Man City v Liverpool 26th December 17.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby metalhead » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:32 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:25 pm wrote:Also to those who think Gerrard is not needed, I challenge you to say we would not have been better with Gerrard today. Our midfield played admirably but Gerrard's influence on big games was lacking.

Additionally, with Sturridge fit we would have been making him as a sub instead of Aspas. Go figure.

I agree, Gerrard's creativity would have done some wonders
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:34 pm

We missed Gerrard and Sturridge today, no doubt about it.

Gutting to not get at least a point, but that's football.  Am sure BR will turn it around for the Chelsea game.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Boocity » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:32 pm wrote:After that against city I don't think we should be scared of Chelsea

I was thinking the same but Ethan has a point. The players must be hurt mentally and it will be hard to recover so quickly after this. Brendan is a good motivator though so I hope he can do something about that and the players act like this never happened.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:39 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:25 pm wrote:Also to those who think Gerrard is not needed, I challenge you to say we would not have been better with Gerrard today. Our midfield played admirably but Gerrard's influence on big games was lacking.

Additionally, with Sturridge fit we would have been making him as a sub instead of Aspas. Go figure.

with gerrard in there they would have passed through us even more than they did, at times even allen and hendo were chasing shadows so gerrard would have been like a statue, the one change to our midfield i`d make is replace lucas with that fernando from porto.
lucas is too one paced these days to be a dominant DM as is johnson as well btw, he`s deffo lost a yard of pace himself.
overall though it was a good performance at probably the hardest ground to go to in england, it just grates that we continually seem to gift city goals, if reina isnt diving over long range speculative efforts or running to the corner flag and if skrtel isnt gifting them goals with last minute backpasses mingolet is palming half hit efforts into his own net.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:40 pm

disapointed not to have gotten at least a point from that, only for some poor finishing we could have.
not the end of the world for us but we could see ourselves outside the top 4 unless we get something at chelsea.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:41 pm

damjan193 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:36 pm wrote:
Boocity » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:32 pm wrote:After that against city I don't think we should be scared of Chelsea

I was thinking the same but Ethan has a point. The players must be hurt mentally and it will be hard to recover so quickly after this. Brendan is a good motivator though so I hope he can do something about that and the players act like this never happened.

If you look at our reactions to previous defeats, this will only spur us on
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:42 pm

I was just wondering, is Lee Mason's criteria based on how loud the crowd is?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:42 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:39 pm wrote:

with gerrard in there they would have passed through us even more than they did, at times even allen and hendo were chasing shadows so gerrard would have been like a statue, the one change to our midfield i`d make is replace lucas with that fernando from porto.
lucas is too one paced these days to be a dominant DM as is johnson as well btw, he`s deffo lost a yard of pace himself.
overall though it was a good performance at probably the hardest ground to go to in england, it just grates that we continually seem to gift city goals, if reina isnt diving over long range speculative efforts or running to the corner flag and if skrtel isnt gifting them goals with last minute backpasses mingolet is palming half hit efforts into his own net.

Although I think Gerrard would have improved us today, Sturridge was the one we really missed.

He'd have netted Stirling's chance in the second half and also generated a few more.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:48 pm

One goal ruled offside that even a linesman with a dog and a white stick would've known was on.

Blatant penalty decision against Suarez ruled out  :angry:

Starting to feel that decision wise Man City are the new Man U with officials Sh*t scared to award important decisions against them.

Great performance from the team badly let down by Mignolet , shot stopper some may claim him to be  :laugh:  but no way is he anywhere near being a top shelf keeper   :veryangry

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby maguskwt » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:50 pm

Well what can i say... football can be cruel...

2 missed chances, an offside which was not and a howler by Mignolet... these things happen... we deserved to get at  least a point...

from the bright side, we went toe to toe against the team who has the best squad in the league in an away game... now the key is not to lose our form and bounce back against chelsea...

Agreed that we probably needed Gerrard in there... Coutinho shouldn't have been taken out... after the subs we lost our momentum... Moses and Aspas didn't do much. And I don't know why Toure didn't play...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Santa » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:50 pm

To think that most here have written off these 3 points before the start of our 4-games holidays matches, and here we are generally feeling disappointed we didn't win today's game just goes to show we are definitely performing at a much higher level compared to this time last season. I'm going away feeling good after this game and we can definitely nick all 3 points from Chelsea's game next. Walk tall...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:02 pm

Santa » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:50 pm wrote:To think that most here have written off these 3 points before the start of our 4-games holidays matches, and here we are generally feeling disappointed we didn't win today's game just goes to show we are definitely performing at a much higher level compared to this time last season.

It's some small comfort, but indeed shows how far we've come.  At the final whistle the Man City fans celebrated like they won the FA Cup.
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:07 pm

i thought sterling was probably our MoM, yes it was a terrible miss but his movement and his clever runs in behind gave experienced defenders like kompany and lescott (not to mention the linesman) real problems. he only turned 19 this month as well, takes some doing having that much influence over a big game like that at that age.
he may yet turn into that star many tipped him to be, he looks like he`s going to score practically every time he takes to the field to me, and for a wide player thats some asset to have in your game. he doesnt hug the touchline like most wingers he makes runs into area`s that hurt teams.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:24 pm

I think someone from the club have forgotten to contribute to the referee's welfare funds again this month...what a shocking decisions we've got all day from that stupid ref

Time for Agger to come in for next game...I don't care if Sahko or Sketel made way, both committed too many errors in their game and don't exactly "lift" the other's game with steady influence.

And if Cissoko starts our next game, I think the club should give full refund to the supporter...it's just unfair to shortchange the fans with a lemon like him  :no
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:32 pm

Santa » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:24 pm wrote:I think someone from the club have forgotten to contribute to the referee's welfare funds again this month...what a shocking decisions we've got all day from that stupid ref

Time for Agger to come in for next game...I don't care if Sahko or Sketel made way, both committed too many errors in their game and don't exactly "lift" the other's game with steady influence.

And if Cissoko starts our next game, I think the club should give full refund to the supporter...it's just unfair to shortchange the fans with a lemon like him  :no

to be fair we could be easily conceding 12 pens a game the way skrtel carrys on at corners, i cant believe he was still doing the same thing even though his antics were highlighted by commentators during the cardiff match. disaster waiting to happen.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games