Liverpool vs Villa - Sat 24th Aug 17:30 Sky sports 1

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:45 pm

awful tactics from rodgers if he did ask us to sit back and absorb pressure, this team isnt set up for that, we struggle to defend set pieces at the best of times so to deliberately invite pressure (including crosses/corners/free kicks) on ourselves is f##king kamikaze stuff, this team isnt rafa`s defensive machine which had the likes of carragher and hyypia at the back (not to mention mascherano screening the back 4), that side could absorb pressure all day and frustrate the best of them including the barcelona`s, juventus`s and real madrid`s of this world, this back 4 couldnt.
why would anyone deliberately invite pressure when our defensive headers are so awful? we dont clear our lines with authority we just lobb the ball up in the air and we certainly rode our luck when agbonlahors (sp?) volley went just wide off one such header.
thats not down to good tactics thats just luck.
benteke put one header just wide then the next ball in toure barges him when he`s in the air, if that would have been at old trafford the ref would have pointed to the spot.
this team would be better off keeping the ball and just knocking it around the midfield and back 4 if it wants to kill a game off, it would be more suited to doing that than sitting back and inviting pressure.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:25 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:45 am wrote:awful tactics from rodgers if he did ask us to sit back and absorb pressure, this team isnt set up for that, we struggle to defend set pieces at the best of times so to deliberately invite pressure (including crosses/corners/free kicks) on ourselves is f##king kamikaze stuff, this team isnt rafa`s defensive machine which had the likes of carragher and hyypia at the back (not to mention mascherano screening the back 4), that side could absorb pressure all day and frustrate the best of them including the barcelona`s, juventus`s and real madrid`s of this world, this back 4 couldnt.
why would anyone deliberately invite pressure when our defensive headers are so awful? we dont clear our lines with authority we just lobb the ball up in the air and we certainly rode our luck when agbonlahors (sp?) volley went just wide off one such header.
benteke put one header just wide then the next ball in toure barges him when he`s in the air, if that would have been at old trafford the ref would have pointed to the spot.
this team would be better off keeping the ball and just knocking it around the midfield and back 4 if it wants to kill a game off, it would be more suited to doing that than sitting back and inviting pressure.

So awful were his tactics we won the match hey?

Awful, to allow a team whose forte for getting points is counter attacking. Villa didn't know what to do with 11 men behind the ball, they don't bargain on breaking teams down and it showed. The only chance they had was a half volley and the Agbonlahor one, the rest of the time they were left  taking pot shots from 25 yards out - I could understand your gripe had that been Citeh or Chelsea but in this context I think the manager eventually played a clever maneuver. I don't agree they were necessarily his intentions from the start of the second half but in Coutinho and Aspas we looked useless and unable to counter attack ourselves. The subs were the part of this tactical defensive maneuver. Villa really looked ordinary when they had to break us down and play in front of us; they look more potent and pacey on the break and they could have easily and possibly mustered more than two proper attempts on goal had the likes of Lucas and Gerrard been on the front foot.

Villa like to play like an away side, even when their at home but we made them play like a home side and they don't like it and subsequently struggle.

For all this talk of Benteke (I haven't admittedly seen much of him), Kolo did a job on him yesterday and the Belgian forward didn't impress me and he's already scored 3 goals this season against Arsenal and Chelsea. We already look better defensively with Toure and Mignolet in our side, I'd also trust Gerrard and Lucas to do a job against a side like Villa too - and you know what? They did.

My only worry is, trying that against the better sides, if Rodgers picks and chooses this kind of tactic infrequently against certain sides, we maybe alright, as the case proved yesterday.

Nothing kamikaze about it, we absorbed everything they threw at us - which in the end wasn't a lot, thanks to those awful tactics.
Last edited by Kenny Kan on Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:35 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:45 pm wrote:awful tactics from rodgers if he did ask us to sit back and absorb pressure, this team isnt set up for that, we struggle to defend set pieces at the best of times so to deliberately invite pressure (including crosses/corners/free kicks) on ourselves is f##king kamikaze stuff, this team isnt rafa`s defensive machine which had the likes of carragher and hyypia at the back (not to mention mascherano screening the back 4), that side could absorb pressure all day and frustrate the best of them including the barcelona`s, juventus`s and real madrid`s of this world, this back 4 couldnt.

It's certainly very risky - I'm not sure we intended to drop as deep as we did . Certainly wouldn't like to see them tactics employed again to that extent. A very smart save from Mignolet saved us from dropping two points. Not clever to sit deep and just invite the pressure onto the back line and as someone said yesterday it looked like they get tired.
Benny The Noon

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:39 pm

Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:25 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:45 am wrote:awful tactics from rodgers if he did ask us to sit back and absorb pressure, this team isnt set up for that, we struggle to defend set pieces at the best of times so to deliberately invite pressure (including crosses/corners/free kicks) on ourselves is f##king kamikaze stuff, this team isnt rafa`s defensive machine which had the likes of carragher and hyypia at the back (not to mention mascherano screening the back 4), that side could absorb pressure all day and frustrate the best of them including the barcelona`s, juventus`s and real madrid`s of this world, this back 4 couldnt.

Awful, to allow a team whose forte for getting points is counter attacking. Villa didn't know what to do with 11 men behind the ball, they don't bargain on breaking teams down and it showed. The only chance they had was a half volley and the Agbonlahor one, the rest of the time they were left  taking pot shots from 25 yards out - I could understand your gripe had that been Citeh or Chelsea but in this context I think the manager eventually played a clever maneuver. I don't agree they were necessarily his intentions from the start of the second half but in Coutinho and Aspas we looked useless and unable to counter attack ourselves. The subs were the part of this tactical defensive maneuver. Villa really looked ordinary when they had to break us down and play in front of us; they look more potent and pacey on the break and they could have easily and possibly mustered more than two proper attempts on goal had the likes of Lucas and Gerrard been on the front foot.

Villa like to play like an away side, even when their at home but we made them play like a home side and they don't like it and subsequently struggle.

For all this talk of Benteke (I haven't admittedly seen much of him), Kolo did a job on him yesterday and the Belgian forward didn't impress me and he's already scored 3 goals this season against Arsenal and Chelsea. We already look better defensively with Toure and Mignolet in our side, I'd also trust Gerrard and Lucas to do a job against a side like Villa too - and you know what? They did.

My only worry is, trying that against the better sides, if Rodgers picks and chooses this kind of tactic infrequently against certain sides, we maybe alright, as the case proved yesterday.

Nothing kamikaze about it, we absorbed everything they threw at us - which in the end wasn't a lot, thanks to those awful tactics.

there was only one side that looked ordinary in the second half and that was us, they had all the ball whilst we were camped back in our own box and couldnt string five passes together, any 50/50 balls villa`s midfield were onto them like a shot and anytime one of our players tried to carry the ball they were barged off it easily.
the idea that all that was part of some grand masterplan is laughable really.
i suppose last week against stoke was the same? the old `give them a pen and lull them into a false sense of security with 2 minutes to go` trick, worked a treat  :glare:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby only me » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Kenny Kan » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:25 pm wrote:

Retrospect analysis is pretty lame. Yes We Won. Was it a secure confident win?  Far from it ,why? Due to wrong tactics.

I don't think how one can argue that was the right thing to do considering we played superb football on the first 30 minutes and then completely shut off. Contrary to the stoke game where we produced countless attempts at goals ,this game was too calculated and risky for my taste. Fact is We Won ,Yes ,Fact Is Villa got their 1-2 scoring chances which could have left us without nothing.

Our main concern is to score 2-3 goals a game and less around keeping a clean sheet. This team is built for that.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Red Focus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Once again Mignolet saved our backsides. Had it been Pepe, we could have either lost or drew.
Red Focus
LFC Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm

The Reds play in the first half could only be described as imperious ,Villa were left chasing shadows.The second half was in stark contrast with the
first with Liverpool dropping deeper and allowing Villa to dictate the play , I actually thought they would provide much more of a sterner test than
they actually did.... Maybe it was a deviation from the familiar Rodgers blueprint ? Maybe we just simply forgot how to keep the ball ? Who gives a
fuck we won again ,and we won it by battling to the very end ,not unlike the manner those dirty bastards down the East Lancs used
time and time again at the start of every season.

Nevertheless it was another 3 points  against a side top teams have struggled with,we nullified the pace of Abonglahor and we consigned Benteke
to feeding of scraps.

Toure was a Monster ,Mignolet was immense ,and Lucas was Herculean .

Bring on Golum's boys. :buttrock
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:21 pm

Red Focus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:21 pm wrote:Once again Mignolet saved our backsides. Had it been Pepe, we could have either lost or drew.

keepers make mistakes mate  :nod  and you are very naive if you think that mingy wont.
he is just starting his career with us and has got off to a good start but using that as an excuse to have a pop at a man that has given us great service over the years is downright disrespectful.
with comments like that it shows just how supportive some of our fans will be should mingy make a howler or two.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:23 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm wrote:The Reds play in the first half could only be described as imperious ,Villa were left chasing shadows.The second half was in stark contrast with the
first with Liverpool dropping deeper and allowing Villa to dictate the play , I actually thought they would provide much more of a sterner test than
they actually did.... Maybe it was a deviation from the familiar Rodgers blueprint ? Maybe we just simply forgot how to keep the ball ? Who gives a
fuck we won again ,and we won it by battling to the very end ,not unlike the manner those dirty bastards down the East Lancs used

Nevertheless it was another 3 points  against a side top teams have struggled with,we nullified the pace of Abonglahor and we consigned Benteke
to feeding of scraps.

how weird is it going to be watching gollum in red  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:29 pm

I didnt realise we had only one shot on target and 3 off target ? I know we created nothing in the second half but thought we had more in the first. And did they really have 17 shots on goal and 3 on target ?
Benny The Noon

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:59 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:23 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:08 pm wrote:The Reds play in the first half could only be described as imperious ,Villa were left chasing shadows.The second half was in stark contrast with the

to feeding of scraps.

how weird is it going to be watching gollum in red  :nod

It hasn't been as weird as watching him trying to be a mini Taggart . :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:31 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:21 pm wrote:
Red Focus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:21 pm wrote:Once again Mignolet saved our backsides. Had it been Pepe, we could have either lost or drew.

keepers make mistakes mate  :nod  and you are very naive if you think that mingy wont.
he is just starting his career with us and has got off to a good start but using that as an excuse to have a pop at a man that has given us great service over the years is downright disrespectful.
with comments like that it shows just how supportive some of our fans will be should mingy make a howler or two.

Well said...granted the past season and a half Reina looks to have lost a bit of focus and confidence but prior to that HE WAS MASSIVE for us  :nod
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games