Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC1990 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:11 am

Was pessimistic when he was given the job so glad he proved me wrong, Probably the best manager in the league right about now

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby babu » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:17 pm

Brendan Rodgers is doing wonders at the moment. Lets hope this continues, and builds. If we finish in the top 3, it will be beyond my expectation.

If he wins the league, it will be a similar achievement to Rafa's in 2005. Worship status.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:56 pm

Rafa's achievement was phenomenal !! Winning the league however would be a stunt that Dynamo would find difficult to pull off  :laugh:

He praises individual's but never criticises them. Would seem to be a brilliant man manager which unfortunately was one of Rafa's weaknesses. BR is getting so much more out of so many players. Suarez is a different person and a better player than when he arrived. Sturridge is not the same player that was at Chelsea and Man City - I think both of them would welcome him back now! Henderson has improved so much that BR would no longer consider offering him as part of a deal for a player like Clint Dempsey. Sterling has come on leaps and bounds. Coutinho is also a beneficiary of BR's management and coaching style. Even Steve Gerrard has benefited from his vision and how to get the best out of a player.

If that isn't enough BR has also got rid of a lot of dross and silly wages.Not all of his buys have been good but it will be interesting to see what he ultimately gets out of some of the players that are struggling or out on loan.

Team spirit is also at its highest level for a long time.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:25 pm

Anyone see Cara's interview of Rodgers ? good watch I thought. Top bloke Rodgers is, not to mention a great manager.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB53GUDdZ4E

Sign him up FSG!
killerp

Postby Santa » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:53 pm

kazza » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:14 pm wrote:
33 percent said we would do 6th or lower  :no

Yeah we know who they are...  :no

I personally thought that we could finished 3rd as I think we are better than (4th) ManU, (5th) Spurs and (6th) Arsenal...never thought we could be above Chelsea and Man City with their squad strength. Now we can make our strong statement when both of them visiting Anfield. We never thought we could steamrolled Arsenal but we did, so Chelsea and Man City won't fancy coming here. Nail both of these games and we could be Champion...so the title is all in our hands now  :buttrock
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:42 pm

I was always hoping for 4th...never in a million years did I think we'd be in the title chasing pack come the end of March....

BR is doing a great job and I can't see him going anywhere TBH, least of all to Man City
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:26 am

Lads I think everyone needs to calm down.... and quite a lot.

One season doesn't make a manager and certainly doesn't mean his signings have been great. Money has been wasted, the club hasn't spent wisely enough and he's majorly responsible for that. He's having a great season so far and we've played some great stuff, but the season isn't over yet.

His man management is excellent and tactically at times we've been spot on, but getting carried away is doing nobody any favours.

Also our position has been helped by Manchester United's incredible decline which I don't think anyone could have seen coming. However, we are at least in the title race which shows improvement.

If the signings are good in the summer and we improve next season then I'll start to be convinced. Until then, I'm remaining on the fence. A season and a half is no time to judge an improving manager, he needs time to grow and learn tactically (which he is doing).
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:08 am

stu moving the goalposts? as expected.

Man utd decline hasn't contributed that much to our rise this season, ok its one less team to fight it out for top 4 but they haven't contributed to the amount of points we've got. They didn't win us those games, we did.

2nd in the league, pushing for the title...    forgive us if we get carried away. you stay behind and be grumpy.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby mramo » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:26 am

mramo » Wed May 30, 2012 4:05 pm wrote:Not impressed with the news. However, all I'll say on this matter is we will be watching your performance very closely next season. Begin the process; & a formation of new dynasty at LFC. The very best of luck, Brendan.

Begin the process & formation of a new dynasty are two things that have impressed me with Rodgers so far. You can see what he's setting out to achieve, and good fortunate has been on his side since.
mramo

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:26 am wrote:Lads I think everyone needs to calm down.... and quite a lot.

One season doesn't make a manager and certainly doesn't mean his signings have been great. Money has been wasted, the club hasn't spent wisely enough and he's majorly responsible for that. He's having a great season so far and we've played some great stuff, but the season isn't over yet.

His man management is excellent and tactically at times we've been spot on, but getting carried away is doing nobody any favours.

Also our position has been helped by Manchester United's incredible decline which I don't think anyone could have seen coming. However, we are at least in the title race which shows improvement.

If the signings are good in the summer and we improve next season then I'll start to be convinced. Until then, I'm remaining on the fence. A season and a half is no time to judge an improving manager, he needs time to grow and learn tactically (which he is doing).

There was something in the echo the other week explaining how Rodgers has been imploring the owners that we are 'ahead of schedule' and need to spend big now while we still have the likes of Gerrard and Luis in his prime, it even said that signings like Aspas and Alberto weren't Brendan's calls.
When FSG first arrived they mentioned that they couldn't believe that clubs forked out tens of millions on a player solely based on one man's opinion (the managers) of that player. I can't see any Liverpool manager having the sole say on transfers ever again.
I think if people are going to moan about transfers we had better get used to blaming the transfer committee not just the manager.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby The Good Yank » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:39 pm

Stu the Red » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:26 am wrote:Lads I think everyone needs to calm down.... and quite a lot.

Why?  Isn't supporting a team supposed to be enjoyable?  What is the harm in having a bit of hopeful thinking this late in the season?  We are in 2nd place.  4 points off the top with a game in hand and have a match against the leaders at home.

We also face the most likely champion at home.  Don't see any harm in a bit of optimism.  Focks sakes it's been 5 years since we could even think of the title this late in the campaign.  I'd rather have a heart breaking run in where we fall short than a run in that we've had over the last few years of just playing out the string of games in what were pretty much glorified friendlies.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:27 am

The Good Yank » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:39 am wrote:
Stu the Red » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:26 am wrote:Lads I think everyone needs to calm down.... and quite a lot.

Why?  Isn't supporting a team supposed to be enjoyable?  What is the harm in having a bit of hopeful thinking this late in the season?  We are in 2nd place.  4 points off the top with a game in hand and have a match against the leaders at home.

We also face the most likely champion at home.  Don't see any harm in a bit of optimism.  Focks sakes it's been 5 years since we could even think of the title this late in the campaign.  I'd rather have a heart breaking run in where we fall short than a run in that we've had over the last few years of just playing out the string of games in what were pretty much glorified friendlies.

Amen GY and im not sure what us calming down will having to do where the club ends up.

Im sure if results did go belly up then there would a return of the whinging, in depth analysis of why our players aren't good enough , slagging players and owners off. Lamenting how we didn't get all those Spurs signings and how wonderful the 8th placed and 17 points behind us Southampton midfield is.

Personally after last few years Its great to see optimism and pride in what the team has achieved even without some marquee like January transfer player like Mata  :D

Even if we do fall short at the moment there has been 43 point turn around in our standings compared to ManU from last year. That should be enough for any red to be happy about
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:36 am

If 23 points out of the last 27 isn't good reason to get excited then I may as well start watching Curling !! (no offence to fans of Curling)
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:48 am

devaney » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:36 am wrote:If 23 points out of the last 27 isn't good reason to get excited then I may as well start watching Curling !! (no offence to fans of Curling)

More importantly playing great football
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:21 am

Typical of everyone to get carried away after a good run of form...

Probably the same fans who if he has a stinker next season will jump all over him and want him sacked.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion