LIVERPOOL VS NEWCASTLE UNITED - 30th december 2011, 19:45gmt

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Greavesie » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:20 am

some of the stick the lads were getting at 1:0 down is pretty funny :D maybe some should have a little more faith in the boys in future

There's a few things to take from last nights game

1. you don't have to play well to win - last night was one of our more insipid displays of the season but we scored more goals than usual. At least it shows we don't have to play pretty' football' in order to win

2. Adam and Hendo provide some selection headaches - with Lucas out this Adam and Hendo thing hasn't really worked imo but I have to say Gerrard made Hendo look a bit better, maybe he had that effect on everyone but I noticed it particularly with Henderson. With Gerrard back maybe we'll start choosing one of the two, or maybe last night was a one off.

3. Carroll is a growing concern but again he looked a lot more lively with Gerrard roaming the park. Perhaps he can bring the best out of him or we need to dip into the transfer market to find more players like Gerrard (if indeed they do exist)

4. Bellamy has been an absolute relevation - who's have thought that after the first time, looks like he'd run through brick walls for our Kenny. Great piece of business

5. money doesn't necessarily buy quality - Enrique and Bellamy have been an absolute snip for what they've cost between them

6. Squad depth - the team last night didn't play great but it was fantastic to be able to look at the bench and see names like Gerrard and Maxi who can come in and genuinely make an impact on the game.

Overall I'm chuffed. Hopefully Chelsea and Arsenal or at least one stutter and then things are looking a lot better. We generally pick up after Christmas whereas Arsenal flutter. Let's hope that continues leaving us with a battle with Chelsea and Spuds (though Harry's men look far gone :( )
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby devaney » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:57 am

dundreamin wrote:Great performance especially by bellamy, and the legend that is stevie-g, Carroll's still sh.ite though

Give Carroll a break mate!The lad got himself into some excellent positions and when he eventually got some service he was very unlucky not to score.I have suggested that his presence in the team has a negative effect.I still think to a minor extent that is possibly the case but last night there were several players that were worthy of some heavyweight criticism before Andy.

The midfield and team selection last night nearly lost us the game. Henderson only livened up when Gerrard came on and his ball to Gerrard for his goal was impressive but it was about the only thing he did in the match.Just cannot understand why he starts so many matches especially on the wing.Adam in the main was very poor.Downing was utterly useless.Spearing was fkg dangerous and lucky not to be sent off.Why Kuyt and Maxi didn't start is beyond me.If it hadn't been for Gerrard we probably would have lost. Skrtel's goal line clearance was amazing and another great performance alongside Danny.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:14 am

devaney wrote:The midfield and team selection last night nearly lost us the game. Henderson only livened up when Gerrard came on and his ball to Gerrard for his goal was impressive but it was about the only thing he did in the match.Just cannot understand why he starts so many matches especially on the wing.Adam in the main was very poor.Downing was utterly useless.Spearing was fkg dangerous and lucky not to be sent off.Why Kuyt and Maxi didn't start is beyond me.If it hadn't been for Gerrard we probably would have lost. Skrtel's goal line clearance was amazing and another great performance alongside Danny.

Seems a pretty harsh assessment of a performance where we scored 3 goals at home for the 1st time in ages and came from a goal behind to win from goal behind in the league for the 1st time in donkeys. It's all very well micro analysing the game but it must surely be in context of the overall result? The lads created less chances than we've seen in many of the home draws this season and yet we got 3 goals but they've been a long time coming. Adam did look tired last night (he needs a couple og games rest for me) and Carroll also had a bit of a stinker but the rest did ok. Newcastle are in 7th place but apart from a slightly lucky goal and the one Skrtel cleared off the line they did absolutely nothing all game. Apart frm a 10 minute patch prior to our 2nd goal I thought we bossed the game. and as for Kuyt, i'd also have had him in my starting 11 but let's not forget he hasn't scored a goal all season and he has not justified being a week in week out selection based on his form.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:24 am

i love Bellamy
maypaxvobiscum

Postby parchpea » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:33 am

Newcastle where terrible and we where very unlucky to go behind with that rag of a goal. We kept chipping away but like most weeks just lacked that final touch or spark that Gerrard brought to the game.

I felt Bellamy should have ben awarded man of the match and Skrtel was terrific in the moment Ba chipped in on goal.

Our competitors for 4th will no doubt be investing heavily in January to try and secure the final spot and we need to do the same. If we can find a couple that can turn games, flair players with an eye for goal, we have set ourselves up for a good crack at it.

Its great Gerrards back but we need other options so I feel investment in that bit of quality is essential particularly with the Suarez ban and our captains injury record.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:38 am

devaney wrote:Spearing was fkg dangerous and lucky not to be sent off..

I thought he was boss myself, still obviously pretty raw but I liked the way he got stuck in
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:47 pm

eds wrote:
KennyisGod....still wrote:gotta agree we saw a difrent Carroll 2nd half with Gerrard on the pitch, tho that first touch on the one ball in was fkn awful... its a sign of promise, hopefully one to be realised sooner rather than later. Desperately unlucky to hit the bar, just shows what a little confidence in gettin a good delivery can do. Was encouraged to see him barkin at Jose too, not summat he'd have done a few games back without that little bit of SG magic delivery potion workin. Could be the biggest 'transfer' this january is the return of the captain to both steady the ship and send it forward - and if Carroll can play a part in that then i'm happy to rasie a glass or two their way

Caroll has one decent opportunity the whole game and smashes the woodwork. All of a sudden the months and months of him being woefully s**t disappear in a flash. Poof!

"He might be a good player afterall"?

"He has promise, give a few more chances"

Seriously I don't understand why five seconds changes your perspective on a player. Is it because you guys are locals and aren't seeing his flaws, which are clear as day? I want him to do well because he plays for Liverpool but this can't mask the fact that he has been f**king terrible up till now :no  :no

wind your neck in fella, i dont see anyone here praisin Carroll to the hilt and supportin his every move, i was merely acknowledgin a FACT that he looked more dangerous with Gerrard on the pitch supplyin decent balls in. He WAS desperately unlucky to hit the bar and you cant argue with that, however he had the touch of a rabid elephant on another ball through (which if you care to look i passed comment on earlier). The constant criticism smacks of the fact that we can no longer bash Lucas cuz he's playin well, Kuyt cuz he aint playin so often and that somehow Carroll transpired to arrange a ridiculous transfer fee we were forced to pay with our arms twisted behind our backs. Get with the reality that he's here, he aint bein moved on just yet without some huge fee comin our way and support the team and players you seem happy to strike out at.
We're playin fotball that this time last season we could only dream of, we've just got our captain back and he could prove the biggest January happenin at Anfield in years (aside from Kenny comin home) and things are only dark if your eyes are shut.

talk about glasses half empty.........  :angry:
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby KennyisGod....still » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:49 pm

laza wrote:
devaney wrote:Spearing was fkg dangerous and lucky not to be sent off..

I thought he was boss myself, still obviously pretty raw but I liked the way he got stuck in

the only luck i saw Spearin get was that he never got his leg busted!! aint sayin he was a MOTM contender but he was solid and did all he had to do.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games