Liverpool vs Chelsea - League Cup - 19.45 - Sky Sports

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Doeboy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:16 pm

redshade » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:40 pm wrote:I just think last night was a scary dip into the past ,when we watched with a painful squint whilst certain players made capitulation an art form.

Yup it was reminiscent to those day when we had to live with the teletubbies leading our backline.
It just goes to show how important it is having quality at the back.

The goal Hazard scored it would be interesting to see how Robertson and Van Dijk would've done if they were there.

Thought Keita was a bit too powder puff when he went over to Hazard. Kind of got over to him but didn't actually do much to make it difficult for Hazard. Hazard is their best player and when he gets the ball in that kind of area alarm bells should be ringing but Keita was a bit too casual for me in that instance in making it difficult for Hazard. We all know Moreno isn't good enough and Hazard was going to have him on toast once he drove through.
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Doeboy » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:16 pm wrote:
redshade » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:40 pm wrote:I just think last night was a scary dip into the past ,when we watched with a painful squint whilst certain players made capitulation an art form.

Yup it was reminiscent to those day when we had to live with the teletubbies leading our backline.
It just goes to show how important it is having quality at the back.

The goal Hazard scored it would be interesting to see how Robertson and Van Dijk would've done if they were there.

Thought Keita was a bit too powder puff when he went over to Hazard. Kind of got over to him but didn't actually do much to make it difficult for Hazard. Hazard is their best player and when he gets the ball in that kind of area alarm bells should be ringing but Keita was a bit too casual for me in that instance in making it difficult for Hazard. We all know Moreno isn't good enough and Hazard was going to have him on toast once he drove through.

I just think Keita was a bit knackered by that point, he'd made 4 or 5 lung bursting runs practically over the full length of the pitch in support of our attack and I think his legs had gone. He was probably hoping Moreno could deal with Hazard but he got his answer a few seconds later.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby kazza » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:44 am

Hazzard loves to go down and earn cheap penalties, done it to us and others countless times. No doubt Keita’s soft tackle had something to do with Hazzard’s skill in earning penalties and the prematch brief he must have got. Hazzard must be so annoying to play against, he holds on to the ball, holds onto the ball, holds onto the ball then collapses when he feels possession is lost, he is so short and quick that bigger defenders have to make contact. He is king of the soft penalty, great player with skills but he loves to go down. His style makes him one of the most fouled players and he plays that advantage. You really need to tackle him hard as soon as he gets the ball in deeper areas and stop him going on a run.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:09 am

We had our chances to get something out of this game. It was good to see Keita surging forward and having a tasty shot on goal. That's what he needs to do more of.

Moreno for president!??
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:54 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am wrote:We had our chances to get something out of this game. It was good to see Keita surging forward and having a tasty shot on goal. That's what he needs to do more of.

Moreno for president!??

He's the only midfielder on our books who does that
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby aCe' » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:36 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 am wrote:
aCe' » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:02 pm wrote:Not too bothered about the domestic cups but encouraging displays I thought from the likes of Fabinho and Clyne. Shaqiri had a poor game and I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp has a go at him and limits his minutes a bit. Keita was decent but needs to be a bit more of a facilitator at times. Moreno and Clyne contributed very little going forward.

Hazard is unplayable at the moment and that goal was pure magic.

Will be interesting to see how we approach the game at Stamford because we struggled containing Hazard and they'll certainly look for him at every opportunity on the weekend.

I thought Shaquiri was our best player, Clyne did okay but he's not a natural footballer, he's poor in possession, agree about Fabinho though, he wasn't fantastic or anything but considering it was his debut I thought he was pretty decent.
As for Saturday I think we can do them, this Chelsea side isnt as good defensively as Chelsea teams of the past and I've noticed they don't like to be pressed high up the pitch, tonight our press wasn't really there but it will be on the weekend.

Shaqiri is decent in possession but needs to seems to be struggling to get to grasps with our formation and style of play. He's accustomed to having a free role with Stoke and Switzerland with little to do off the ball. He doesnt join in on the press when he needs to and seems to do his own thing more often than not.
You could argue that he's trying to do too much on the ball and it might be the case, but at the moment, I feel Klopp cant trust him to track back and be as defensively aware as the rest of the squad.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:46 pm

I don't agree. Shaqiri was trying to press, chasing the ball down and trying to put defenders under pressure. He looked OK to me.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:48 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:54 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:09 am wrote:We had our chances to get something out of this game. It was good to see Keita surging forward and having a tasty shot on goal. That's what he needs to do more of.

Moreno for president!??

He's the only midfielder on our books who does that

Agreed. Milner, Hendo and Wjnaldum don't like going forward and having a shot. Other than the front three, it's hard to see where any goals will come from. So its good we signed Shaqiri.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:14 pm

aCe' » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:36 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:28 am wrote:
aCe' » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:02 pm wrote:Not too bothered about the domestic cups but encouraging displays I thought from the likes of Fabinho and Clyne. Shaqiri had a poor game and I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp has a go at him and limits his minutes a bit. Keita was decent but needs to be a bit more of a facilitator at times. Moreno and Clyne contributed very little going forward.

Hazard is unplayable at the moment and that goal was pure magic.

Will be interesting to see how we approach the game at Stamford because we struggled containing Hazard and they'll certainly look for him at every opportunity on the weekend.

I thought Shaquiri was our best player, Clyne did okay but he's not a natural footballer, he's poor in possession, agree about Fabinho though, he wasn't fantastic or anything but considering it was his debut I thought he was pretty decent.
As for Saturday I think we can do them, this Chelsea side isnt as good defensively as Chelsea teams of the past and I've noticed they don't like to be pressed high up the pitch, tonight our press wasn't really there but it will be on the weekend.

Shaqiri is decent in possession but needs to seems to be struggling to get to grasps with our formation and style of play. He's accustomed to having a free role with Stoke and Switzerland with little to do off the ball. He doesnt join in on the press when he needs to and seems to do his own thing more often than not.
You could argue that he's trying to do too much on the ball and it might be the case, but at the moment, I feel Klopp cant trust him to track back and be as defensively aware as the rest of the squad.

Id actually agree with that, Shaquiri worked his plums off but he seemed to be pressing on his own at times, he needs to learn when to press etc. Once he gets that right I can see him being a first team regular, he's by far the most creative player we have at the club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games