Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby metalhead » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:12 pm

Wins the FA cup and he has another chance, another season.

Other than that, I think we should be looking for another manager by the end of the season.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:38 pm

metalhead » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:12 am wrote:Wins the FA cup and he has another chance, another season.

Other than that, I think we should be looking for another manager by the end of the season.

I can't see us winning that, besides the fact we have got our hands full trying to get past Blackburn with a makeshift defence even if we do beat them (and Villa) we will have to play Arsenal in the final.
Gerrard would be almost certain to start and on a big pitch like Wembley against a passing side like Arsenal it would be as good as being down to ten men.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:41 pm

I still have a bit of hope!  :D
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:43 pm

To say I am disappointed by the last couple of results is an understatement, in my view BR seems to do well when we are playing well and he can pretty much put out the same team every week but if things start to go wrong he is far too slow to react and get us back on track, we lost to Man U and instead of regrouping and getting us playing back to the way we have been while on our run, we see a similar trait as to what was happening earlier this season with strange team selection, tactics and playing players out of position, my concern is that we are going full circle to the early part of the season which saw some of the worst football and results we have seen from a Liverpool side for many a year. Will he get us playing well again? Well I am sure he will but probably far too late to get anything out of this season. Is he the right manager to see us through the next few seasons, probably not as we may have another good run next year but I just can't see the consistency required to compete regularly at the top of the table, BR's leadership is far too boom and bust for me.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:59 pm

metalhead » Apr 5th, '15, 12:12 wrote:Wins the FA cup and he has another chance, another season.

Nope, even if he manages that, he is likely going to be moved on and rightly so (unless, and this is a very big if becuase his job is on the line right now, he accpets a DoF).  You know LFC spent near to £130M in transfer fees. On top of that £15M + in agent fees and on top of all that, £££m player signing on fees and much more besides......

He's taken LFC back to square one. In the summer, he decides to completely rebuild because one player left. Essentially, he replaced 1 player with 7, and some of those weren't even required positions. GK was one position he really needed to bring in and didn't. He is very naive and totally awful with the media. As some have said, foot in mouth each time, that is why the media love him, he gives it to them on a plate. He's been told about this so many times, but he doesn't listen, he just doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut.

The system with 3 at the back was found out 6 or 7 weeks ago, yet he persists on playing this system. He doesn't change anything unless he is forced to. He hasn't learn't anything because he continues to make the same mistakes.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:00 pm

Liverpool Echo ,Ian Doyle

Since taking over at Anfield, Rodgers has won only five of 23 Premier League games against top-four rivals Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Of course, there are many other top-flight teams who possess a similar or inferior record.

But these teams aren't challenging at the top end of the table. They don’t harbour hopes of winning the title.

Look at this season. Liverpool have now lost at Arsenal, City and United, been beaten at home by Chelsea and United and were within a minute of doing likewise against
the Gunners.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/arsenal-4-liverpool-1-talking-8984900?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 6:20 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:00 pm wrote:Liverpool Echo ,Ian Doyle

Since taking over at Anfield, Rodgers has won only five of 23 Premier League games against top-four rivals Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea.

Of course, there are many other top-flight teams who possess a similar or inferior record.

But these teams aren't challenging at the top end of the table. They don’t harbour hopes of winning the title.

Look at this season. Liverpool have now lost at Arsenal, City and United, been beaten at home by Chelsea and United and were within a minute of doing likewise against
the Gunners.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/arsenal-4-liverpool-1-talking-8984900?

To be fair he's been unlucky in quite a few of those clashes against the top teams, we've been leading City twice with only minutes left on the clock only for errors by Skrtel and Reina to gift City a draw. Same against United, in his first season we played them off the park but went down to ten men when Shelvey was sent off. Even this season, we should have beat Arsenal at Anfield, we played them off the park, Chelsea too.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:00 am

red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:52 am

It's the same rubbish all over again. He is truly awful with the media - foot in mouth every time. He's been told countless times to stop, but he doesn't listen. Get a court order if necessary to gag him from talking to the Press.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby RedAnt » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:01 am

Kash_Mountain » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 am wrote:

It's the same rubbish all over again. He is truly awful with the media - foot in mouth every time. He's been told countless times to stop, but he doesn't listen. Get a court order if necessary to gag him from talking to the Press.

He's just planning ahead for a change. Laying the groundwork for next seasons excuses. It's a bit of a strategy of BR's to lower expectations. He's basically saying what we all already know. No big money and no big signings for next season, and more failure.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:56 am

The daily mirror are saying that Rodgers has fallen out with one or two big name players, apparently he called a meeting where he accused one or two of downing tools and not playing for him and apparently the players in question were incensed by the accusation.
Over on RAWK they seem to think Rodgers has confirmed the meeting took place (though I couldn't find where they got that from) and they seem to think the journo who broke the story often gets stories from Sterlings agent (though again I'm not sure where they are getting that from).
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:20 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm wrote:

the Gunners.

To be fair he's been unlucky in quite a few of those clashes against the top teams, we've been leading City twice with only minutes left on the clock only for errors by Skrtel and Reina to gift City a draw. Same against United, in his first season we played them off the park but went down to ten men when Shelvey was sent off. Even this season, we should have beat Arsenal at Anfield, we played them off the park, Chelsea too.

To be honest mate there are teams in the bottom half of the table that could say similar ,I think that's what Doyle is making reference to ,prizes aren't doled out for
glorious failure ,we all know the potential in our team is frightening if used correctly ,you even said yourself that team should be challenging mate ...I've thought
that for a while myself ,on paper its a team that should be still in Europe and comfortably in the top four.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:21 pm

RedAnt » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:01 am wrote:
Kash_Mountain » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:52 am wrote:

He's just planning ahead for a change. Laying the groundwork for next seasons excuses. It's a bit of a strategy of BR's to lower expectations. He's basically saying what we all already know. No big money and no big signings for next season, and more failure.

And NO BR if we finish without CL spot ,i hope.
It's a disgraceful interview ,moaning over the outcome which he is the mastermind of it's folding. He had CL football this year ,he had Millions and Millions this year ,he lost ONE player ,ONE!. Enough said.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:35 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:56 am wrote:The daily mirror are saying that Rodgers has fallen out with one or two big name players, apparently he called a meeting where he accused one or two of downing tools and not playing for him and apparently the players in question were incensed by the accusation.
Over on RAWK they seem to think Rodgers has confirmed the meeting took place (though I couldn't find where they got that from) and they seem to think the journo who broke the story often gets stories from Sterlings agent (though again I'm not sure where they are getting that from).

http://sport.bt.com/rodgers-denies-liverpool-crisis-meeting-rumours-91363973827558?
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:25 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:20 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 5:20 pm wrote:

the Gunners.

To be honest mate there are teams in the bottom half of the table that could say similar ,I think that's what Doyle is making reference to ,prizes aren't doled out for
glorious failure ,we all know the potential in our team is frightening if used correctly ,you even said yourself that team should be challenging mate ...I've thought
that for a while myself ,on paper its a team that should be still in Europe and comfortably in the top four.

Im a bit curious as to why you think the potential in our team is frightening to be honest.

I think our playing staff are nowhere near as good as what our top4 competitors have.

Utd have the likes of Di Maria, Rooney, RVP, De Gea (all world class players). They also have some who arent far off from that level (Mata, Herrera, Falcao) and the rest are decent players.
Arsenal : Sanchez, Ozil (world class) and a whole host of players who are around top class
Obviously no need to go on about Chelsea and City.

We have no right to expect a top4 spot. Our squad has Sturridge, Gerrard, Coutinho and Sterling. None of them are world class but I guess many here would put them in that bracket below (many others wouldnt).

You look at the managers of these clubs and their experience. You look at the players brought in by all the contenders in the summer and in Jan. You look at the players the sides lost.

In my opinion, we overachieved last season. Not because of Rodgers, not because of the owners or our tactics, we did it because Suarez and Sturridge were playing at the top of their game. The manager got credit for allowing the players to express themselves last season but this time around, with no Suarez and with an injured Sturridge, he was found wanting a little bit.

I dont think hes a terrible manager. He makes a lot of mistakes that show his lack of experience and his record in the transfer market is abysmal. But he's brave enough to change it when needed and he does try to get the most out of his important players. An FA cup win and 5th place is the level this squad is at. You can blame him for Suarez leaving, for the money he wasted in every window, for his CL shambles, his handling of the Sterling situation, etc. but to finish ahead of Utd or Arsenal again without Suarez and with a misfiring Sturridge would have been a hell of an effort from him.   

If we could just loan Rodgers out to a Tottenham size club for 2 or 3 years...
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion