LIVERPOOL VS DERBY COUNTY - Barclays premier league 15:00

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby johnnyrocket7 » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:01 pm

hopefully, i dont know about any one else but i just felt a bit embarrassed for them. What an annihilation! Really we could've been 7 maybe 9 up at the end for the amount of chances, but crickey derby had possibly the best display of complete defensive incompetence I've ever seen.
Cheers
Johnnyrocket7
johnnyrocket7

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:24 pm

There's nothing like a massive win to create a bit of optimism, is there? Saturday was mightily impressive and even more enjoyable. But a little bit of perspective is definitely required. Derby are as poor a team as I've seen in the top flight for years. That said, we played them as if that was the case, which has been an all too rare response to mediocre opponents at Anfield for a long time, now. The aggressive, attacking attitude throughout the team has been the best aspect of our start to the season, for me. However, Saturday saw the quality of the actual football played step up a gear, too. Throughout the side, we are brimming with confidence and the competition for places appears to be having a genuinely positive effect on the player' performances (not least Pennant, who appears to have responded best to the other players breathing down his neck).

The defence was virtually superfluous at the back, so it was great to see them all contributing a great deal going forward. Finnan and Sami ably supported with forays down the right flank, but it was Danny Boy and Albert who stood out as attacking players. Agger's pass to Albert to set up Babel's goal was superb and he looked imperious on the ball throughout the match. Albert however, looked even better. I really like the way he plays with his head up and that was a significant part of his great attacking play.

Up into midfield, we were brilliant across the pitch. Xabi and The Chief were simply oozing class. The best thing about both of their performances though was the lack of inhibition. Last season, I felt both of them tended toward the conservative in games like this, but Saturday they were right at the heart of everything, setting the tempo and encouraging waves of aggressive attacks. On the left, Babel still looked raw - but not Cisse raw; more early Gerrard raw: he will be a very, very aggressive attacking player, but not without significant class, too. His goal showed intelligence, trickery, skill and aggression and he also popped up in few others positions to create dangerous moves (Xabi's second being one example). The final member of the four, Pennant, had his best peformance of the season, for me. He looks like he has taken the challenge to his position firmly on the chin and used it to spur him on in his own game. His movement was superb and he is beginning to intimidate defenders now. The doubts about his end product remain valid, but he is answering them, little by little, with each successive performance.

Up front, Dirk showed how his effort and movement can be so devastating when he's surrounded by better quality football. I think there are still justifiable question marks over his game, but when we plays like that, he's a menace. Opposing defenders are simply hounded by him, getting pulled all over the place to create space for his partner. Which obviously brings me to Torres. I hadn't seen a lot of him prior to his arrival, but I can now safely say he is a top, top player. I've used the word a lot already in this little summary, but it applies to him in spades: he is so aggressive - and in the best sense of the word. His touch, movement, passing, strength and pace are superb and the only question mark lies over his finishing. I reckon he's going to put that one to bed, though. He is so confident in everything he does and so perfectly made for English football that I think he's going to bang them in this season. What odds are being offered for top scorer, because I want a slice?

Beyond them, the subs were ace. Momo looks like he's been renewed after the toll exacted by his lay-off last season and Benayoun showed signs that his game will rise to match the company he's in. However, the biggest plus - and surprise - of the season so far for me, is Voronin. Another player who looks built for the English game. He's like Bellamy, but with strength, intelligence and better finishing and passing (in other words, he's not like Bellamy; he's just fast). He could well be the bargain of the season.

Overall, a great performance, even if optimism must be tempered by the paucity of opponent. It looks like Rafa is being as good as his word in terms of our attacking intentions and maybe he's right: maybe we do have the squad to go all the way now. Sterner tests will have to be faced and overcome than this to convince me, but I'm certainly seeing the possibilities now.

Viva la Rafalution!!!
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:34 pm

Derby County's Craig Fagan has been charged with violent conduct in relation to an incident involving Liverpool's Alvaro Arbeloa during the match at Anfield on Saturday September 1.

Referee Alan Wiley has confirmed that he did not see the incident, and that had he done so he would have sent Fagan off.

Fagan has until 6pm on Wednesday to admit or deny the charge, which carries an automatic three-match suspension if proved.

The case will be heard by a Regulatory Commission on Thursday.
112-1077774096

Postby username » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:21 pm

peewee wrote:Derby County's Craig Fagan has been charged with violent conduct in relation to an incident involving Liverpool's Alvaro Arbeloa during the match at Anfield on Saturday September 1.

Referee Alan Wiley has confirmed that he did not see the incident, and that had he done so he would have sent Fagan off.

Fagan has until 6pm on Wednesday to admit or deny the charge, which carries an automatic three-match suspension if proved.

And he has infact got a 4 match suspension. He got a match extra for being stupid enough to try and appeal it  :laugh:
"Fernando Towers won't triumph in the premiership.
And you can quote me on that. " - Sabre 2007
Sorry Sabre, but when i see stuff like this i have to quote it :D
username

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:59 pm

username wrote:
peewee wrote:Derby County's Craig Fagan has been charged with violent conduct in relation to an incident involving Liverpool's Alvaro Arbeloa during the match at Anfield on Saturday September 1.

And he has infact got a 4 match suspension. He got a match extra for being stupid enough to try and appeal it  :laugh:

Thats great, it was a shocking challenge and players seeing the severity of the ban might think twice about putting in tackles or stamps like that now.
Proper sh!thouse challenge it was.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion