Job too big for Rodgers?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Is the job too big for Rodgers and last season was a flash in the pan down to Suarez carrying us?

Yes
55%
No
36%
Not sure
9%

Total votes : 78

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:59 pm

Kash_Mountain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:50 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Apr 4th, '15, 17:38 wrote:Well you lot might just get your wish, City are 4th and I think they'll definately be changing manager this summer. Everyone in football bar a few whiners in our fan base has admired the job Brendan has done here (especially the style of football) and I think City will come calling this summer. Their fans certainly want him.
The prospect of an open chequebook and signing players in order to win trophies instead of making a profit down the line may just tempt him.
Then the fun and games will really start.

Style of football!  why did he revert back to his old rubbish football at the start of the season and not do anything to change it until Christmas? that is what hurt LFC. Poor management.  The run of games he won, yes, great, what has that achieved now!! the season started in August not Christmas but BR probably forgot that because he seems to think that is when LFC's season starts.

FSG are still conducting a top down review of everything at LFC and are still looking at bringing in a DoF. If BR accepts working under a Dof, he may be given one more chance? if not, he'll be gone anyway (becuasse 4th and FA cup won't cut it). Only hope is that FSG stay well away from the likes of Klinsman and Bruce Arena cause they are just as terrible.

FSG has to also stop going for the cheap options when they go for a manager or DOF. Our head of development, youth team coaches are all in their 30s. They have to stop being fixated with signing youngish players and managers.

Get the right & experience staff in. Then they can go all moneyball with the players. The lack of experience and leadership Rodgers is showing is astounding.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:01 pm

The_Rock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:45 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:38 pm wrote:Well you lot might just get your wish, City are 4th and I think they'll definately be changing manager this summer. Everyone in football bar a few whiners in our fan base has admired the job Brendan has done here (especially the style of football) and I think City will come calling this summer. Their fans certainly want him.
The prospect of an open chequebook and signing players in order to win trophies instead of making a profit down the line may just tempt him.

Rodgers had so much problem handling big-name players like balotelli, sahin...etc.

You really think he can handle the yaya, kompany's... of the world ?

Rodgers can be a good manager but he has to surround himself with great coaches. Difference between Fergie and Wenger. Fergie always surrounded himself with the best attacking and defensive coaches with European experience. Wenger surrounds himself with ex-players. Guess who has been more successful ? FWIW, I do think Wenger is the better coach compared to fergie.

Rodgers is not going to learn fast enough. He is doing the exact same mistake he did last season (insists on continuing  a formation/tactic which has been found out)

I think Brendan would do a tremendous job at City working with players like Silva, Aguerro etc and it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of our players like Sterling followed him there.
With endless resources and playing an exciting brand of football City under Rodgers would become an enticing proposition for a lot of top players.
Don't forget 12 months ago Rodgers won manager of the year and he has won a lot of plaudits this year for the way he turned us around, especially after losing Suarez. We rate our players but opposition fans don't, from the outside looking in they think Rodgers is doing a great job of making a silk purse from a sows ear and they think if he was backed he could be something special.
If he nearly won the title with us I'm sure he'd go pretty close with City.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:04 pm

The_Rock » Apr 4th, '15, 17:59 wrote:
Kash_Mountain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:50 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Apr 4th, '15, 17:38 wrote:Well you lot might just get your wish, City are 4th and I think they'll definately be changing manager this summer. Everyone in football bar a few whiners in our fan base has admired the job Brendan has done here (especially the style of football) and I think City will come calling this summer. Their fans certainly want him.

Style of football!  why did he revert back to his old rubbish football at the start of the season and not do anything to change it until Christmas? that is what hurt LFC. Poor management.  The run of games he won, yes, great, what has that achieved now!! the season started in August not Christmas but BR probably forgot that because he seems to think that is when LFC's season starts.

FSG are still conducting a top down review of everything at LFC and are still looking at bringing in a DoF. If BR accepts working under a Dof, he may be given one more chance? if not, he'll be gone anyway (becuasse 4th and FA cup won't cut it). Only hope is that FSG stay well away from the likes of Klinsman and Bruce Arena cause they are just as terrible.

FSG has to also stop going for the cheap options when they go for a manager or DOF. Our head of development, youth team coaches are all in their 30s. They have to stop being fixated with signing youngish players and managers.

Get the right & experience staff in. Then they can go all moneyball with the players. The lack of experience and leadership Rodgers is showing is astounding.

They do indeed (re go for experience etc, they absolutely have to). I believe the advice that is being given to them as part of the review does suggest this. I know when they brought the Club, they sought advice from Dein, but not this time.  They recognise that with this review a different approach was required.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:20 pm

Kash_Mountain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:04 am wrote:They do indeed (re go for experience etc, they absolutely have to). I believe the advice that is being given to them as part of the review does suggest this. I know when they brought the Club, they sought advice from Dein, but not this time.  They recognise that with this review a different approach was required.

David F**king Dein ? No wonder.  Don't FSG know anything about conflict of interest ? He was the ex-arsenal CEO.

Anyway...if we do get some experience backroom staff (preferably with continental experience), that that's a good step. We have to have the least experienced team (players and coaching staff) in this league. This is atrocious.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:29 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:01 am wrote:
I think Brendan would do a tremendous job at City working with players like Silva, Aguerro etc and it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of our players like Sterling followed him there.
With endless resources and playing an exciting brand of football City under Rodgers would become an enticing proposition for a lot of top players.
Don't forget 12 months ago Rodgers won manager of the year and he has won a lot of plaudits this year for the way he turned us around, especially after losing Suarez. We rate our players but opposition fans don't, from the outside looking in they think Rodgers is doing a great job of making a silk purse from a sows ear and they think if he was backed he could be something special.
If he nearly won the title with us I'm sure he'd go pretty close with City.

Rodgers is a good coach. He will coach city well. He is just not a manager. He has consistently shown that
he can't deal with big players. He had trouble dealing with gerrard (no balls to drop him), lucas, sahin, balotelli, sakho, suarez (he even went as far as telling the press that suarez will never play for LFC when the later called Rodgers a liar for breaking his promise..etc).

He also has no European pedigree. How do you think he will do in Europe (which city seems to give a lot of $hit about) when managers like mancini and pellegrini have failed so far ? And whats the use of having a big squad when he prefers the play the same ol lineup every game. He doesn't even use his full quota of substitution.

But if he does go to city (hopefully we get a European experienced  manager here 1st), I wish him all the best. If he wins the league and European cup with them....I will be happy. I was over the moon when rafa won the uefa cup with Chelsea (and I hate Chelsea). Maybe City is the club for him. LFC needs managers with a certain pedigree and Rodgers is just not cut out for it. Fans have not really accepted Rodgers like how Rafa was,
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:39 pm

I think Rodgers has been p|$$ed off with the set up here for a while, he had an outburst at the end of last season when we lost the title about our transfer policy and earlier on this season he was involved in that spat with the club heirachy over the transfer committee.
Even this week he made a few remarks about being 'dealt cards' and having to work with the hand he has been given.
I think he may feel he has taken us as far as he can, especially with the constraints of our moneyball set up, if he gets offered the opportunity to compete with the top clubs on an equal basis I think he might take it.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby jacdaniel » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:41 pm

I have to sympathize with Brendan.  I think he's going to be a top manager and so do many others.

Its not his fault that Suarez left.  Suarez could have remained loyal but chose to leave.
Its not his fault that Sturridge got injured.  We can blame our old friend Hodgson for that.
Its not his fault that Raheem is a t.wat.  He developed him into a good player.  The kid just has a terrible attitude. (which will likely ruin his career).  Maybe achieve something with Liverpool before crying about your contract?  Soft t.wat! 
Its not his fault we've lost / will lose 2 club legends to retirement.

Brendan has made some mistakes of course but its too easy to just sit here and bash him.  We've been failing as a club for 20 years and its not only down to the managers.

1) We don't have owners willing and / or able to compete with the top clubs.  We don't pay the fees or wages required.
2) We don't have loyal players.  (maybe due to point 1)
3) We sign too many average players. (See point 1 again)

Unfortunately, until we have real money to spend we won't be winning anything fast.  We can sack Rodgers if we want but its quite likely we'll see him build a brilliant attacking City side if we do.  Maybe then we'll at least accept the real issue though?

Some might point to some failed transfers and blame Rodgers for that, happens at all clubs though.  Failed transfers is part of the game, having money to buy again is whats needed.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:41 pm

The_Rock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:20 pm wrote:
Kash_Mountain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:04 am wrote:They do indeed (re go for experience etc, they absolutely have to). I believe the advice that is being given to them as part of the review does suggest this. I know when they brought the Club, they sought advice from Dein, but not this time.  They recognise that with this review a different approach was required.

David F**king Dein ? No wonder.  Don't FSG know anything about conflict of interest ? He was the ex-arsenal CEO.

Anyway...if we do get some experience backroom staff (preferably with continental experience), that that's a good step. We have to have the least experienced team (players and coaching staff) in this league. This is atrocious.

Arsenal ditched Dein when he came up with the idea of Arsenal using Wembley as their home ground. Arsenal rightly thought that was a total non starter.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The_Rock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:59 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:39 am wrote:I think Rodgers has been p|$$ed off with the set up here for a while, he had an outburst at the end of last season when we lost the title about our transfer policy and earlier on this season he was involved in that spat with the club heirachy over the transfer committee.
Even this week he made a few remarks about being 'dealt cards' and having to work with the hand he has been given.
I think he may feel he has taken us as far as he can, especially with the constraints of our moneyball set up, if he gets offered the opportunity to compete with the top clubs on an equal basis I think he might take it.

The thing about Rodgers is.....has he ever blamed himself when things go pear shaped ? All the evidence point to the fact that he fought very hard to get in lallana, lovern and lambert. And even you gotta admit that he spent over the odds for 2 of them. He wanted Allen. He wanted Borini. If Rodgers had dealt the cards his way...we would even have Ashley Williams, Vorm in our team. And this scares the living daylights out of me.

Lets get back to the Southampton lads. He wanted these players. The committee got them for him. And then what ? He shatters lovern's confidence by putting gerrard as a DM. He still has not figured lallana's best position. Lambert was never put in a formation to suit him. So what does he have to say about this ? He wanted these average players. So is he gonna blame the committee for these signings ?

If not for the committee...we wouldn't have signed sturridge, coutinho, sakho, can...etc.
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:58 pm

you lot are nuts if you think he is going to be handed the city job. They will want an experienced manager in europe and its definitely not him. If having a punt at the league was just enough then pelligrini's job wouldn't be in question and they would have just stuck with Mancini. He wouldn't be able to deal with the pressure or the ego's within that squad. Sure he might get the money to actually land top players if he can attract them, but won't be long pi$$ing them off when they either get shoved into a different position or disappear for large amounts of time.

People on here want to blame everything, except him when after 3 years we still don't have a decent squad, No quality and limited potential. We are facing a gutting again this summer and for me that equals failure. He will do exactly the same things as last year just like he did in the 2 previous one's. Its not being unlucky at all its form, His form.

Last year was largely down to suarez and even on a bad day the football was miles better than it is now. He was the one inspiring our title run and the players around him. Not one of our players has kicked on this year because they don't have him anymore and no one else in our side commands respect like he did. Could he have held on to him ? I doubt it but he had more than enough time to get something better than what he did. Something that at least fits in with his philosophy but no, he signs players who don't suit it and when they can't adapt to his liking they get sent to narnia. He can moan about the average age all he wants but he brought 3 senior players into that squad last summer and none of them featured today.

Even if city were foolish enough to offer it to him and give him all the money he wants it isn't going to make any difference as he still lacks experience. That will always be lacking when he comes up against top managers.

Honestly lads, He wasn't ready for the Liverpool job and he is certainly not ready for the city one  :no
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Thommo's perm » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:09 pm

Fu'ck city! Who gives a sh'it about them? Gang of overpaid underachieving pr'icks who sh'it out the season before last and were given the title on a platter by us last season. They arent going to win it again this season either. So much for having a rich owner!
We might never know Rodgers' ability if we cant get the so called "best" players in because of the restrictions placed on him. We have played brilliantly since christmas up to the game against the mancs. We have lost today against a good team, and for me the manc game hurt more as they are average at best. But we have a serious problem with injuries and suspensions, plus player being under par or just plain not good enough. 4th is still a possibility as is the FA cup, but now the manager and the players need to come up with something special. We need to support them in the final run in and calling for the managers head isnt going to help one bit...
:no
Thommo's perm

Postby ethanr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:11 pm

The_Rock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:59 am wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:39 am wrote:I think Rodgers has been p|$$ed off with the set up here for a while, he had an outburst at the end of last season when we lost the title about our transfer policy and earlier on this season he was involved in that spat with the club heirachy over the transfer committee.

The thing about Rodgers is.....has he ever blamed himself when things go pear shaped ? All the evidence point to the fact that he fought very hard to get in lallana, lovern and lambert. And even you gotta admit that he spent over the odds for 2 of them. He wanted Allen. He wanted Borini. If Rodgers had dealt the cards his way...we would even have Ashley Williams, Vorm in our team. And this scares the living daylights out of me.

Lets get back to the Southampton lads. He wanted these players. The committee got them for him. And then what ? He shatters lovern's confidence by putting gerrard as a DM. He still has not figured lallana's best position. Lambert was never put in a formation to suit him. So what does he have to say about this ? He wanted these average players. So is he gonna blame the committee for these signings ?

If not for the committee...we wouldn't have signed sturridge, coutinho, sakho, can...etc.

Right... we don't like the manager so lets make sure we take away all the good things he's done and make sure people believe it as fact. How can you just say, without the committee, there'd be no Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho and Can? He clearly wanted them, especially the likes of Can.

What's next? If not for the committee, we'd never have gotten second last year? Yes thank god for that... But in the end we lost the title solely because of Rogers. If it weren't for him, we'd have won for sure.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Well, as I have said trying to finish in the top 4 these days is not easy, unlike in Evans's, Houlliers and Rafa's day there are now 4 clubs who have more money and probably more ambition than us.
2 of those clubs are situated in the capital which has a lot of pull when attracting players and of the other 2 - one is the richest club in the world and the other arguably the biggest.
If that wasn't a big enough challenge in itself our manager whoever he is has to work within the constraints of moneyball theory, a theory that might be proven in baseball but is very much experimental and unproven in football.
We don't need a manager we need a miracle worker.
This summer all those 4 clubs will probably shell out £40m/£50m+ on players like Hummels, Bale and probably Sterling whilst we sign more potential. What's more our spending spree will probably be funded by the money we get for Sterling just like last year's was funded by the money we got for Suarez. 1 step forward 2 backwards.
People can blame the manager all they want but the truth is no one will do any better, in fact if we lose Rodgers it will look to the outside world that we have lost one of the brightest young managers in the game just like we are losing our best players.
It will look like further evidence of our decline.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:03 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Apr 4th, '15, 20:34 wrote:Well, as I have said trying to finish in the top 4 these days is not easy, unlike in Evans's, Houlliers and Rafa's day there are now 4 clubs who have more money and probably more ambition than us.
2 of those clubs are situated in the capital which has a lot of pull when attracting players and of the other 2 - one is the richest club in the world and the other arguably the biggest.
If that wasn't a big enough challenge in itself our manager whoever he is has to work within the constraints of moneyball theory, a theory that might be proven in baseball but is very much experimental and unproven in football.
We don't need a manager we need a miracle worker.
This summer all those 4 clubs will probably shell out £40m/£50m+ on players like Hummels, Bale and probably Sterling whilst we sign more potential. What's more our spending spree will probably be funded by the money we get for Sterling just like last year's was funded by the money we got for Suarez. 1 step forward 2 backwards.
People can blame the manager all they want but the truth is no one will do any better, in fact if we lose Rodgers it will look to the outside world that we have lost one of the brightest young managers in the game just like we are losing our best players.
It will look like further evidence of our decline.

To the outside world, he is cannon fodder

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby maguskwt » Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:43 am

ethanr » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:11 pm wrote:
The_Rock » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:59 am wrote:

Right... we don't like the manager so lets make sure we take away all the good things he's done and make sure people believe it as fact. How can you just say, without the committee, there'd be no Coutinho, Sturridge, Sakho and Can? He clearly wanted them, especially the likes of Can.

What's next? If not for the committee, we'd never have gotten second last year? Yes thank god for that... But in the end we lost the title solely because of Rogers. If it weren't for him, we'd have won for sure.

Precisely...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion