Liverpool v Manchester United, Monday 17 Oct, KO 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby parchpea » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Not keen on the kick off time but for the first time in a very long time Im actually looking forward to playing them and
they have the international break to think about coming here, not with much relish Im sure.

Not the Liverpool way to get ahead of ourselves, but for once why the hell not, we have the game to run United ragged, pulled apart and dissected all over Anfield.

Im expecting a win and a convincing one at that  :nod
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:40 pm

While I'm looking forward to this, i think it'll be a draw. Hope I'm wrong though  :nod  :nod

That said, it's the next THREE games after this (West Brom, Palace and Watford) that worry me more. These are the type of games that we fall flat on our face on. Hopefully the Swansea win is a sign that things have changed and we can indeed grind out a result.

We win our next 4 and I might even dare dream of better things than a top 4 finish this year
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:45 pm

With it being a night game the atmosphere is bound to be better which should help us.
Mourinho is a cagey customer though and an expert in turning games into boring non-events so we will have to work hard to break them down.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:37 pm

I am absolutely looking forward to this one. I prefer the day and timing aswel because it suits me perfectly.

Anyhow on the game.. We always tend to play well against united but what gets be is how many times we end up losing by a goal.
This will be tough, if we are to win we need a couple of quick goals before half time.
I can't see united scoring more than 1 goal.
Im confident we will win which will show the rest of the league we will challenge this term.

As for the line up.
I would keep it the way things are.
Firmino up top studge on bench.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:39 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:45 pm wrote:With it being a night game the atmosphere is bound to be better which should help us.
Mourinho is a cagey customer though and an expert in turning games into boring non-events so we will have to work hard to break them down.

Yup knowing Boriniho he may just play ultra defensive and catch us on a counter. Like they did in 13/14. I still remember how the ***** celebrated. Bitter plonker.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Doeboy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:26 am

Just know Mourinho will come looking for a point and park the bus and best case scenario Ibrahimovic can nick him a win with a piece of magic. Think we need an early goal in this one. Get that early goal, force them to come out and chase the game and I think we will beat them relatively easily with the form we are in. The longer the game goes without a goal, thats where I'd worry Utd pinch a goal from a set piece or something.
Doeboy

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:30 am

I think the key for us is to keep the tempo high, stats show that United don't particularly like to run so it's imperative that we press and counter press the legs off them. The crowd need to get involved too, cheering every throw in, corner, tackle, interception and blocked shot will help crank the pressure up on United.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:12 pm

Yup the fans will be the 12th man. I'm sure we will attack them with all sorts of missiles however one block we must overcome is De gea. I hope he has a poor game.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:25 pm

What is your most memorable game vs the mancs?

I have a few I've enjoyed but top of the list has to be when we beat them 4-1 at old Trafford. I thought we were going to win the title that season.

Other memorable mentions

Last season at home Europa 2-0

13/14- 3-0 at old Trafford

2-0 League cup final. Result was perfect but performance was quite poor.

In 2001 1-0 at old Trafford, Murphy with FK.
Reason why i enjoyed this one is because we failed to beat mancs for almost 4 years and finally got a win against them which led to 4 more straight victories.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:43 pm

My memory as a boy was listening to the radio in the Milk Cup Final where we equalised late on then won in extra time with a Ronnie Whelan curler past Gary Bailey.

Mostly they are bad memories though as even with our best teams United have had the upper hand on us unfortunately.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:19 pm

redshade » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:25 pm wrote:What is your most memorable game vs the mancs?

I have a few I've enjoyed but top of the list has to be when we beat them 4-1 at old Trafford. I thought we were going to win the title that season.

Other memorable mentions

Last season at home Europa 2-0

13/14- 3-0 at old Trafford

2-0 League cup final. Result was perfect but performance was quite poor.

In 2001 1-0 at old Trafford, Murphy with FK.
Reason why i enjoyed this one is because we failed to beat mancs for almost 4 years and finally got a win against them which led to 4 more straight victories.

September 2008. Liverpool 2 United 1. Tevez scored early in the first half, Berbatov's debut. Babel got the winner and yes, Vidic was sent off. Beautiful September day, was in the Kop, 306, few pints in the Stanley after then walked into town, place was buzzin' with the win, it just doesn't get any better!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:37 pm

Oh yes i remember that match. When Babel scored the winner i was over the moon.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Reg » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:06 am

Man Utd 1 Liverpool 4, 2008/09.

What a game, 1 nil down then Stevie and Torres showed them how to do it.  Vidic walked, naturally...

Look it up on youtube.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:30 am

Ha and even Dossena got on the scoresheet that day.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 11:37 am

The 3-0 win at Old Trafford in the 13/14 season, we absolutely murdered them on their own patch from start to finish and it really should of been a cricket score, we got 3 penalties awarded at OT as well which will never wont again in a million years, it was the one time we played them in my lifetime that we were miles better than them and they couldn't do a dam thing about it, just beautiful.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games