Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:06 am

devaney » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 am wrote:Stu - maybe you could stretch your rating to 9/10 because you are very very wrong when it comes to BR's performance in the transfer market. Yes there has been mistakes and there will be more in the future. Everybody agrees that it is our strike force that deserves most of the plaudits this season and understandably so. Well Coutinho and Sturridge just happen to be a massive part of our success in attack. They are probably both worth between £50/60m as an absolute minimum and we paid just £20m for the two of them. Moyes paid £27m for Fellaini and £37m for Mata! Who got the better deal?  Rodgers has spent  £60m net since he arrived and Coutinho and Sturridge represent close on 33% of that outlay. What other premiership club has brought in two relatively low priced players that have had such an impact? Sakho cost £17m and certainly looks as he will be a success in the future. I prefer to look at the positives rather than the negative! We can all get upset about the what might have beens but without knowing exactly why we failed to sign certain players (and frankly now we probably wouldn't want most of them!) what is the point. I am far more interested in the successes than the failures and the successes are a big part of why we are challenging for the league title.And lets not forget that BR is only one part of the buying committee. It is also worth remembering that United have spent £118m net during the same period!

So you're saying I'm wrong based on the fact Coutinho and Sturridge have increased in Value?

When it comes to transfers I'm interested in the money spent and why it was spent, also how it was spent. You're banging on about United, any dope could tell you Mata isn't worth £40,000,000 and Fellaini isn't worth £25,000,000. Fact remains, Rodgers has spent a shed load on average players who've either failed or not proven anything yet. To be quite honest, I'm more interested on what he's missing out on rather than worrying about clubs we can't really compete with are doing.

You mention Sahko, yeah, he started to show promise mate, but in no way shape or form would you consider that a success (so far at least). He's played 12 games and looked like a donkey in four of them... £17,000,000 for a lad who doesn't COMMAND a regular first team place for me personally.... is a bit of a worry, especially when you consider the rubbish that is currently playing in his position.

Allen, as steady as he is was never a £15,000,000 player (not that I don't like him.... he's tidy and works his ***** off never letting us down) but that doesn't make him worth that money, Borini is quite frankly... SH1T and the likes of Aspas and Alberto have contributed to this season on a similar level myself personally. Then you have Illori etc etc.

Mignolet at £10,000,000 is also a complete flop. The manager is responsible for signings, make no mistake. If he isn't, he's in the wrong job. A manager needs to put his foot down and stand up to the owners if he's being bullied. Not roll over and take one up the ***** and let the club waste millions and millions on bog standard players. Anyone that can sit there and say his signings have even been satisfactory so far... is blinded by loyalty.

He's doing a good job, all the signs are promising, if we win the league then he's done an amazing job... the fact is though, I don't want a manager who's going to win us one league... or bring us close once or twice... I want one who's going to dominate time and time again.

Rodgers is showing the potential... he's showing the coaching ability, he's learning tactically and he's learning quickly.

If he can sort out his ***** poor transfer dealings, build on this season and tame his occasional mindless ramblings on interviews then we could well be seeing one of the best manager we've ever had... until I see more evidence in transfer windows, more progression I'm very much on the fence and think people need to keep a check on reality and remember, he's only been here two years... one good season doesn't make the man a genius.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby TheLad » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:56 am

killerp » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:50 am wrote:Rodgers has completely changed my outlook for the clubs future. Last 4-5 years have been a slow frustrating nightmare and we leave all that chaos behind and really make great strides to return to the top. Funny enough it didn't require the hundreds of millions some clubs have spent just determination, leadership and one insanely talented Uruguayan. I must admit I never rated players like Sterling or Henderson but somehow these players have been molded into first 11 players.

I look forward to games now instead of dreading them! Even expectations have returned, I'll be disappointed if we don't score more than 3 goals per game! I even go along with the nutters who predict 6-0 scorelines and funny enough we actually score 6 goals.

Absolute madness, we have gone from completely random and unpredictable (lots of draws, loses to all the smaller clubs hitting the crossbar hundreds of times) to become extremely efficient & lethal at scoring and winning games.

Defending is another matter, one for next season.

Agreed.
TheLad
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:34 pm

Sturridge and Coutinho were great signings, the moment those 2 walked through the door our fortunes totally changed, before they arrived we'd accrued our lowest points total in the 3 points for a win era and suffered our worst start since the Titanic went down but with those 2 at the club we are scoring goals at a ridiculous rate, every other week we are putting 5 or 6 past a team.
I think over time Sakho, Allen and Ilorri will prove to be great signings as well. Mingolet is a decent keeper too, he's not great under the highball but his kicking has improved and he's an upgrade on the Reina of last season (who's still dropping clangers for Napoli)
As for the rest, we'll probably make a profit on Assaidi and we may get our money back on Borini who has done a decent job for Sunderland, as for Alberto it's too soon to judge him but he does at least look competent and hasn't done anything wrong when he has been called upon.
All things considered Rodgers has done well in the transfer market, especially considering he hasnt been given big sums to spend.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:58 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:34 am wrote:Sturridge and Coutinho were great signings, the moment those 2 walked through the door our fortunes totally changed, before they arrived we'd accrued our lowest points total in the 3 points for a win era and suffered our worst start since the Titanic went down but with those 2 at the club we are scoring goals at a ridiculous rate, every other week we are putting 5 or 6 past a team.
I think over time Sakho, Allen and Ilorri will prove to be great signings as well. Mingolet is a decent keeper too, he's not great under the highball but his kicking has improved and he's an upgrade on the Reina of last season (who's still dropping clangers for Napoli)
As for the rest, we'll probably make a profit on Assaidi and we may get our money back on Borini who has done a decent job for Sunderland, as for Alberto it's too soon to judge him but he does at least look competent and hasn't done anything wrong when he has been called upon.
All things considered Rodgers has done well in the transfer market, especially considering he hasnt been given big sums to spend.

Assuming that Aspas get's shipped out in the summer, I would happily take Borini back as a back up striker. Rodgers has worked with him before and clearly thinks his style could work in the system we play, or else he would not have signed him. His performances for Sunderland have been miles above anything we had seen from him. To me it look slike he needed a run of games to find his feet in the premiership.

Next season, we will have CL football and I expect us to make more of the domestic cup competitions. There will be plenty for Borini to get involved with.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:16 pm

I think many managers would have had their decision to take up the reins at Liverpool severely tempered by the fly on the wall expose ,the fact
Rodgers emerged (albeit from the media's hatchet jobs ) relatively unscathed is testament to the man's unwavering integrity.

Any manager that was in the slightest bit false or held illusions of grandeur would have died on his arse after that extremely  ill conceived
and needless documentary........ Rodgers handled it with real humility ,and since then the man has gone from strength to strength ,he carries
himself like a Liverpool manager and consistently shows his class.

As regards tactical acumen the man is proving innovatively superior to most in the Premier league,he has more than breathed life into his blueprint
for a team of eleven playing high intensity progressive football ,he has transformed the career of Daniel Sturridge ,he has reinvented Steven Gerrard
when he was in serious danger of stagnating ,and he has orchestrated some of the finest Liverpool performances since we were synonymous with
regularly destroying teams under the tutelage of Dalglish in the eighties.

Rodgers sits comfortable ,relaxed and composed at press conferences ,he practically ensures the attending media are held in the awe only truly great
managers are capable of inducing..... And he realises the needs of the fans ,and constantly gives credence to our fantastic support.

In the transfer market he has brought a midfielder to the club who not only affords us shades of Aimar ,but looks for all the world like he was personally
tutored by the legend in his own back garden.

Daniel  Sturridge's career was in danger of disappearing under an avalanche of bad publicity and nudges towards the collative of great underachievers
when Rodgers gave him the opportunity to become the finest English striker in the game.

We have seen the complete metamorphosis of Gerrard evolving before our eyes ,with his standing amongst the more 'honest' reds fans amongst us
dissipating with every game he struggled to play 90 minutes ,let alone fashion a tackle of any description....Rodgers gave him the protection he
needed and since then albeit from a fretful start he has been a vital component in our rise. 

So I'm prepared to forgive his not so successful dips into the market with  Borini ,Aspas ,Alberto,Assaidi ,Sakho, besides which all of those players could
still provide the opportunity for Rodgers to fashion a smug grin ......... Although, like I've already stated  he doesn't do those ,does he ?

YNWA  :buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:54 pm

Stu come on lets keep it real. Mignolet a complete flop - that is just being silly and I never suggested that making a potential profit on Coutinho and Sturridge were the reasons for BR having more success than you suggested in the transfer market. I said they are a massive part of our extremely potent strike force.

Any dope you suggest would know that Fellaini and Mata were not worth their respective price tags and yet United paid the price. You seemed to miss the point that you are critical of our transfer history during the period BR has been manager and yet his (should read buying committee) failures pale into insignificance by comparison. Take a look also at what Spurs squandered over a £100m on and the mess they are in as a club.

You suggest that Borini is shit which I think is very harsh. The lad had a lousy time and suffered with numerous injuries. He is now playing some half decent football and could actually provide some much need back up. To be honest I think you are jumping the gun with some of the players we have bought and giving them more time may just prove beneficial. The name Henderson comes to mind  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:18 pm

a lot of this teams goal scoring frenzy is actually down to me starting match threads. I'll be getting a call from the Queen soon for my knighthood,
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:40 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:34 pm wrote:Sturridge and Coutinho were great signings, the moment those 2 walked through the door our fortunes totally changed, before they arrived we'd accrued our lowest points total in the 3 points for a win era and suffered our worst start since the Titanic went down but with those 2 at the club we are scoring goals at a ridiculous rate, every other week we are putting 5 or 6 past a team.

Assaidi at peanuts was worth the gamble, no-one has ever said Coutinho and Sturridge weren't great signings...

However, to call the likes of Borini, Allen, Illori, Alberto and Mignolet anything other than failures is ridiculous.

Mignolet is absolutely bang smack average at best. Allen is never twice as good as Coutinho or even on Sturridge's level and Illori, Aspas and Alberto is £21,000,000 spunked right up the wall on complete and utter tosh.
End of!
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 pm

devaney » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:54 pm wrote:Stu come on lets keep it real. Mignolet a complete flop - that is just being silly and I never suggested that making a potential profit on Coutinho and Sturridge were the reasons for BR having more success than you suggested in the transfer market. I said they are a massive part of our extremely potent strike force.

Any dope you suggest would know that Fellaini and Mata were not worth their respective price tags and yet United paid the price. You seemed to miss the point that you are critical of our transfer history during the period BR has been manager and yet his (should read buying committee) failures pale into insignificance by comparison. Take a look also at what Spurs squandered over a £100m on and the mess they are in as a club.

You suggest that Borini is shit which I think is very harsh. The lad had a lousy time and suffered with numerous injuries. He is now playing some half decent football and could actually provide some much need back up. To be honest I think you are jumping the gun with some of the players we have bought and giving them more time may just prove beneficial. The name Henderson comes to mind  :laugh:

Firstly, Borini is absolutely awful. Never a Liverpool player in a million years and Rodgers knows he's dropped a clanger when he seen him in this environment.

And again its not me who misses the point... The transfers need to improve. End of argument. I've never said they aren't worse than United's etc... the fact is, we don't have Chelsea and City money... so we need to spend what we have properly. If you think thats harsh and it offends you... well tuff sh!t, because that's how it is. We haven't done that at all. The signings in the most part, have been absolutely p*ss poor barring one or two. Again, end of argument. I'm not interested in what Moyes does at United apart from helping them fail, his signings do not matter one Iota. I'm more interested in what Rodgers does with the budget he's given.

And what exactly is Mignolet then Devaney? A success? :laugh: The lads average at best. Often he's below average. For £10,000,000 as well? He's got away with it so far due to our stunning attacking play.

As for Henderson, he's finally shown he's a capable player, he's put his attributes into use and has a manager who understands how to get the best out of him... he's hardly a f*cking world beater though is he... he's a limited player who currently suits and helps the system, nothing more.

I'll say it again and again... £21,000,000 on Aspas, Illori and Alberto... imagine what you could have had for that alone.... its shockingly bad business. They've not even started 5 games between them! Its a joke. Even when we've had injuries the manager hasn't put them in.

£17,000,000 on a centre half who has played 12 games and looked like a donkey in 4 of them... £15,000,000 on a midfielder who spends half of his time on the bench... £10,500,000 on a championship player...

Absolutely must do better. Anyone that can't see that is burying their head in the sand. Simple as that.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 pm wrote:
devaney » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:54 pm wrote:Stu come on lets keep it real. Mignolet a complete flop - that is just being silly and I never suggested that making a potential profit on Coutinho and Sturridge were the reasons for BR having more success than you suggested in the transfer market. I said they are a massive part of our extremely potent strike force.

Firstly, Borini is absolutely awful. Never a Liverpool player in a million years and Rodgers knows he's dropped a clanger when he seen him in this environment.

And again its not me who misses the point... The transfers need to improve. End of argument. I've never said they aren't worse than United's etc... the fact is, we don't have Chelsea and City money... so we need to spend what we have properly. If you think thats harsh and it offends you... well tuff sh!t, because that's how it is. We haven't done that at all. The signings in the most part, have been absolutely p*ss poor barring one or two. Again, end of argument. I'm not interested in what Moyes does at United apart from helping them fail, his signings do not matter one Iota. I'm more interested in what Rodgers does with the budget he's given.

And what exactly is Mignolet then Devaney? A success? :laugh: The lads average at best. Often he's below average. For £10,000,000 as well? He's got away with it so far due to our stunning attacking play.

As for Henderson, he's finally shown he's a capable player, he's put his attributes into use and has a manager who understands how to get the best out of him... he's hardly a f*cking world beater though is he... he's a limited player who currently suits and helps the system, nothing more.

I'll say it again and again... £21,000,000 on Aspas, Illori and Alberto... imagine what you could have had for that alone.... its shockingly bad business. They've not even started 5 games between them! Its a joke. Even when we've had injuries the manager hasn't put them in.

£17,000,000 on a centre half who has played 12 games and looked like a donkey in 4 of them... £15,000,000 on a midfielder who spends half of his time on the bench... £10,500,000 on a championship player...

Absolutely must do better. Anyone that can't see that is burying their head in the sand. Simple as that.

Proof positive that you don't possess a fucking igloo ,Henderson has been the fulcrum for some outstanding performances this season ,and yet you
afford him no acknowledgement as a contributory factor towards our success this season........You've really  'Benny'd'  out with this gem lad.  :laugh:

RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:20 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:10 pm wrote:Proof positive that you don't possess a fucking igloo ,Henderson has been the fulcrum for some outstanding performances this season ,and yet you
afford him no acknowledgement as a contributory factor towards our success this season........You've really  'Benny'd'  out with this gem lad.  :laugh:

Comming from he who call's Gerrard a liability and can't see his contribution...

And I afforded him "no acknowledgement"?

That's just desperate.  :laugh:  Just because I don't believe Henderson to be anywhere near as good as Toure and believe there are better midfielders in the league and europe than him I am not acknowledging his contribution? :laugh:

As for being the fulcrum though... Personally... I'd say that's Suarez... if anyone disagree's with that then they need their head testing.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:28 pm

Stu the Red » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm wrote:Comming from he who call's Gerrard a liability and can't see his contribution...

That's just desperate.  :laugh:  Just because I don't believe Henderson to be anywhere near as good as Toure and believe there are better midfielders in the league and europe than him I am not acknowledging his contribution? :laugh:

As for being the fulcrum though... Personally... I'd say that's Suarez... if anyone disagree's with that then they need their head testing.

Fulcrum is something that supports or sustains ,I would say personally that Suarez was our spearhead ,obviously  ??? I think you need to grab an
education kid ,either that or pick up a book on basic mechanics  :D

In relation to Gerrard ,I believe he more than merited the denigration for some seriously pathetic displays devoid of any heart let alone a tackle
I think the fact I stated quite openly along with SS  (who is incidentally someone else who goes the game)or anyone sitting in the Kop that Gerrard
was in some games affording the shirt on his back little respect. I am also honest enough to admit that Gerrard's contribution since the Fulham game
has been considerable ,and yet I still retain the opinion the game we currently play suits Gerrard more than it does Rodgers machinations for Liverpool.
Last edited by RED BEERGOGGLES on Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:30 pm

leeroy74 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 am wrote:a lot of this teams goal scoring frenzy is actually down to me starting match threads. I'll be getting a call from the Queen soon for my knighthood,

They just blew right past you, Sir Leeroy74
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby supersub » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:31 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:28 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:20 pm wrote:Comming from he who call's Gerrard a liability and can't see his contribution...

Fulcrum is something that supports or sustains ,I would say personally that Suarez was our spearhead ,obviously  ??? I think you need to grab an
education kid ,either that or pick up a book on basic mechanics  :D

:nod ...
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:54 pm

Anyway, I apologise if I in any way caused this thread to be sidetracked ....So Ladies and Gentleman Brendan Rodgers

"We are focusing on the immediate future," Rodgers said.

"The fans can believe and dream, and when you come to see your team play away from home and they score six goals, you've got every right to do that. They have been a big part of our ongoing success this year.

"I've got to say that I am really looking forward to the Sunderland game. It feels like we haven't played at home for ages.

"Wednesday will be a great night for us. We've now got five games left at Anfield, with three away from home. Anfield is a special place to play football, so for us, it's about the immediate future."

Liverpool did not have things all their own way at Cardiff City Stadium as they twice trailed to goals by Jordan Mutch and Fraizer Campbell, but there was no stopping them once Suarez, Sturridge and company turned on the heat.

"We don't work to just outscore teams; we work on our balance," Rodgers added. "We are certainly not a team that is not worried about defending, that's not the case at all.

"We were off the back of two clean sheets against two difficult teams, Southampton and Manchester United.

"We conceded too much space, but the key thing is how we respond and how we have grown over the last 18 months. There has been that resilience and confidence to know that we can get back in the game.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/liverpool/brendan-rodgers-delighted-that-liverpool-can-dream-of-league-crown-30119281.html

:bowdown
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion