Brendan Rodgers thread (signs extended contract)

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:24 am

no ones really getting carried away. A few have said we could win the league this season,which is a fact if you look at the league table. a few have said Brendan has done a fantastic job here this season...  the league position, style of footie and the general feeling around the club is down to Brendan so they're right. At the moment we're living the dream so lets do that. Next season we'll have european cup nights at Anfield again, thanks to Brendan. excuse us if we get a tad excited and over react.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:33 am

leeroy74 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:24 am wrote:no ones really getting carried away. A few have said we could win the league this season,which is a fact if you look at the league table. a few have said Brendan has done a fantastic job here this season...  the league position, style of footie and the general feeling around the club is down to Brendan so they're right. At the moment we're living the dream so lets do that. Next season we'll have european cup nights at Anfield again, thanks to Brendan. excuse us if we get a tad excited and over react.

Being outsiders for the league at this stage is a great achievement.

However.... Ipswich town got promoted one season, finished 5th in the premier league then got relegated the season after. It will take another season of similar quality before I have any sort of real optimism and start hailing Rodgers as the messiah and whatever else. Having a manager like Rodgers at the moment is easy and great, its a bit like a relationship... you need to see how things go when things go badly before you can really make up your mind.

So far in his Liverpool Career I'd give him eight out of ten, the only think that has let him down are his signings, need to see more to be completely convinced. Think at times tactically he's been lucky this season... will be interesting to see if he can maintain it next year.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:42 am

It would be perfectly understandable if fans were getting carried away.
A week or so ago Chelsea had the opportunity to go 10 points clear at the top, now if they fail to beat Arsenal this weekend (and we beat Cardiff) we can overhaul them with our game in hand.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby babu » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:19 pm

Stu the Red » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:21 am wrote:Typical of everyone to get carried away after a good run of form...

Probably the same fans who if he has a stinker next season will jump all over him and want him sacked.

Stewy, general statements like that hurt. I'm getting excited, and I have before.

Where have I ever wanted our manager sacked?

Not talking about me? If so, don't include me.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:30 pm

There was little room for doubt ,because the man just sounds an holds himself like an absolute class act ,prompting and dare we say resurrecting such terms as faith and belief ... Brendan Rodgers looks every inch a Liverpool manager ,and I have no doubt he will start to amass many disciples who crave total football and simply want to follow a manager who displays quality as readily as one of our famous banners ...

I posted the above thoughts when he first took the reins of this glorious club ,and the man has fully justified my early faith and optimism.

Any reverence that comes his way he has duly merited ,because he is up there with the most innovative managers in Europe at present,who has reinvented
Gerrard and handed Sturridge the chance to bring the potency in front of goal we now see after being criminally repressed by his former clubs.

Minor quibbles aside, the man is making believers out of even the greatest pessimists amongst us .

:buttrock YNWA
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:48 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 am wrote:There was little room for doubt ,because the man just sounds an holds himself like an absolute class act ,prompting and dare we say resurrecting such terms as faith and belief ... Brendan Rodgers looks every inch a Liverpool manager ,and I have no doubt he will start to amass many disciples who crave total football and simply want to follow a manager who displays quality as readily as one of our famous banners ...

I posted the above thoughts when he first took the reins of this glorious club ,and the man has fully justified my early faith and optimism.

Any reverence that comes his way he has duly merited ,because he is up there with the most innovative managers in Europe at present,who has reinvented
Gerrard and handed Sturridge the chance to bring the potency in front of goal we now see after being criminally repressed by his former clubs.

Minor quibbles aside, the man is making believers out of even the greatest pessimists amongst us .

I was pessimistic. I wanted a big name and thought BR hadn't done enough to warrant the job. I was still doubtful for a while but that's changed. There's something about the man that's more than football. He looks like a winner. He's learned so much in a short space of time and that's been vitally important. Something about him suggests to me that he won't be leaving any time soon. I'd be very suprised if he so much as even thought about flirting with other suitors to improve his standing (with regards to his contract)
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby parchpea » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:00 am

Are you Shankly in disguise, are you Shankly in disguise  :buttrock  :D
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:06 pm

parchpea » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:00 am wrote:Are you Shankly in disguise, are you Shankly in disguise  :buttrock  :D

His standard goal celebration is strikingly similar to Shanks statue..... Maybe he is!

Given the money, time and a bit of luck he certainly has it in him to build a similar dynasty here.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:37 pm

RedAnt » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:48 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 am wrote:There was little room for doubt ,because the man just sounds an holds himself like an absolute class act ,prompting and dare we say resurrecting such terms as faith and belief ... Brendan Rodgers looks every inch a Liverpool manager ,and I have no doubt he will start to amass many disciples who crave total football and simply want to follow a manager who displays quality as readily as one of our famous banners ...

I was pessimistic. I wanted a big name and thought BR hadn't done enough to warrant the job. I was still doubtful for a while but that's changed. There's something about the man that's more than football. He looks like a winner. He's learned so much in a short space of time and that's been vitally important. Something about him suggests to me that he won't be leaving any time soon. I'd be very suprised if he so much as even thought about flirting with other suitors to improve his standing (with regards to his contract)

I thought the owners had lost the plot when they gave him the job, the stress of managing this club saw strong characters like Souness and Houllier lying in an operating theatre in Broadgreen cardiac hospital and Kenny had to retire through stress himself first time round. I couldn't believe they'd given the job to someone who had worked in the top flight for 1 season (and that was at a club who'd spent almost their entire history in the lower leagues).
The club was making a lot of wrong decisions at that time and even Rodgers recruitment (with daily updates from dave whelan) was turning into a farce, at the rate we had gone backwards since Benitez's sacking I really thought this appointment would be the end of us as a force within the game.
The exact opposite has happened, appointing Brendan Rodgers could be the best thing to happen to this club since shankly himself walked through the door at anfield.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:53 pm

babu » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:17 am wrote:Brendan Rodgers is doing wonders at the moment. Lets hope this continues, and builds. If we finish in the top 3, it will be beyond my expectation.

If he wins the league, it will be a similar achievement to Rafa's in 2005. Worship status.

It will surpass it IMHO.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Octsky » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:36 am

Stu the Red » Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:33 am wrote:
leeroy74 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:24 am wrote:no ones really getting carried away. A few have said we could win the league this season,which is a fact if you look at the league table. a few have said Brendan has done a fantastic job here this season...  the league position, style of footie and the general feeling around the club is down to Brendan so they're right. At the moment we're living the dream so lets do that. Next season we'll have european cup nights at Anfield again, thanks to Brendan. excuse us if we get a tad excited and over react.

Being outsiders for the league at this stage is a great achievement.

However.... Ipswich town got promoted one season, finished 5th in the premier league then got relegated the season after. It will take another season of similar quality before I have any sort of real optimism and start hailing Rodgers as the messiah and whatever else. Having a manager like Rodgers at the moment is easy and great, its a bit like a relationship... you need to see how things go when things go badly before you can really make up your mind.

So far in his Liverpool Career I'd give him eight out of ten, the only think that has let him down are his signings, need to see more to be completely convinced. Think at times tactically he's been lucky this season... will be interesting to see if he can maintain it next year.

this..
consistency is the key. i am not carried away with this yrs performance. i mean who can as i also once believed that rafa was the one.
but i still need to give credit to him for bringing balance to the team. even if we lose suarez next season (touch wood), we are still capable of going forward and scoring.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 am

What cannot be denied is how we play. Rodgers has completely transformed our style of play. When you consider how Houllier and Rafa had us playing with solid defence and big attackers knocking down to small attackers we have come a long way. Rodgers has brought in speed skill and an aggressive style of play that is beautiful to watch. This is the nicest we have played in over twenty years, maybe ever considering the quality of the opposition. I thought to myself when they were talking about the "Barcelona way" that we would struggle as we did not have the personnel, which we don't. We have become our own version and that takes vision. It is too easy to defend solidly at the expense of attacking play and much more ballsy to completely change the playing philosophy right down the line to the academy. Whatever happens next year, Rodgers has made us much more attractive to watch and changed the playing philosophy on a shoestring budget ( comparatively speaking) . Even though it is still not job done, it is clear we are more confident, play much more attractive football, have a greater unity and team spirit and have thought "out of the box" and for that he deserves all the credit he is getting. He may or may not be a messiah but he is original. I hope we win the title so the owners back him 100 percent.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:34 am

Stu - maybe you could stretch your rating to 9/10 because you are very very wrong when it comes to BR's performance in the transfer market. Yes there has been mistakes and there will be more in the future. Everybody agrees that it is our strike force that deserves most of the plaudits this season and understandably so. Well Coutinho and Sturridge just happen to be a massive part of our success in attack. They are probably both worth between £50/60m as an absolute minimum and we paid just £20m for the two of them. Moyes paid £27m for Fellaini and £37m for Mata! Who got the better deal?  Rodgers has spent  £60m net since he arrived and Coutinho and Sturridge represent close on 33% of that outlay. What other premiership club has brought in two relatively low priced players that have had such an impact? Sakho cost £17m and certainly looks as he will be a success in the future. I prefer to look at the positives rather than the negative! We can all get upset about the what might have beens but without knowing exactly why we failed to sign certain players (and frankly now we probably wouldn't want most of them!) what is the point. I am far more interested in the successes than the failures and the successes are a big part of why we are challenging for the league title.And lets not forget that BR is only one part of the buying committee. It is also worth remembering that United have spent £118m net during the same period!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby killerp » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:50 am

Rodgers has completely changed my outlook for the clubs future. Last 4-5 years have been a slow frustrating nightmare and we leave all that chaos behind and really make great strides to return to the top. Funny enough it didn't require the hundreds of millions some clubs have spent just determination, leadership and one insanely talented Uruguayan. I must admit I never rated players like Sterling or Henderson but somehow these players have been molded into first 11 players.

I look forward to games now instead of dreading them! Even expectations have returned, I'll be disappointed if we don't score more than 3 goals per game! I even go along with the nutters who predict 6-0 scorelines and funny enough we actually score 6 goals.

Absolute madness, we have gone from completely random and unpredictable (lots of draws, loses to all the smaller clubs hitting the crossbar hundreds of times) to become extremely efficient & lethal at scoring and winning games.

Defending is another matter, one for next season.
killerp

Postby laza » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:18 am

killerp » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:50 pm wrote:Rodgers has completely changed my outlook for the clubs future. Last 4-5 years have been a slow frustrating nightmare and we leave all that chaos behind and really make great strides to return to the top. Funny enough it didn't require the hundreds of millions some clubs have spent just determination, leadership and one insanely talented Uruguayan. I must admit I never rated players like Sterling or Henderson but somehow these players have been molded into first 11 players.

I look forward to games now instead of dreading them! Even expectations have returned, I'll be disappointed if we don't score more than 3 goals per game! I even go along with the nutters who predict 6-0 scorelines and funny enough we actually score 6 goals.

Absolute madness, we have gone from completely random and unpredictable (lots of draws, loses to all the smaller clubs hitting the crossbar hundreds of times) to become extremely efficient & lethal at scoring and winning games.

Defending is another matter, one for next season.

Amen to that

And if by chance the honeymoon ends next season and it all turns out to be flash in the pan.

All more reason to rejoice and enjoy what we are currently seeing this season
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion