Liverpool v Manchester United, Monday 17 Oct, KO 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:14 pm

Not a vintage performance but all in all a draw isn't the worst result. That United game was the last fixture of our 'tricky start' and to find ourselves just 2 points off the top of the table after what the fixture computer threw at us is phenominal going. Don't forget 5 of our 8 games have been against Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester and United!
The next time we come up against another top side is 2 months to the day away when we play Everton a week before Christmas so we have got a real chance of racking up some serious points over the next 8 weeks.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:17 pm

We didnt start with our usual quick tempo and think that kinda set the tone and allowed Utd to settle down and from there on in they just looked to get to things first and stop us from playing.

Better in the second half and I was expecting us to push on when Lallana came on but it never really came
Doeboy

Postby eds » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:19 pm

Oh come Reg, it was nowhere near as bad as that.

They played predictably boring defensive football, we didn't want to go all out because Klopp didn't want to lose the game on the counter hence why he played Henderson and Can in the middle.

How easily everyone forgets that outside of De Gea making a worldly save and Firminho running out of juice in the last few minutes we could have come away with a win, whereas they didn't come close to being a danger in front of their goals.

I'm amazed that this odious toerag spends 100m on a single player and then comes here and plays that cowardly football, the media and so called eggsperts are  now going to fawn all over him like he invented defensive football.......
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:23 pm

Had draw written all over it before the kick-off to be honest. Not a disaster by any stretch of the imagination though.

Our real test will come in our next 4 games. Starting with West Brom.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:25 pm

Reg » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:12 pm wrote:Woeful, awful. They dominated us until they themselves ran out of ideas. Jeez what an awful game.

Indeed awful post mate...Now go watch the game with your eyes open Jeez....
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:31 pm

7_Kewell » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:23 pm wrote:Had draw written all over it before the kick-off to be honest. Not a disaster by any stretch of the imagination though.

Our real test will come in our next 4 games. Starting with West Brom.

Yep spot on.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:35 pm

only me » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:25 pm wrote:
Reg » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:12 pm wrote:Woeful, awful. They dominated us until they themselves ran out of ideas. Jeez what an awful game.

Indeed awful post mate...Now go watch the game with your eyes open Jeez....

Very harsh Reg - I KNOW YOU SHARE MY HATRED FOR UNITED but given the time in Singapore I reckon you were asleep for most of the game  :laugh:  :laugh:   :laugh: I know your frustrated - we all are !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby redshade » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:29 pm

When Coutinho played more forward and Lallana came on we looked more threatening. Should have really scored in the period. First half United played well, we struggled to get through them. They were organised and compact.

Anyhow 3 points would have been perfect but 1 point is still not bad. Test is how we perform against the other teams.

On a positive note we got a clean sheet.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:35 pm

Yes, really thought we would score during that period just after Lallana came on. Were building up a head of steam but fizzled out to be honest. Anyway, another point and a clean sheet and on we go
Doeboy

Postby maguskwt » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:40 am

"They are not the last wonder of the world, like you like to say they are, but they are very good team.

"It was more difficult for them than it was for us. We kept control of the game for long periods. In the first half, we were completely in control. In the second half, David De Gea made two great saves but it was out of context.

"We controlled very well the emotion of the game and ourselves and also we could influence the atmosphere of the stadium. They were always showing their disappointment. I thought they were waiting for an easy match for them but it wasn't."

"Last season United won here. Liverpool had 14 shots on target and United had one,'' said the Portuguese.

"How many shots on target did Liverpool have on target today? Two [official statistics actually recorded three].

"Two shots on target with 65 percent of possession. You have to be critical of Liverpool. It is their problem, not our problem.

:laugh: ... omg how deluded is this guy?
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:06 am

I hate Borriniho.. United fans slated him all these years and now love him like his fergie.
I expected more from them considering the amount his spent. Tw.at!
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Mikz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:42 am

They sauntered in..grabbed us by the neck...and choked the life outve us  :(

I dont think we controlled the game at all, except the parts they allowed us to, passing sideways and back . They had a gameplan and pulled it off really well. Klopp looked puzzled on the touchline.
We just dont seem to play well when we are expected to?  We looked awful in that first 45 couldnt get over the half way line, no wonder the fans were so fustrated.

A point will do, they needed it more than us , get over this and on to the next game - and 3 points  :buttrock
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:02 am

Sky referred to the game as a Morinho masterclass !! If putting together a spoiling game plan to ensure that you don't lose after spending nearly £150m in the summer is a masterclass then I WILL WILLINGLY DONATE ONE OF MY GONADS TO MEDICAL SCIENCE  :laugh: Morinho by his usual pathetic comments was actually content that he had managed to stifle our playing style and go away with a point. Pogba and Ibramovic were unbelievably poor. In fact it is probably the worst United team going forward that I have seen at Anfield for a very long time. Karius wasn't really tested during the game. They had one shot on target and that was a feeble attempt. The self proclaimed "SPECIAL ONE" was actually happy with that performance !! Masterclass my a.rse  :help
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:28 am

As good as United were in that first half we deffo helped them with some very sloppy passing, since Jurgen arrived here 12 months ago I don't think I've seen so many misplaced passes and ball's knocked straight out into touch.
Our pressing was non existent in that first half too and it only really got going when Lallana came on and Sturridge went off.
Wijnaldum has his critics but one thing he does is move the ball quickly, I'd hazard a guess that 30% of his passes are hit first time so the opposition struggles to close us down in the middle of the park, last night though there was a lot of dithering on the ball from our CM's.
Never mind, no team plays well for 9 months solid and there are some positives that we can take out the game, the main one being that when Lallana came on and we reverted back to something like the formation we've been using all season they really struggled to cope with us. If we'd have had Lallana and Wijnaldum from the start we would have won that game comfortably IMO.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:30 am

Mikz » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:42 pm wrote:They sauntered in..grabbed us by the neck...and choked the life outve us  :(

I dont think we controlled the game at all, except the parts they allowed us to, passing sideways and back . They had a gameplan and pulled it off really well. Klopp looked puzzled on the touchline.
We just dont seem to play well when we are expected to?  We looked awful in that first 45 couldnt get over the half way line, no wonder the fans were so fustrated.

A point will do, they needed it more than us , get over this and on to the next game - and 3 points  :buttrock

This.

We reverted to sideways and back passing from the start, we didn't threaten at all in the first half and only began to look as though we knew what we were doing when Lalana came on. Clearly this was the game plan because Klopp wasn't animated on the sideline so the plan was to go out there for the point. Sturridge was woeful, Firmino not far behind. We just lacked energy and ideas.

Milner was first class again but the refereeing was  so inconsistent, the number of pushes, shirt pulling that went unpunished. And that Ibrahimovic is just a first class idiot.

We still have a long way to go.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games