Liverpool vs Villa - Sat 24th Aug 17:30 Sky sports 1

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby supersub » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm

yeah....cheesecakery
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:23 pm

Looked shaky at the back. Didn't close them down and very nearly paid the price for it. Not a peno either. 3 points though. Thanks very much for the near coronary in the 2nd half :)
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:24 pm

supersub » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:16 pm wrote:yeah....cheesecakery

Who is this cheesecakery I have seen people mention ?
Benny The Noon

Postby devaney » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:52 pm

Cracking result. Brilliant at times in the first half. Fantastic goal by Danny. Excellent understanding with PC. Parked the bus in the second half which wasn't pretty but reasonably effective.

Luis has now missed 14 games as a result of being banned. We have won 10 drawn 2 lost 2. They are title winning stats....
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:05 pm

Good Result which is totally in contrast to this team nature. Points through defending isn't the way to go for this team. I Hope BR doesn't accept this method of play ,it will NOT work in the long Run.

First 30 minutes were superb ,rest of the 60....Happy for the 3 points but warning flags were raised. Let's not ignore them. I have no idea why we stopped playing in the 2nd half.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:18 pm wrote:i thought we looked great in the first half but in the second we ran out of steam alarmingly.
as gerrard and lucas tired they dropped deeper and deeper until they were practically sat on the toes of our back 4, at that point even when we cleared the ball there was no one in midfield to fight for the dropdowns because as i said lucas and gerrard were playing almost as auxillary CB`s. for the second week in succession late on in the game we have totally lost the territorial battle and invited tons of pressure on ourselves mainly because our CM`s have nothing left in the tank.
at one point lucas (who was outstanding first half) overran and lost the ball in a dangerous position near our box but didnt even have the energy to run back.
in the first half we kept the ball like barca but in the second we were hoofing it aimlessly and struggled to string five passes together.
if we are not comfortably ahead i think brendan needs to go to the bench around the 70/75 minute mark and if needs be he`s got to replace both gerrard and lucas and let allen and hendo close the games out. that lack of athleticism is going to cost us against the better sides.

I think you're looking at it wrong mate. Unlike last week when we were pushed back, this time it was Rodgers' decision to sit back. You could see that we weren't interested in attacking at all in the second half.
I don't think we ran out of steam or energy at all. The midfield, especially Lucas, was totally in control of the situation. The particular situation with Lucas that you're mentioning, Lucas stopped because he though it was a foul (and rightly so).
The chances Villa had were all by accident and none of them were planned, so that's why I believe the players did a great job defensively and controlled most of the game even though we didn't have the ball. I must say though, I don't approve of this kind of approach (especially not with just one goal lead) because on another day those accidental chances might be goals.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Stopped playing in the 2nd half because the midfield dropped deeper and deeper because they were frightened of the pace of Agbonlahor and Benteke
Benny The Noon

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Nobody was "frightened" Benny. What we did was planned and it turned out great.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:19 pm

damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:13 pm wrote:Nobody was "frightened" Benny. What we did was planned and it turned out great.

Got to disagree ,we were frightened as hell. This team which has a lot of attacking power can't rely on defensive tactics ,so it must had been a mental thing. Worked Today won't work tomorrow.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 pm

damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm wrote:Nobody was "frightened" Benny. What we did was planned and it turned out great.

Planning to sit deep on the CB's conceding possession giving Villa the chance to pile on the pressure ??? That's not very good planning - the players were frightened of the pace and invited the pressure on to us - carry on doing that and it won't be great every game.
Benny The Noon

Postby parchpea » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Not a great game really and we dominated possession and bossed the first half then seemed to sit back
after the break as Villa made a half arsed attempt at a comeback.

Both teams looked a bit off the pace fitness wise and we looked spent the last 15 mins or so but not under the cosh.

If you look at Villas first two games its an impressive win but then there is the Villa from the whole of last
year so god knows what today means other than 3 points in the bag which is very welcome.

Thought Toure played well against an in form Benteke and Sturridge quality plus he put a shift in and tracked
back to help Johnson second half (still don't know what to make of Johnson personally).

Good start but we still need a couple of quality additions but that's a given really, week to go to fix that.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:33 pm

Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:22 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:13 pm wrote:Nobody was "frightened" Benny. What we did was planned and it turned out great.

Planning to sit deep on the CB's conceding possession giving Villa the chance to pile on the pressure ??? That's not very good planning - the players were frightened of the pace and invited the pressure on to us - carry on doing that and it won't be great every game.

I completely agree that it wasn't a good plan at all. That's why I was angry at first because I thought it wouldn't work. But Villa's main strength is fast movement and counterattacking and the best way to stop that is to not give them any space in our half. That's why we sat back and packed our own half.

It's a risky plan because it doesn't always work (opposition might score by accident, almost did) but who's to say that if we kept pressing them like we always do, they wouldn't have scored on the counter? Conceding like that would have been even worse because we didn't stop them from doing what they do best.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:51 pm

damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:33 pm wrote:

I completely agree that it wasn't a good plan at all. That's why I was angry at first because I thought it wouldn't work. But Villa's main strength is fast movement and counterattacking and the best way to stop that is to not give them any space in our half. That's why we sat back and packed our own half.

It's a risky plan because it doesn't always work (opposition might score by accident, almost did) but who's to say that if we kept pressing them like we always do, they wouldn't have scored on the counter? Conceding like that would have been even worse because we didn't stop them from doing what they do best.

we ran out of steam mate, watch it again, you can plainly see that lucas was shattered. no way was that a plan to defend on the edge of our own box. in the last 20 minutes it looked like they had more players than us because every loose ball seemed to fall to a claret and blue jersey.
what we should have done was keep the ball like we did in the first half and make them run around chasing shadows but we kept trying to play long balls and killer balls which only succeeded in giving them the ball back.
lucas was showing pre injury form in the first half but he was out on his feet at the end.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:55 pm

damjan193 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:33 pm wrote:

It didnt look planned mate - they just kept drifting further and further backward s.
Benny The Noon

Postby Hustler 2 » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:02 am

Benny The Noon » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:00 pm wrote:
The Good Yank » Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:21 pm wrote:
Hustler 2 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:18 pm wrote:If it ends up 3-4 to us, does that mean it has been a "thrilla at the Villa" !!!?

Holy Shlt.

You may have made some knobbish posts.  But this one is so bad it should be bannable

Did I just make up a word?

Did we have a Hustler 1 ?

Lol. I think u know so!

Darling
Last edited by Hustler 2 on Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:18 am, edited 4 times in total.
Get down and Boogie !!!!
Hustler 2
LFC Advanced Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games