SUNDERLAND VS LIVERPOOL - Saturday 17th october, 3pm.

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Owzat » Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:54 pm

Madmax wrote:What i would like to know is how come rafa loves to field a lone striker? When torres is injured what is wrong with reverting back to the traditional 4-4-2..

With the absence of two key players we should have stuck to a defensive set-up the players are familiar with and perhaps changed to two up front. Problem is Rafa kept two out of form player in Skrtel and Carra in the side, brought back Agger who hasn't played for us since whenever and then decides to top that all off with giving Spearing a chance as well as Babel. With so many out of form players in a formation I doubt one of them would have voted to play three at the back, perhaps exception being whichever CB might have otherwise missed out.

We should have played what experienced players were available, choosing those in best form. That said, Rafa was on his heels in response to the poor play and didn't change anything until too late - late even by his standards.

It was a shambles, first goal Rafa has conceded against Sunderland aside, we never looked like winning it. I guess people can trot out all the usual lines about no money from the owners, playing X games out of Y away from home, the international break and injured players, blah, blah, blah, but the fact remains that is the hand the MANAGER is dealt. We can't say "well we'll win the league, but only if Gerrard and Torres play 95% of the games and we have no serious injuries, and decisions go our way, and, and, and..................." (sh) It happens, you lose players to injuries and the timing, as it goes, wasn't that bad. Better to have Sunderland than Chelsea or Man Utd. Problem was Rafa is increasingly looking not up to it, he's failing the three parts of strategy that he needs to pass - signings, system and substitutions.

Signings - because, to use a neat analogy, he had £40 to spend and went to the nearest posh resturaunt bought a soup starter for £17.50, bought a nice sounding main course for £20 that wouldn't be ready for three hours and then nipped out and bought a hot dog from a van outside for £1.50. Point being, if you don't have the money to eat in the fancy restaurant so that you can fill your stomach, then you eat somewhere you can afford or make sure at least what you buy serves the purpose.

System - with no Alonso playing 4-3-3 come 4-5-1 is not really working, changing it when you've lost two key players and are leaving out a third is plain daft. And zonal marking is another element just begging to be doubted

Substitutions - maybe some believe all this F1 tyres cobblers or waiting until the players have had time for half-time to take effect, but the bottom line is you need to react and change things when they need changing. If three at the back and the game in general isn't going right, then change it FFS.
Even then you have to wonder if the first set of changes wasn't what should have been the starting set-up, but quite how players are to make their mark or make a difference in 15-25 minutes is something perhaps Rafa can answer. Cue someone to show who scored as a sub, even if most of them were scored when we were 3-0, 4-0, 5-0 or on our way to 8-0 rather than losing. If this has worked this season then tell me now, because we failed to score against Fiorentina, Chelsea and now Sunderland so the subs didn't score then, and we only scored one in each of the other two defeats so those games weren't saved either. In essence it is when you need to turn things around that substitution timings can be key, if you're playing well and it's level then it's not so vital, but if you are behind then to win you need to score TWICE not once, therefore you need enough time to comfortably score twice and let's face it, if you ain't scored in 66-72 minutes, what hope of scoring twice in 18-25 ?!?!? (especially given the quality of some of our subs)

In the words of Lennon, 'all we are saying, is give subs a chance.................................."

There is a case for a replay, but perhaps it's not worth going there. It further exposes how poor the referees are, this time in terms of knowledge of the rules they are there to enforce. Sure it is an obscure rule, not something you'd expect to happen in most games, but if they are paid to do the job at the highest level then they should damn well know them. Like top quizzers, they research all possible questions as much as they can because they can't rely on only having to know the commonest questions. Knowing the answer is "Pickles" isn't enough, they need to know the date he became famous, his DOB, his mum and dad's name, what other bitches he f*cked and even the colour of his turds.

Now every man and his dog knows what SHOULD happen, too f in late and now we all know what the man who should have known didn't at the time.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby algymoon » Sun Oct 18, 2009 1:58 pm

john craig wrote:We were bloody awful yesterday.  In truth we should have lost by more than one goal even though the one that they did score shouldn't have stood.  Darren Bent could easily have had a hat trick on another day, while we didnt look like scoring at all.

The team selection was odd, Carra proved once again that he is seriously on the slide, Lucas was awful once again, Johnson decided to try and get through an entire game without passing to a team mate, Babel couldn't be @rsed and collectively we were simply terrible on the day.

Reina, Kuyt and Benayoun are the only players thst can come out of that game with any sort of dignity.  The rest were pathetic.

The writing on the walls, with a very bad pre-season preparation, and huge loss of Alonso and Hyypia, and the expensive panic buy of Aquilani, all contribute to bad management of Rafa, which I am for fact have never been a fan of this manager, who is so complex, weird, negative, and bad judge of players, he can not motivate players, whereas, he in fact destroys players with good potential!!!.
On yesterday’s game performance in addition to bad performances in the previous games, it give us a clear indication, how weak LFC squad is, despite the huge amount of money that Rafa had spent on it, but it is in constant decline, had failed to come up with goods. This is almost 99% Rafa’s team, they are all his buys, apart from two, Rafa takes the full blame and no body else, I am aware the American owners are :censored: too, who they also take some of the blame for allowing this weird manager to be left in charge for so long. I just simply ask his faithful what kind of achievement that Rafa had brought to the club since he had been in charge, the European champion cup, well he won it with most of G. Houlier’s team, (who was another negative manager).
Our club is in decline, and moving backward, in huge distant behind Arsenal, M.utd, and Chelsea, where the like of A.Villa, and M.City, and even Everton are closing the gap on us, We are not producing a good stream of players anymore, and if we were, Rafa quickly ship them away on the cheap, and replace them with an expensive foreign and below average players, just to fatting his squad with them, in order to apply his routine style of team rotation.
I just can not see how Rafa is going to salvage this season, I honestly can not see it, he has lost it, and wining the league is really beyond him, that is my opinion of for the last five seasons.
algymoon

Postby Number 9 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Judge wrote:Image VERSUS Image

Probably early to start the thread, but hey-ho

After a dismal 2 defeats against Chelsea and previously against Fiorentina away. It is hoped that a much needed victory will be sort after at the Stadium of Light.

Hopefully Torres will come through the spanish world cup game unscathed, and that he will manage to start scoring again.
These are the kind of teams Liverpool need to thrash to maintain a serious title charge, unlike last season when too many draws put paid to a chance of a 20th league title for this year.

come rafa, and come on Liverpool  :)

You should never start another match thread again Judge!
WITCH!! :nod
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:19 pm

I didnt watch it, I was gonna watch it back but I'll probably end up feeling worse than I already do :(
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:09 pm

Urgent message from all those still whinging about yesterday's game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVoQfoU0dQ
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:09 pm

Thinkpad wrote:
maguskwt wrote:I'm not giving up my hopes until it is really impossible...

Hahahaha..

Taken from despair.com
Stupidity
Quitters never win, Winners never quit,
But those who never win and never quits are idiots

What the fu'ck?? :D
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:11 pm

Number 9 wrote:

After a dismal 2 defeats against Chelsea and previously against Fiorentina away. It is hoped that a much needed victory will be sort after at the Stadium of Light.

Hopefully Torres will come through the spanish world cup game unscathed, and that he will manage to start scoring again.
These are the kind of teams Liverpool need to thrash to maintain a serious title charge, unlike last season when too many draws put paid to a chance of a 20th league title for this year.

apart from that i think some are becoming increasingly frustrated ans disillusioned mate
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Reg wrote:Urgent message from all those still whinging about yesterday's game:

:D  good one reggy
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:59 pm

Judge wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

apart from that i think some are becoming increasingly frustrated ans disillusioned mate

I think peeps will be scared to open the next match thread.. lol

Lets give "saint" a shot maybe his name will give us devine intervention.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:18 pm

Reg wrote:Urgent message from all those still whinging about yesterday's game:

:buttrock

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:20 pm

Lando would suit to give a lil talk like that lool but using some of his abusive humour. :D
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:28 pm

You gotta wonder what the feck Gerrard and Torres might be wondering watching from the side. I mean, is it too much to expect others to step up to the plate if you're out injured ? I reckon Gerrard and Torres are probably thinking to themselves if it was such a good idea to sign a new contract....
Truly abysmal perfoemance from soooooo many on the pitch, it beggars belief. This was Sunderland, FFS...And another thing : if Bruce can pick up a leader on the pitch like Cana for a song, why can't we ? What the hell is the famous LFC scouting network really getting paid for, eh ?
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Madmax » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:32 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:You gotta wonder what the feck Gerrard and Torres might be wondering watching from the side. I mean, is it too much to expect others to step up to the plate if you're out injured ? I reckon Gerrard and Torres are probably thinking to themselves if it was such a good idea to sign a new contract....
Truly abysmal perfoemance from soooooo many on the pitch, it beggars belief. This was Sunderland, FFS...And another thing : if Bruce can pick up a leader on the pitch like Cana for a song, why can't we ? What the hell is the famous LFC scouting network really getting paid for, eh ?

Maybe torres and especially gerrard is pondering will we ever retire with a title winning medal to our name?
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Madmax wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:You gotta wonder what the feck Gerrard and Torres might be wondering watching from the side. I mean, is it too much to expect others to step up to the plate if you're out injured ? I reckon Gerrard and Torres are probably thinking to themselves if it was such a good idea to sign a new contract....

Maybe torres and especially gerrard is pondering will we ever retire with a title winning medal to our name?

To be quite frank, mate, I can't see another league title for a long, long time....Wonderboy Aquilani is not going to turn this season around on his own....And with all the other clubs spending much more than we can afford, we're slipping further and furthr behind. Much as I hate to say it......
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Madmax » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:51 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
Madmax wrote:

To be quite frank, mate, I can't see another league title for a long, long time....Wonderboy Aquilani is not going to turn this season around on his own....And with all the other clubs spending much more than we can afford, we're slipping further and furthr behind. Much as I hate to say it......

Im hoping you are wrong but it does feel like that mate.. Would have been great had we not slip last seasons "golden opportunity"..
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games