BIRMINGHAM CITY VS LIVERPOOL - Sun 4 april - ko: 15.00

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Greavesie wrote:I'm sure I heard on SSN that Torres had a bag of ice on his knee Ben - so it may not be a ridiculous as it sounds to bring him off

He did mate, but Rafa has said that Torres was brought off because he was tired..... NOT injured.
account deleted by request

Postby Greavesie » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:13 pm

s@int wrote:
Greavesie wrote:I'm sure I heard on SSN that Torres had a bag of ice on his knee Ben - so it may not be a ridiculous as it sounds to bring him off

He did mate, but Rafa has said that Torres was brought off because he was tired..... NOT injured.

ah ok, clears that up then  :D
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:15 pm

Pathetic.

We dont deserve CL football.

These players take the pi$$ out of loyal fans.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:20 pm

It's true to say in isolation it isn't a bad result given that few other teams have gone to Birmingham and won. To pretend it's a decent result in the overall scheme of things though is silly, we really needed to win the match so we might as well have gone all out for the result. If it's 0-0 with ten minutes left against Benfica in the second leg, there's no point in taking off Torres and then afterwards saying it was a decent draw.

We probably aren't quite there yet, but we are rapidly approaching the stage where we might as well lose the match as draw it, as drawing in the league is no longer any good to us. It really does ask the question just how serious does the situation have to be before we really go for it? The cynic in me says that winning the European Copa Cup will look better on some peoples CV's than managing to get his team into fourth in the league will. I simply cannot see any other explanation for "resting" players in this match.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:20 pm

Ben Patrick wrote:I havent read the aftermath of this thread so apologies emeralnd if i am misinterpreting your point.
But are you happy enough that Rafa did all he good to maximise our chances of taking the 3 points ?
Taking Torres is off is always something that will weaken the side, but when his replacement is Ngog then its a ridiculous substitution that severley weakened our attack.
Yes we created alot more when he went off but it was still a silly substitution whatever way you look at it.

I actually agree about the point not being a bad one in usual terms, but its not a good one when you need 3.
Go for the jugular, keep your best players on the pitch in their best positions and i guarantee we would have more of a chance of winning away matches.
Not really rocket science to me.

My point is, is it really a surprise that we drew? The taking off of Torres was always going to be blown out of proportion as it always does. Nothing changes. Very rarely do I come on this forum whenever such an event transpires and read anything remotely with perspective and sense. I'd a quick squint at the match thread over on RAWK and the balance between posts compared to here is shockingly different as far as getting varying veiws and opinions go. In fact, it's gotten so bad on here and downright negative, that I'm considering closing my account off of here.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:52 pm

I cannot understand anyone justifying the Torres substitution today.  Blo.ody appalling decision to take off our best striker by a mile--who's in fine form BTW--for a lad that was always going to get dog's abuse every second he touched the ball (and who is, charitably, nowhere near in form).  The look on Torres' and Gerrard's faces said it all.  What a signal of intent by the gaffer.  Top fu.cking drawer. :angry:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby stmichael » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:53 pm

Really frustrated today after that. If only we'd shown the same urgency in the first half as we did in the second. We created chances at will in the second half but the finishing was sadly lacking. That has nothing to do with the manager.

Even though I didn't agree with the substitution of Torres we actually looked a lot more dangerous after Ngog came on.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:00 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
Ben Patrick wrote:I havent read the aftermath of this thread so apologies emeralnd if i am misinterpreting your point.
But are you happy enough that Rafa did all he good to maximise our chances of taking the 3 points ?
Taking Torres is off is always something that will weaken the side, but when his replacement is Ngog then its a ridiculous substitution that severley weakened our attack.
Yes we created alot more when he went off but it was still a silly substitution whatever way you look at it.

I actually agree about the point not being a bad one in usual terms, but its not a good one when you need 3.
Go for the jugular, keep your best players on the pitch in their best positions and i guarantee we would have more of a chance of winning away matches.
Not really rocket science to me.

My point is, is it really a surprise that we drew? The taking off of Torres was always going to be blown out of proportion as it always does. Nothing changes. Very rarely do I come on this forum whenever such an event transpires and read anything remotely with perspective and sense. I'd a quick squint at the match thread over on RAWK and the balance between posts compared to here is shockingly different as far as getting varying veiws and opinions go. In fact, it's gotten so bad on here and downright negative, that I'm considering closing my account off of here.

I disagree.

How is it blown out of proportion ?
The substitution was ridiculous, the lad was shaking his head and the skipper was scratching his.
Its as if Rafa just give it up, and he has a history of doing that.
Remember Reading away the other year.
If people on RAWK defend sh!t like that then i am happy they are not posters on here.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:09 pm

Yeah I agree with that and what BigMick said. If he wanted to get Ngog on the pitch he could always have taken Kuyt off instead, or taken the radical step of taking a defender off (if there's any time to do it, that was it). It seems that while most of us were thinking "holy f'uck, if we don't score in the next half-hour, that's it, finito", Rafa was thinking something altogether quite different.
LFC2007

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:16 pm

LFC2007 wrote:Yeah I agree with that and what BigMick said. If he wanted to get Ngog on the pitch he could always have taken Kuyt off, or taken the radical step of taking a defender off (if there's any time to do it, that was it). It seems that while most of us were thinking "holy f'uck, if we don't score in the next half-hour, that's it, finito", Rafa was thinking something altogether quite different.

Genuinely i am baffled by him.

If you wanted to make sure we dont get fourth you would do exactly what Rafa did.

I am not saying he doesnt want fourth before people think i am stupid, just that what he did is what city spurs and villa would have been made up with.

It wouldnt have been so bad had the replacement been someone of a similar level. But Torres for Ngog  ???
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:18 pm

Just got back in an im still fu.cking chocker. Yes it was gonna be a hard ground to het three points from but these were there for the taking, No defence of Rafa from me , terrible decicion in my eyes and a few of them around me, yes there were a few boos when we realised he was coming off ,but it settled down abit when we started to play a bit better, My dissapointment was at the beginning when the team sheet came out , ive slate Babel loads in the past but i thought he should have started today instead of Yossie, Cannot understand Rafas decision to bring Torres off and im still baffelled ,sick of talking about it tbh all the way home , Meself i would of dragged Kuyt off he was woeful.
An word in the ground was Mascherano didnt figure because he was injured an Agger took a knock yesterday. Nothin else to say really just p.issed off with the lot of it and i wish it was May.
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedSi35 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:19 pm

Was a poor performance but we could have won it easily. Lots of chances not put away.

I think Rafa today alienated Gerrard and Torres even more so. Ok so Torres wasnt having a great game, but you dont substitue one of the best strikers in the world just because he wasnt having one of his best days. The reason he is so highly rated is because in that split second he may just do something special to win us the game............

To keep on defenders of defensive midfielders ( or even uneffective wingers ) is a managerial travesty IMO. Yay lets win the europa cup, it wont, matter about CL next season Rafa thinks............i wont be here anyway, but if i win a cup it will look good on my CV.

Whats the current betting on Martin O'Neill being here next season?
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:25 pm

TODAYS LIVERPOOL PLAYERS  - WATCH AND LISTEN TO THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USkAmJ_N4m0
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby J*o*n*D*o*e » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:29 pm

Reg wrote:TODAYS LIVERPOOL PLAYERS  - WATCH AND LISTEN TO THIS

love listening to Bill, if only we had him and others like him running the game now.
ImageImage
J*o*n*D*o*e

Postby RedSi35 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:49 pm

J*o*n*D*o*e wrote:
Reg wrote:TODAYS LIVERPOOL PLAYERS  - WATCH AND LISTEN TO THIS

love listening to Bill, if only we had him and others like him running the game now.

Fergie probably comes closest these days.

The history ( players, cups, managers ) of LFC should be strewn about the home/away dressing rooms ( excuse my ignorance if it already is )for the current players to respect and fear.
RedSi35
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games