But the reported defeatist attitude shown by him, on giving up on finishing 4th, is feckin amateurish.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:29 pm

aCe' » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:25 pm wrote:
Im a bit curious as to why you think the potential in our team is frightening to be honest.

I think our playing staff are nowhere near as good as what our top4 competitors have.

Utd have the likes of Di Maria, Rooney, RVP, De Gea (all world class players). They also have some who arent far off from that level (Mata, Herrera, Falcao) and the rest are decent players.
Arsenal : Sanchez, Ozil (world class) and a whole host of players who are around top class
Obviously no need to go on about Chelsea and City.

We have no right to expect a top4 spot. Our squad has Sturridge, Gerrard, Coutinho and Sterling. None of them are world class but I guess many here would put them in that bracket below (many others wouldnt).

You look at the managers of these clubs and their experience. You look at the players brought in by all the contenders in the summer and in Jan. You look at the players the sides lost.

In my opinion, we overachieved last season. Not because of Rodgers, not because of the owners or our tactics, we did it because Suarez and Sturridge were playing at the top of their game. The manager got credit for allowing the players to express themselves last season but this time around, with no Suarez and with an injured Sturridge, he was found wanting a little bit.

I dont think hes a terrible manager. He makes a lot of mistakes that show his lack of experience and his record in the transfer market is abysmal. But he's brave enough to change it when needed and he does try to get the most out of his important players. An FA cup win and 5th place is the level this squad is at. You can blame him for Suarez leaving, for the money he wasted in every window, for his CL shambles, his handling of the Sterling situation, etc. but to finish ahead of Utd or Arsenal again without Suarez and with a misfiring Sturridge would have been a hell of an effort from him.   

If we could just loan Rodgers out to a Tottenham size club for 2 or 3 years...

That's why I added the word's 'if used correctly' ace ,I firmly believe that playing to this young teams strengths we're a match for anyone.
I mean lets face facts here the teams in the premiership aren't exactly tearing up the record books,and even though you've provided names
there are very few in my opinion that I would call genuinely world class.

Liverpool have always had a problem with managers playing players out of position ,but Rodgers seems to take this to extremes ,firstly with
Gerrard which we all agreed became ridiculous ,then you have Sterling and now Henderson played as WB . Henderson gave the ball away
23 times against Arsenal in that position, but when he's with Lucas in the middle he looks formidable and the energy he provides this team is
tangible.

Then you have Sturridge and Balotelli ,Rodgers has had more than enough games since Daniels return to have started them up front together
Sturridge needs a partner likewise Mario ,I mean he's even tried Lallana at WB a pairing that sounds strange even when you say it out loud
As for Markovic he's rarely played his natural position ..I just think he forces players to play in a position they neither like or look comfortable
in ,and in effect our play looks disjointed and the players lost. I think in the last few games he has nullified our threat by the changes he has
implemented in swapping players to positions not conducive with his own machinations ,the reason why continues to baffle me.

So I stand by what I said Ace, there is a nucleus of a very good team if you let them play to their respective strengths rather than stagnating
and stifling their game.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:59 pm

It’s understood that after the final whistle on Saturday, Rodgers was furious with his players and singled out ex-Gunners defender Kolo Toure for his poor performance.

Toure was to blame for several errors at the back and gifted Olivier Giroud the fourth and final goal.

According to Jim Boardman, a writer with the Anfield Wrap, the squad weren't impressed with their manager’s behaviour.

In fact he claims that several first-team players “tore strips off” Rodgers following his outburst:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:30 pm

Brendan Rodgers says Liverpool FC's formation has not been 'worked out'

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brendan-rodgers-says-liverpool-fcs-8989165
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:54 pm

Results wise, Rodgers has done very well since the turn of the year. However fine margins count and these two losses have made it extremely unlikely of us getting into top four and that coupled with the poor showing in the CL may well seal Rodgers fate imo.

Things are very different nowadays and managers won't get the time they once did say 20 years or so ago. Maybe if we win the FA cup, it may save him,  but just have a gut feeling, the owners are not going to tolerate finishing out of top four and a poor showing in the CL.
Doeboy

Postby Mikz » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:17 pm

defeatest attitude is a disgrace..he was on there buttering up the teams above us..Love his playing style but this team has no resilience whatsoever...
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:21 am

Rodgers is not a naturally born aggressive winner like Mourinho, he is a passive thinker like Wenger. The Mourinho's of this world will always sh!t on the Wenger's of this world.... thus is natural selection.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:22 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:29 pm wrote:
aCe' » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:25 pm wrote:
Im a bit curious as to why you think the potential in our team is frightening to be honest.

I think our playing staff are nowhere near as good as what our top4 competitors have.

Utd have the likes of Di Maria, Rooney, RVP, De Gea (all world class players). They also have some who arent far off from that level (Mata, Herrera, Falcao) and the rest are decent players.
Arsenal : Sanchez, Ozil (world class) and a whole host of players who are around top class
Obviously no need to go on about Chelsea and City.

We have no right to expect a top4 spot. Our squad has Sturridge, Gerrard, Coutinho and Sterling. None of them are world class but I guess many here would put them in that bracket below (many others wouldnt).

You look at the managers of these clubs and their experience. You look at the players brought in by all the contenders in the summer and in Jan. You look at the players the sides lost.

In my opinion, we overachieved last season. Not because of Rodgers, not because of the owners or our tactics, we did it because Suarez and Sturridge were playing at the top of their game. The manager got credit for allowing the players to express themselves last season but this time around, with no Suarez and with an injured Sturridge, he was found wanting a little bit.

I dont think hes a terrible manager. He makes a lot of mistakes that show his lack of experience and his record in the transfer market is abysmal. But he's brave enough to change it when needed and he does try to get the most out of his important players. An FA cup win and 5th place is the level this squad is at. You can blame him for Suarez leaving, for the money he wasted in every window, for his CL shambles, his handling of the Sterling situation, etc. but to finish ahead of Utd or Arsenal again without Suarez and with a misfiring Sturridge would have been a hell of an effort from him.   

If we could just loan Rodgers out to a Tottenham size club for 2 or 3 years...

That's why I added the word's 'if used correctly' ace ,I firmly believe that playing to this young teams strengths we're a match for anyone.
I mean lets face facts here the teams in the premiership aren't exactly tearing up the record books,and even though you've provided names
there are very few in my opinion that I would call genuinely world class.

Liverpool have always had a problem with managers playing players out of position ,but Rodgers seems to take this to extremes ,firstly with
Gerrard which we all agreed became ridiculous ,then you have Sterling and now Henderson played as WB . Henderson gave the ball away
23 times against Arsenal in that position, but when he's with Lucas in the middle he looks formidable and the energy he provides this team is
tangible.

Then you have Sturridge and Balotelli ,Rodgers has had more than enough games since Daniels return to have started them up front together
Sturridge needs a partner likewise Mario ,I mean he's even tried Lallana at WB a pairing that sounds strange even when you say it out loud
As for Markovic he's rarely played his natural position ..I just think he forces players to play in a position they neither like or look comfortable
in ,and in effect our play looks disjointed and the players lost. I think in the last few games he has nullified our threat by the changes he has
implemented in swapping players to positions not conducive with his own machinations ,the reason why continues to baffle me.

So I stand by what I said Ace, there is a nucleus of a very good team if you let them play to their respective strengths rather than stagnating
and stifling their game.

I completely agree with most of that RBG... My point remains though, none of the sides in the league have played to their full potential, if all the top4 contenders do, we'd end 5. If they all dont, our squad is the 5th best and thats where we realistically should be. We came close to playing to our full potential last season but a main reason we did was because of Suarez and his efficiency in the final third. We also has Sturridge scoring with every other touch and that helped massively. This season, we didnt have Suarez, and Sturridge (1 of 3 or 4 top4/CL standard players we have) might as well have sat out the entire season. We found it hard and I agree that the manager is to blame to a large extent. I would have loved it if we came into this season with the same formation we had last season. I dont think Gerrard was a liability; maybe defensively we looked a bit suspect but he made a much better attacking side controlling the game from deeper. Sterling was played in aposition that utilized his talents and as you said, Sturridge needs a partner upfront.

We didnt do that, and we'll miss out on the top4 this season. What I would like is for us to go out and buy some top talent in the summer window. The only way to get consistency in this league is by having better players than the sides around you. You do that and you'll get more points more often than not.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:52 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:59 pm wrote:It’s understood that after the final whistle on Saturday, Rodgers was furious with his players and singled out ex-Gunners defender Kolo Toure for his poor performance.

Toure was to blame for several errors at the back and gifted Olivier Giroud the fourth and final goal.

According to Jim Boardman, a writer with the Anfield Wrap, the squad weren't impressed with their manager’s behaviour.

In fact he claims that several first-team players “tore strips off” Rodgers following his outburst:

The players should have tore the suit off the back of BR, doused him in tar and feathers and paraded him at his daily press gathering
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby Thommo's perm » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:52 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:59 pm wrote:It’s understood that after the final whistle on Saturday, Rodgers was furious with his players and singled out ex-Gunners defender Kolo Toure for his poor performance.

Toure would have a Fu*king cheek to be upset at criticism after such a sh'it performance against arsenal?
In fact Im struggling to think of anyone who shouldnt have been slated for their performance?
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby Reg » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:02 pm

I'm surprised the media have been so kind with Liverpool imploding.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:51 pm

aCe' » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:22 am wrote:

I completely agree with most of that RBG... My point remains though, none of the sides in the league have played to their full potential, if all the top4 contenders do, we'd end 5. If they all dont, our squad is the 5th best and thats where we realistically should be. We came close to playing to our full potential last season but a main reason we did was because of Suarez and his efficiency in the final third. We also has Sturridge scoring with every other touch and that helped massively. This season, we didnt have Suarez, and Sturridge (1 of 3 or 4 top4/CL standard players we have) might as well have sat out the entire season. We found it hard and I agree that the manager is to blame to a large extent. I would have loved it if we came into this season with the same formation we had last season. I dont think Gerrard was a liability; maybe defensively we looked a bit suspect but he made a much better attacking side controlling the game from deeper. Sterling was played in aposition that utilized his talents and as you said, Sturridge needs a partner upfront.

We didnt do that, and we'll miss out on the top4 this season. What I would like is for us to go out and buy some top talent in the summer window. The only way to get consistency in this league is by having better players than the sides around you. You do that and you'll get more points more often than not.

I'd go along with that aCe ,I think if this season we would have invested enough money in a quality and proven replacement for Suarez ,and made that position priority
then we would 'arguably' be better off ,but for some reason we invested in the potential of Can and Markovic and then frittered the rest on Lallana and Lovren,based I'm surmising on a relatively  successful season with Southampton.

I still believe Can and Markovic will prove astute purchases ,and if Lallana is granted the freedom he had at Southampton he could indeed flourish ,but for me Lovren
allows himself to be dragged out of position far too regularly. This season I think in terms of how we set up ,notably against Southampton at our place ,it was apparent
even then that denying Gerrard the space to pick a pass  would see us surrender a large percentage of the control we had in games the previous season ,yet because of
goals from  Sterling then Sturridge both playing to their respective strengths we picked up all three points , but the runs of Clyne and co had Lovren being pulled out of
position far too many times that could be claimed comfortable.  I could run a fine tooth comb through many similar games aCe ,but this one was dismissed because we
were supposedly finding our feet ,but the amount of possession Southampton had in that first half was alarming and then we went to City and were given a veritable
football lesson.

I guess what I'm saying is Liverpool managers often claim that our season and fluency wont kick on until halfway through the season ,and yet although this has often
been the case ,other managers use this as a period to evolve into a team that's hard to beat ,and give themselves a platform to be challenging when the cohesion
eventually returns ,Rodgers persisted with a formation and mind set that made us easily read, he played Gerrard consistently in a position that was evident to all
would be 60 % of an opposing managers team talk ,the other 40% making the space Johnson regularly abandons a clear target for their attack.

Top managers in the game simply don't wring the life out of a system that's clearly not working ,they move on quickly.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:04 am

Another jammy win for the manager who is out of his depth
:eyebrow
Thommo's perm

Postby Boocity » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:27 am

Thommo's perm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:04 pm wrote:Another jammy win for the manager who is out of his depth

Great Thommo, we have shown that we can beat Blackburn 1-0 who are mid table in the Championship but in our previous two games concede 7 goals to two of the teams in the top 4
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:29 am

Thommo's perm » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:04 pm wrote:Another jammy win for the manager who is out of his depth

I'd keep your dick in your pants for now fella  ,it was only 'BLACKBURN' after all  :laugh:
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion