Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby Reg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:24 am

Wenger's record is good too but he never actually wins things. Problem is Liverpool are lower than Arsenal, we're more like Spurs and they haven't won anything since Danny Blanchflower. Our expectations have to be lowered, reality is we're 5-6th place material.

If we want to be a conservative Arsenal/Spurs side then that's not what I and most other Reds fans signed up for. When we fell in love with the Reds we were a win at all costs side. If we're not going to fight tooth and nail for every point every week and have the manager and players to allow us to compete with and beat the best, then it's time to buy some pigeons and cancel Sky.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thommo's perm » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:21 am

He got it wrong. Massively, totally wrong. From the selection of Gerrard to the bringing on Johnson, right up to leaving Lambert until there were 3 minutes left. I didnt fancy us before the game due to the negativity that we have had for the last month or so and unfortunately I was proven right. I can only think of Coutinho who at least had a go and the rest should hang their heads in shame for that performance, including the manager.
Changes need to be made at the end of the season...
:glare:
Thommo's perm

Postby aCe' » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:43 am

Reg » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:31 am wrote:If you took the best player from Leicseter, Burnley, Palace and QPR you'd have a far better basis for a side than the international super stars we have today.

This relates to you last post. Sorry to drag it from a different thread Reg.

Not true. That seems to be our transfer strategy and we have a side thats marginally better than everyone outside the top 4.

What we need are players who come in and make a difference. The Ozils, Hazards, etc. who cost more and produce on a more consistent basis than your average Sunderland or Swansea player of the season.

To be perfectly frank, Rodgers will get most of the blame and rightly so, but I still maintain that there isnt enough quality in our squad to warrant a top 4 spot. Him getting us a CL spot with what we have would have required us overachieving and one of the other top 4 significantly underachieving. We could go out and bring any manager in world football but until we sort out the playing squad we wont get anywhere.

My main concern is that over the years, Rodgers has been given the money. From 23 players he signed, only 2 (Sturridge and Coutinho) have proven to be top4 quality players. He spent over 220 mill bringing in players and the 2 quality players he brought in have have cost less than 10% of what he spent. Many will argue that the jury is still out on the likes of Lallana, Markovic, Lovren (all 20mill + players) but realistically very few expect them to reach the levels you'd want given the amounts spent.

As things stand, we have 3 players who are able to consistently contribute at a level comparable to our top4 competition: Sterling (admittedly overrated), Coutinho and Sturridge. In Henderson we have a decent (admittedly overrated) midfield option who will never control a game but might prove useful with better player around him. In Sakho and Skrtel we have 2 good CBs who need a bit of consistency playing alongside each other. The rest of the players are all squad players at best. Can and Ibe seem to have potential and the likes of Lallana and Lucas are useful players to have around on the bench.

Whoever is manager next season, they'll have to :

a) Add to that first list of top quality players (a top quality CM is a must, as is another forward)
b) Find a formation to get the best out of our top players (No Sterling at wingback OR as a striker)
c) Get rid of the many mediocre players who are only getting game time because they are at the club (I fail to see what Allen, Manquillo, Johnson, Moreno, Markovic, Lambert, etc. bring to the table that a kid from the youth wouldn't).
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:43 am

BR is a small-time manager and we are a huge club with lots of tradition, history and supporters worldwide. People talk about BR being young and having potential. But what does that mean? How does one spot potential in a manager? Why do we need potential? We need a manager who can fit our status, not someone who may or may not come good once he's got a bit of experience in his job. Since when was LFC a work experience placement? What was BR doing before he came to us? He's had three years and lead us back to square one (or worse).
I simply can't stand to read this guys excuses anymore. It's insulting to every fans intelligence.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:32 am

RedAnt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:43 am wrote:BR is a small-time manager and we are a huge club with lots of tradition, history and supporters worldwide. People talk about BR being young and having potential. But what does that mean? How does one spot potential in a manager? Why do we need potential? We need a manager who can fit our status, not someone who may or may not come good once he's got a bit of experience in his job. Since when was LFC a work experience placement? What was BR doing before he came to us? He's had three years and lead us back to square one (or worse).
I simply can't stand to read this guys excuses anymore. It's insulting to every fans intelligence.

Rodgers is not the problem, I was reading over on RAWK that we have the 5th biggest wage bill in the league and that is more than likely where we will finish.
When he was handed the correct tools (i.e Suarez) he showed he could do the job, he moulded us in a terrific side playing terrific football.
Let me ask you a question, if Mourinho was here with this squad and Rodgers had Chelsea's squad who do you think would finish higher in the league?
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:47 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 am wrote:
RedAnt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:43 am wrote:BR is a small-time manager and we are a huge club with lots of tradition, history and supporters worldwide. People talk about BR being young and having potential. But what does that mean? How does one spot potential in a manager? Why do we need potential? We need a manager who can fit our status, not someone who may or may not come good once he's got a bit of experience in his job. Since when was LFC a work experience placement? What was BR doing before he came to us? He's had three years and lead us back to square one (or worse).

Rodgers is not the problem, I was reading over on RAWK that we have the 5th biggest wage bill in the league and that is more than likely where we will finish.
When he was handed the correct tools (i.e Suarez) he showed he could do the job, he moulded us in a terrific side playing terrific football.
Let me ask you a question, if Mourinho was here with this squad and Rodgers had Chelsea's squad who do you think would finish higher in the league?

An interesting question that might take an essay to answer correctly, but clearly Maureen can shape and motivate his players where as BR struggles. Jose creates the backs to the wall attitude that works very well and gets the fans on side whilst BR constantly baffles people with nonsense and alienates a significant portion of fans. I could go on and on about the vast differences between the two and how that might effect the outcome.

It's still 11 v 11. We lose again and again to teams with players technically inferior to ours. So a counter question for you that may give the answer to yours: Why did Tim Sherwoods Villa beat BR's reds?
RedAnt

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:12 am

RedAnt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:47 am wrote:

An interesting question that might take an essay to answer correctly, but clearly Maureen can shape and motivate his players where as BR struggles. Jose creates the backs to the wall attitude that works very well and gets the fans on side whilst BR constantly baffles people with nonsense and alienates a significant portion of fans. I could go on and on about the vast differences between the two and how that might effect the outcome.

It's still 11 v 11. We lose again and again to teams with players technically inferior to ours. So a counter question for you that may give the answer to yours: Why did Tim Sherwoods Villa beat BR's reds?

When you are talking about one specific game a number of factors (including luck) come into play.
Villa are obviously going through a purple patch while we are low on confidence, if we would have played them in February we probably would have put 5 past them. A few weeks ago Benteke couldnt hit a barn door and had looked awful for 12 months but atm he's in the middle of a great scoring run.
Let's not forget that Chelsea got knocked out of the very same competition by Bradford at Stamford Bridge after being 2-0 up.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RedAnt » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:18 am

But I'm not talking of one game. I'm using it as an example. There's been plenty of cases of teams beating us due to core factors like morale, motivation and man-management. There's also been plenty if cases where we've been simply outplayed, or out thought. As has been said many times, BR may well be a great coach, but he seems to lack in so many other key areas of football management. It's right there for all to see.
RedAnt

Postby only me » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:20 am

So Why do we even need a manager right?if  it's only matter of your wage Bill. Let's just save money (give it to Raheem instead :grinning:  ) on a manager.
Yakka i like you but it's pathetic this apologetic approach of yours ,The patient is dead we are just waiting for the official confirmation (No European football next year ,forget CL even Europa league) to "brand" this an epic managerial failure. I just can't understand the reason of being so persistent on coming with excuses for BR ,his criminal errors are plain out their to see it's not about feelings and subjective interpretation of the situation ,it's obvious to those who are analyzing the decisions made this year.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:30 am

At the end of the day. 

We are Liverpool.

We are the most sucessfull club in English football.

And we have a manager thats never won a trophy in his life.  (play off final doesnt count)

We should have a man in charge thats been there and done it. 

2+2 doesnt = 5.

It makes sense
Kopite-Jud

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:34 am

Because I actually think Brendan is about as good as we can do right now, all those fans expecting a big name like Klopp are living in la-la land. We are more likely to get Gary Monk.
Atm the Liverpool job is a poison chalice, any new manager here will be up against 4 clubs with vastly superior resources but he'll also have to contend with a fan base that expects the world and will jump on his back as soon as he doesn't come up with a miracle.
FSG don't want to sign big name players and they won't want an experienced big name manager telling them that their moneyball theory/computer program/transfer committee set up is all my @rse either.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby supersub » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:42 am

I'd sending him packing now....the man is a liability, a parody of what is expected of a manager of a "big club"....
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby only me » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:59 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:34 am wrote:Because I actually think Brendan is about as good as we can do right now, all those fans expecting a big name like Klopp are living in la-la land. We are more likely to get Gary Monk.
Atm the Liverpool job is a poison chalice, any new manager here will be up against 4 clubs with vastly superior resources but he'll also have to contend with a fan base that expects the world and will jump on his back as soon as he doesn't come up with a miracle.
FSG don't want to sign big name players and they won't want an experienced big name manager telling them that their moneyball theory/computer program/transfer committee set up is all my @rse either.

I'll surprise you i don't think we necessarily need a "big" name (Mancini is a terrible manager for example) but i want a manager which failed so miserably to leave. His mistakes this year were so profound and basic that it really warrants an early exit. So lets start with sorting this out.

As to the "moneyball Theory" it is just that ,speculation as if this is how decisions were made this year ,i don't buy that at all ,We paid 20+ for many players so i find it hard to believe FSG would have stopped in reaching deep in offering 10 or so more to bring quality if we have had our eyes on. BR and his band of impotent scouts couldn't produce anything of quality which is pathetic. I'll never understand how we didn't leverage the Suarez deal to bring Sanchez here it just blows me away. But it's much more then that...It's not understanding where we need to put the focus on ,wrong tactics ,stubbornness ,ability to mobilize/energize the players ,identify the pivotal minutes/games of the season and it continues on and on. It's not a computer software we can dump everything on.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:03 pm

Kopite-Jud » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:30 am wrote:At the end of the day. 

We are Liverpool.

We are the most sucessfull club in English football.

And we have a manager thats never won a trophy in his life.  (play off final doesnt count)

We should have a man in charge thats been there and done it. 

2+2 doesnt = 5.

It makes sense

Remember the names in the frame last time? Rodgers, Martinez, Lambert, AVB etc
The likes of Rafa, Capello etc were total non starters, they didn't fit the profile FSG were looking for.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:50 pm

20m on lovren,
20m on markovich,
12m on moreno,
20m on lallana,
16m on mario, who didnt even start a game in months,

these are all big money signings who are failing the club, all signed by br.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion