The race to stay in the race - Has begun.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:43 pm

john craig wrote:
s@int wrote:Good post John, the only thing I am having great difficulty with is dismissing the chances we had to have a good cushion by now. I just hope the players have better luck handling it than I have. I know whats gone is gone and can't be undone, but I keep looking back and thinking 4 points from 5 games against the bottom 3 clubs, instead of looking at the more positive 7 points from 3 games against the other top four sides.

On the bright side the league is still in our hands to win....... just.

I know what you mean mate, and I'm not dismissing those games.  They were poor results.  But it'll kill you thinking about it.  The only way the players can move on is to forget about those games, we need to do the same.

What if Alonso's shot wasn't deflected at Stamford bridge?  What if Babel hadn't scuffed his shot into the ground against United so it looped over the defender's head?  What if our goal against Stoke at Anfield rightfully stood?  Let's face it, despite not getting the luck in front of goal in certain games, we have had our fair share of luck too this season.  Luck should even itself out over a season.  None of that matters now though and if I was offered this position at the start of the season I'd have taken it.

So would I mate. Btw it should be 5 points from 4 games against the bottom 3..... I got it the wrong way round ..... so we have gained a point already  :D
account deleted by request

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:44 pm

s@int wrote:
john craig wrote:
s@int wrote:Good post John, the only thing I am having great difficulty with is dismissing the chances we had to have a good cushion by now. I just hope the players have better luck handling it than I have. I know whats gone is gone and can't be undone, but I keep looking back and thinking 4 points from 5 games against the bottom 3 clubs, instead of looking at the more positive 7 points from 3 games against the other top four sides.

On the bright side the league is still in our hands to win....... just.

I know what you mean mate, and I'm not dismissing those games.  They were poor results.  But it'll kill you thinking about it.  The only way the players can move on is to forget about those games, we need to do the same.

What if Alonso's shot wasn't deflected at Stamford bridge?  What if Babel hadn't scuffed his shot into the ground against United so it looped over the defender's head?  What if our goal against Stoke at Anfield rightfully stood?  Let's face it, despite not getting the luck in front of goal in certain games, we have had our fair share of luck too this season.  Luck should even itself out over a season.  None of that matters now though and if I was offered this position at the start of the season I'd have taken it.

So would I mate. Btw it should be 5 points from 4 games against the bottom 3..... I got it the wrong way round ..... so we have gained a point already  :D

:laugh:

Could make all the difference!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:07 pm

tonyeh wrote:If Liverpool lose to Everton tomorrow night and it's certainly a possibility, then they can say goodbye to the title, because Utd WILL NOT lose to WBA or Sunderland and they'll extend their distance and I also think there is the possibility of Liverpool drawing to Wigan in the game after next and losing to Chelsea after that.

Tomorrow night's derby, for me anyway, is the point where we either stay in the race or fück it away. Although, I fear that Benitez's idiotic and foolish nonsense last week has already doomed Liverpool's chances.

On a side note, I certainly wouldn't write off Chelsea just yet. They've had a blip, but they are a strong outfit, albeit with some internal problems.

what an absoulute wankstain!

Id love to set you on fire!¬!!really
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:10 pm

Number 9 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:If Liverpool lose to Everton tomorrow night and it's certainly a possibility, then they can say goodbye to the title, because Utd WILL NOT lose to WBA or Sunderland and they'll extend their distance and I also think there is the possibility of Liverpool drawing to Wigan in the game after next and losing to Chelsea after that.

Tomorrow night's derby, for me anyway, is the point where we either stay in the race or fück it away. Although, I fear that Benitez's idiotic and foolish nonsense last week has already doomed Liverpool's chances.

On a side note, I certainly wouldn't write off Chelsea just yet. They've had a blip, but they are a strong outfit, albeit with some internal problems.

Fu.ckin hell Barry mate!  Were you not just de-carded today!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:23 pm

john craig wrote:
Number 9 wrote:

Fu.ckin hell Barry mate!  Were you not just de-carded today!

no mate that was another player!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Madmax » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:29 pm

From now on its going to really get tough. If mannure up the tempo and im sure they will then we must aslo. As mick stated the next few games are very crucial. IMHO i think we would need to take atleast 19 points. I really cant see mannure dropping any. The more we drop the harder it will get. Its a big ask but if we want the title and want to be known as the champions that what it takes. Race starts from here, we must win tomorrow against the bitters. I hope torres scores and gets back to his goal hungry self. We need to unleash his potential if we ought to win.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redsince2001 » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:46 pm

yeah yeah .... just think how much of this looking ahead you guys would have done had manu drawn yesterday .

it's all about perspective guys ... lets keep it simple ... one game at a time.

it's football... nothings certain
:)
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:53 pm

Saying Chelsea is out of the title race is wrong me thinks. They are very unpredictable and they can have a good run of games without us knowing it.

I'm just worried that we will again drop silly points because of formation, tactics, etc... and let the Mancs get away. As Torres said in one of his interviews, getting a result at OT is vital to our chances, as well as getting both wins at anfield against Chelsea and Arsenal. Don't write Chelsea's chances at our turf, they still can get a result, hopefully not, but again they are very unpredictable.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:21 pm

metalhead wrote:Saying Chelsea is out of the title race is wrong me thinks. They are very unpredictable and they can have a good run of games without us knowing it.

I'm just worried that we will again drop silly points because of formation, tactics, etc... and let the Mancs get away. As Torres said in one of his interviews, getting a result at OT is vital to our chances, as well as getting both wins at anfield against Chelsea and Arsenal. Don't write Chelsea's chances at our turf, they still can get a result, hopefully not, but again they are very unpredictable.

I can see Chelsea possibly getting second place, but I honestly can't see them winning the title. If we slip up the mancs won't, and if the mancs slip up HOPEFULLY we won't. I can't see both of us slipping up enough to allow Chelsea through.

I think Chelsea will concentrate on the CL anyway. Abramovitch wants that more than the league, and if the rumours he is after selling Chelsea are true, this may be his last chance.

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:57 pm

We always said we would love to still be within a few points of the leaders come Jan and here we are. I just hope all this Rafa nonsense doesn't distract the players. We have some massive games coming up and need to stay focused.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:10 pm

I am happy enough to still be in the race but I don't accept this as a title challenge (sorry Mick) A title challenge is still being in the mix with 3 or 4 games to go, and to still be in with a reasonable chance of winning it. This to me so far is no more than a staging post on our way to the summit.

I think we are entering the home strait but the sprint for the line hasn't even started yet, lets see if we can maintain the pace when it does.

Postby bigmick » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:20 pm

s@int wrote:I am happy enough to still be in the race but I don't accept this as a title challenge (sorry Mick) A title challenge is still being in the mix with 3 or 4 games to go, and to still be in with a reasonable chance of winning it. This to me so far is no more than a staging post on our way to the summit.

I think we are entering the home strait but the sprint for the line hasn't even started yet, lets see if we can maintain the pace when it does.

It's a matter or parameters I guess mate but for me we were in the title race and mounting a genuine title challenge once we went to Stamford Bridge, played them off the park and ended their record. We announced ourselves at that point as a team who were capable of winning the league, and therefore by my definition we became contenders and challengers.

I've been asking for a title challenge for ages now, indeed I've been saying we were good enough to challenge for the last two seasons before this one, so I set out what I thought constituted a challenge some time back. It's a sustained and credible push for the title, and as far as I'm concerned we've already done that whatever happens from here on in.

There is though the possibility that if we have a bliiiiiiiiiiiip that we could again finish 10+ points off the top come the end of the season. If we do fall off the pace, I do worry about us getting ourselves up for a Champions League berth fight after thinking we were involved in the title race. That's one of the reasons that we have to dig in now IMHO.

Even if we do eventually come up a bit short, not only are we reinforcing our base camp for next season, but we are avoiding the embarassment of hoping that we can outlast Villa for fourth. Added to that of course is the chance that we actually win it, which still remains a very real possibility if we can get our act together**

** Cue the "get our act together FFS!!!! we are one point off the top, I don't fecking believe some people on here sometimes/Mick you're a c..."    :D
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:33 pm

bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:I am happy enough to still be in the race but I don't accept this as a title challenge (sorry Mick) A title challenge is still being in the mix with 3 or 4 games to go, and to still be in with a reasonable chance of winning it. This to me so far is no more than a staging post on our way to the summit.

It's a matter or parameters I guess mate but for me we were in the title race and mounting a genuine title challenge once we went to Stamford Bridge, played them off the park and ended their record. We announced ourselves at that point as a team who were capable of winning the league, and therefore by my definition we became contenders and challengers.

I've been asking for a title challenge for ages now, indeed I've been saying we were good enough to challenge for the last two seasons before this one, so I set out what I thought constituted a challenge some time back. It's a sustained and credible push for the title, and as far as I'm concerned we've already done that whatever happens from here on in.

There is though the possibility that if we have a bliiiiiiiiiiiip that we could again finish 10+ points off the top come the end of the season. If we do fall off the pace, I do worry about us getting ourselves up for a Champions League berth fight after thinking we were involved in the title race. That's one of the reasons that we have to dig in now IMHO.

Even if we do eventually come up a bit short, not only are we reinforcing our base camp for next season, but we are avoiding the embarassment of hoping that we can outlast Villa for fourth. Added to that of course is the chance that we actually win it, which still remains a very real possibility if we can get our act together**

** Cue the "get our act together FFS!!!! we are one point off the top, I don't fecking believe some people on here sometimes/Mick you're a c..."    :D

Look at Arsenal. Were they not 11 points clear after xmas? I think in beating Chelsea away we have shown to the rest we can beat hold our own against the top 4 again but as Saint says not until March time can we consider ourselves in with a real chance. It's too soon.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:39 pm

its going to be a weird one is this. i'm thinking more and more that we're going to miss out this year, and i don't know whether that is to protect myself or to be more realistic. so i'm wondering how we're going to feel if we finish a couple of points off in second or a few points off in third. a couple of points off in second might be impossible to bear because we all know that, despite all the discussions about luck and things evening themselves out, we missed out on at least 6 more points that we really should have got. a few points off in third may feel like we've slipped back to where we were for the last couple of seasons despite having a promising start.

so will staying very near the top until the end of the season represent a successful season for us? will it signal the real beginning of a new era and the establishing of the base camp that mick talks about?

i personally think we'll be left spending the summer thinking and agonising about what might have been. hopefully both the fans and players will be able focus more on what might be coming. and even more hopefully the manager will have an even clearer picture of the last few little tweaks he needs to make to bring the title back to anfield next season.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:03 pm

andy_g wrote:its going to be a weird one is this. i'm thinking more and more that we're going to miss out this year, and i don't know whether that is to protect myself or to be more realistic. so i'm wondering how we're going to feel if we finish a couple of points off in second or a few points off in third. a couple of points off in second might be impossible to bear because we all know that, despite all the discussions about luck and things evening themselves out, we missed out on at least 6 more points that we really should have got. a few points off in third may feel like we've slipped back to where we were for the last couple of seasons despite having a promising start.

so will staying very near the top until the end of the season represent a successful season for us? will it signal the real beginning of a new era and the establishing of the base camp that mick talks about?

i personally think we'll be left spending the summer thinking and agonising about what might have been. hopefully both the fans and players will be able focus more on what might be coming. and even more hopefully the manager will have an even clearer picture of the last few little tweaks he needs to make to bring the title back to anfield next season.

Good post Andy, my worst fear is finishing where we are now one point behind the mancs. While I think it would be a great achievement, I would drive myself crazy worrying about the what if's and if only's of the dropped points.

I think we have to win the league so we can forget all about any dropped points and just celebrate what we have achieved.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion