Potential january transfer activity - Who should we get in jan!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:34 pm

aCe' wrote:Ba would be awesome. As would Tiote. And Cabaye.
Shame we got Carroll. But maybe he'll come good.
I also like Cavani. Dont think we have a shot though.
Maybe Lavezzi. But he isn't prolific.
If I had to pick 2 buys for January, it would be Hoilett & Ba.
Really hope we go for a central midfielder though.

As good as Ba is you have to remember his injury record is terrible. He has failed a medical for knee issues and was on a pay to play deal at West ham because of his failed medical.

Now some would say he has proven he is over the knee injury but knee injuries often halt a player's career if they flare up again.

The question is whether signing is worth the risk?
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby South East Kop » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Adam Johnson of City would be a great signing.  Interesting to see out of all the rumours on the link below that several people think it could be a goer.

Sky Your Transfer Rumours

Also note the link below - Johnson concerned lack of playing time will cost him England place.

Johnson Concerned At Lack of Playing Time
Last edited by South East Kop on Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
South East Kop

Postby aCe' » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:09 pm

metalhead wrote:Do we really need Tiote when Lucas comes back from injury? I know he is a very good player, but I would rather spend money on buying a midfielder in Luca Modric or Fabregas mold, someone who is creative. James McCarthy of Wigan?

As much as I admire Lucas for the way he turned around his Liverpool career and the excellent performances he's put in over the past 12 months or so, he's not -and never will be- as good a player as Tiote is.

I do see your point about strengthening elsewhere since we really need to sort out the forward positions urgently and perhaps consider defensive acquisitions in the near future, but for me the spine of the side needs to be strengthened and I see Tiote as a player who can come in and add balance to the middle of the park.

Both Adam and Henderson have failed to impress so far and with Lucas out for the season and Gerrard struggling with injuries in recent times, we're likely to be left exposed in the department yet and again. Tiote for me would offer not only a shotr term solution, but also a long term one since  have no doubt that a combination of him and Lucas would have more than enough between them to start play from the back and venture higher up occasionally to support the attacking play.

The problem -the way I see it- is that players like Ba, Hoilett, and Tiote to a lesser extent will all be snapped up by big clubs sooner or later. In the case of Hoilett and Ba, their asking price at the moment represents excellent value for money with Hoilett's contract expiring at the end of the season and Ba having a release clause of 5mill or so on his. Tiote would probably be a 15-20 million player but again, I dont see his price dropping anytime soon, and given the type of player he is, I'm sure many top sides (Utd and Chelsea) would be very interested in signing him at the end of the season.

Regarding your suggestion, Im afraid McCarthy is exactly the sort of player we SHOULDNT be signing. Young, expensive mainly because hes British, unproven, and inconsistent. To add to that, hes not specialized enough in any particular department and his goal-scoring record is poor. Funny enough, going by our signings so far hes probably the most likely to sign out of all the players mentioned.   

If we are going to go down that route (and I'm not suggesting we do) then I'd rather we take more calculated risks in the future. Henderson for 20mill was bad business and I'd like to think it was a mistake that we learned from. From the young British talent out there that could potentially sign for us, the most impressive 2 players for me have to be Hoilett from Blackburn and McClean from Sunderland.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:46 pm

He really is Canadian, aCe'.
LFC2007

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:27 pm

:D
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:58 pm

aCe' wrote:
metalhead wrote:Do we really need Tiote when Lucas comes back from injury? I know he is a very good player, but I would rather spend money on buying a midfielder in Luca Modric or Fabregas mold, someone who is creative. James McCarthy of Wigan?

As much as I admire Lucas for the way he turned around his Liverpool career and the excellent performances he's put in over the past 12 months or so, he's not -and never will be- as good a player as Tiote is.

I do see your point about strengthening elsewhere since we really need to sort out the forward positions urgently and perhaps consider defensive acquisitions in the near future, but for me the spine of the side needs to be strengthened and I see Tiote as a player who can come in and add balance to the middle of the park.

Both Adam and Henderson have failed to impress so far and with Lucas out for the season and Gerrard struggling with injuries in recent times, we're likely to be left exposed in the department yet and again. Tiote for me would offer not only a shotr term solution, but also a long term one since  have no doubt that a combination of him and Lucas would have more than enough between them to start play from the back and venture higher up occasionally to support the attacking play.

The problem -the way I see it- is that players like Ba, Hoilett, and Tiote to a lesser extent will all be snapped up by big clubs sooner or later. In the case of Hoilett and Ba, their asking price at the moment represents excellent value for money with Hoilett's contract expiring at the end of the season and Ba having a release clause of 5mill or so on his. Tiote would probably be a 15-20 million player but again, I dont see his price dropping anytime soon, and given the type of player he is, I'm sure many top sides (Utd and Chelsea) would be very interested in signing him at the end of the season.

Regarding your suggestion, Im afraid McCarthy is exactly the sort of player we SHOULDNT be signing. Young, expensive mainly because hes British, unproven, and inconsistent. To add to that, hes not specialized enough in any particular department and his goal-scoring record is poor. Funny enough, going by our signings so far hes probably the most likely to sign out of all the players mentioned.   

If we are going to go down that route (and I'm not suggesting we do) then I'd rather we take more calculated risks in the future. Henderson for 20mill was bad business and I'd like to think it was a mistake that we learned from. From the young British talent out there that could potentially sign for us, the most impressive 2 players for me have to be Hoilett from Blackburn and McClean from Sunderland.

Errrrrr...just to point out, McCarthy has been capped by Trappatoni, so is most definitely not British.....just for the record  :)
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby aCe' » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:06 am

bunglemark2 wrote:
aCe' wrote:

Errrrrr...just to point out, McCarthy has been capped by Trappatoni, so is most definitely not British.....just for the record  :)

:laugh:

Ive got no clue where the guys are from. You all get the point though.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:27 pm

Soldado please. :)
Kopite-Jud

Postby Aussie Style » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:44 am

Kopite-Jud wrote:Soldado please. :)

+1
Aussie Style
LFC Super Member

Postby Calum » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:53 am

Just as I think we should loan Carroll back to Newcastle, I would take Torres back on loan from Chelsea. I'm guessing that's not a popular choice, but it just hasn't worked out for him at Stamford Bridge. It's a pity we never saw Saurez and Torres play together. It'll never happen, of course.
Calum

Postby devaney » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:29 am

Calum wrote:Just as I think we should loan Carroll back to Newcastle, I would take Torres back on loan from Chelsea. I'm guessing that's not a popular choice, but it just hasn't worked out for him at Stamford Bridge. It's a pity we never saw Saurez and Torres play together. It'll never happen, of course.

Would love to see Torres and Suarez play together just out of curiosity.The fans would very quickly forgive him and he would have a massive point to prove.JUST TAKE A FKG CHANCE AND BUY HIM BACK! I miss him!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Rush Job » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:06 pm

mart wrote:
maguskwt wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Watched Palermo vs. Napoli this evening. Belter of a goal from Cavani.....wouldn't that be nice ?

He looks alot more mobile than Carroll I'll tell you that...

My grandma looks more mobile than Carroll.

And shes only mobile during an earth quake  :D

Stoke today, andys kind of game. Lets hope he can get on the score sheet.
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion