The race to stay in the race - Has begun.....

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:06 pm

To be fair to Mick and his opening post - which I mostly agree with - there's nothing being said here that I haven't been saying for ages already. I've left a few posts months ago where I stated that the season will only begin for us after January. The fight to "stay in it" has already been accomplished. Now we just have to go and actually win it, which we are perfectly capable of doing. A point is nothing.

Chelsea are not out of the league. It's ridiculous to say they are. They flew out of the blocks and were scoring for fun, and most people thought they were going to plss the league. We also flew out of the blocks, but with far less flamboyance and fluency of Chelsea, yet people were crying over how we should have been about 14 points clear at one stage. The table has caught up and is now reflected our form. Which is fair at this stage IMO.

Historically under Rafa, we usually kick into gear and start stringing runs together. Now, if this happens again this year, make no mistakes we will be lifting number 19 and I firmly believe that. The underdog suits us. The game at OT to come is the key to our league season. People slate Rafa for his policy of playing to not lose first and foremost, well, that policy have never been more apt for that game, because I believe we'll be going there for a draw and I'll say that much in advance. A win will be a bonus, and we can win. I believe that if we're top, or around a similar position to leapfrog them in the league by the time that games comes about, then we'll win the title.

It's in our own hands now. How many times can we have said that in the last 18 years or so. Feel happy about that. I know I am.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:17 pm

Emerald Red wrote:To be fair to Mick and his opening post - which I mostly agree with - there's nothing being said here that I haven't been saying for ages already. I've left a few posts months ago where I stated that the season will only begin for us after January. The fight to "stay in it" has already been accomplished. Now we just have to go and actually win it, which we are perfectly capable of doing. A point is nothing.

Chelsea are not out of the league. It's ridiculous to say they are. They flew out of the blocks and were scoring for fun, and most people thought they were going to plss the league. We also flew out of the blocks, but with far less flamboyance and fluency of Chelsea, yet people were crying over how we should have been about 14 points clear at one stage. The table has caught up and is now reflected our form. Which is fair at this stage IMO.

Historically under Rafa, we usually kick into gear and start stringing runs together. Now, if this happens again this year, make no mistakes we will be lifting number 19 and I firmly believe that. The underdog suits us. The game at OT to come is the key to our league season. People slate Rafa for his policy of playing to not lose first and foremost, well, that policy have never been more apt for that game, because I believe we'll be going there for a draw and I'll say that much in advance. A win will be a bonus, and we can win. I believe that if we're top, or around a similar position to leapfrog them in the league by the time that games comes about, then we'll win the title.

It's in our own hands now. How many times can we have said that in the last 18 years or so. Feel happy about that. I know I am.

But its ONLY in our own hands if we beat the mancs. Otherwise its theirs to lose mate. So maybe we should try to win that game?
account deleted by request

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:27 pm

s@int wrote:
metalhead wrote:Saying Chelsea is out of the title race is wrong me thinks. They are very unpredictable and they can have a good run of games without us knowing it.

I'm just worried that we will again drop silly points because of formation, tactics, etc... and let the Mancs get away. As Torres said in one of his interviews, getting a result at OT is vital to our chances, as well as getting both wins at anfield against Chelsea and Arsenal. Don't write Chelsea's chances at our turf, they still can get a result, hopefully not, but again they are very unpredictable.

I can see Chelsea possibly getting second place, but I honestly can't see them winning the title. If we slip up the mancs won't, and if the mancs slip up HOPEFULLY we won't. I can't see both of us slipping up enough to allow Chelsea through.

I think Chelsea will concentrate on the CL anyway. Abramovitch wants that more than the league, and if the rumours he is after selling Chelsea are true, this may be his last chance.

You never know... You never know
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:29 pm

Number 9 wrote:
tonyeh wrote:If Liverpool lose to Everton tomorrow night and it's certainly a possibility, then they can say goodbye to the title, because Utd WILL NOT lose to WBA or Sunderland and they'll extend their distance and I also think there is the possibility of Liverpool drawing to Wigan in the game after next and losing to Chelsea after that.

Tomorrow night's derby, for me anyway, is the point where we either stay in the race or fück it away. Although, I fear that Benitez's idiotic and foolish nonsense last week has already doomed Liverpool's chances.

On a side note, I certainly wouldn't write off Chelsea just yet. They've had a blip, but they are a strong outfit, albeit with some internal problems.

what an absoulute wankstain!

Id love to set you on fire!¬!!really

Not worth responding mate but I am with your sentiments entirely !!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:39 pm

metalhead wrote:
s@int wrote:
metalhead wrote:Saying Chelsea is out of the title race is wrong me thinks. They are very unpredictable and they can have a good run of games without us knowing it.

I'm just worried that we will again drop silly points because of formation, tactics, etc... and let the Mancs get away. As Torres said in one of his interviews, getting a result at OT is vital to our chances, as well as getting both wins at anfield against Chelsea and Arsenal. Don't write Chelsea's chances at our turf, they still can get a result, hopefully not, but again they are very unpredictable.

I can see Chelsea possibly getting second place, but I honestly can't see them winning the title. If we slip up the mancs won't, and if the mancs slip up HOPEFULLY we won't. I can't see both of us slipping up enough to allow Chelsea through.

I think Chelsea will concentrate on the CL anyway. Abramovitch wants that more than the league, and if the rumours he is after selling Chelsea are true, this may be his last chance.

You never know... You never know

Believe me mate I KNOW. When have I ever been wrong about anything........ even my wife admits that I am never wrong...... she seems to have a little problem shutting doors quietly just afterwards...... I will have to mention that to her.   :D

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:41 pm

:laugh:
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:46 pm

s@int wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:To be fair to Mick and his opening post - which I mostly agree with - there's nothing being said here that I haven't been saying for ages already. I've left a few posts months ago where I stated that the season will only begin for us after January. The fight to "stay in it" has already been accomplished. Now we just have to go and actually win it, which we are perfectly capable of doing. A point is nothing.

But its ONLY in our own hands if we beat the mancs. Otherwise its theirs to lose mate. So maybe we should try to win that game?

Depends on how you see things, really. Me personally, I can see them dropping points when people least expect them. It'll be down to us to take advantage of that. We've seen it a dozen times already this season.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:00 pm

Gawd - what a depressing thread !!!!!!!!  Really is impossible to predict and one thing is certain - THERE WILL BE MORE SHOCKS !!

Somebody said we shouldn't have dropped so many points to the bottom three - ffs the bottom three change every week!! If Spurs who are currently bottom had won today they would have gone up to twelfth which is an indication of how close the Premiership is and that there is more strength in depth, even if there is the slightest of question marks over the quality of the big four this year.

Mick you now suggest that United will win three of their next six games 3-0 and whilst I accept that they are on a cracking run - 8 wins and 2 draws out of their last 10 games - they have had more than their fair share of luck and the vast majority of games have been won by the odd very late goal! I am not going to call you all the cnts under the son because you are a well respected protected species and we need more like you but I do think your predictions on this occasion are wildly optimistic in favour of United and more than a tad depressing! WHERE'S THE WHISKY BOTTLE GONE? ???:)
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:15 pm

devaney wrote:Gawd - what a depressing thread !!!!!!!!  Really is impossible to predict and one thing is certain - THERE WILL BE MORE SHOCKS !!

Somebody said we shouldn't have dropped so many points to the bottom three - ffs the bottom three change every week!! If Spurs who are currently bottom had won today they would have gone up to twelfth which is an indication of how close the Premiership is and that there is more strength in depth, even if there is the slightest of question marks over the quality of the big four this year.

Mick you now suggest that United will win three of their next six games 3-0 and whilst I accept that they are on a cracking run - 8 wins and 2 draws out of their last 10 games - they have had more than their fair share of luck and the vast majority of games have been won by the odd very late goal! I am not going to call you all the cnts under the son because you are a well respected protected species and we need more like you but I do think your predictions on this occasion are wildly optimistic in favour of United and more than a tad depressing! WHERE'S THE WHISKY BOTTLE GONE? ???:)

Sunday, 18 January 2009

Optimists plan Monday 'cheer-up' 

Jeremy Paxman is one figure the society wants to cheer
An group of optimists will attempt to banish "Blue Monday" with free comedy and cheer packages for celebrities and others "in need of a lift".

The Optimists' Society say they want to reclaim the "most depressing day of the year" as International Optimism Day.

This year "Blue Monday" - a date in January regarded as the most depressing day of the year - falls on 19 January.

The society will send cheer packages to celebrities such as Jeremy Paxman, and will host a free comedy show in London.

This year's Blue Monday comes amid economic turmoil due to the credit crunch, with fears of continued economic gloom and job losses - which the society believes is all the more reason to adopt a positive attitude.   With positive action things will always get better

James Battison, founder of the "loose-knit social-action group" said: "As an optimist you get to bathe luxuriously in your own good-feeling, while also sparking some fun and laughter in others. It's a win-win way to live. I highly recommend it!

"The key to feeling positive lies in taking action and making other people smile. Remember, life could always be worse, but with positive action things will always get better."

Cheer packages are also being sent to Chancellor of the Exchequer Alistair Darling, Bigmick popular columist, Radio 4 presenter John Humphrys, famously straight-faced comedian Jack Dee and the cast of the BBC soap EastEnders.

in London, a free lunchtime comedy show will be held at the Comedy Store, featuring a motivational session from comedian Neil Mullarkey.

The Optimists Society describes itself as "a social-action group promoting positivity and helping people make a difference to themselves and others through simple actions".

bbc news

:D

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:20 pm

s@int wrote:

Thats also assuming we dont drop any other points for the rest of the season which although may be possible is unlikley.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sgs » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Its 19yrs since we won the title. On this thread, the lack of confidence and belief is self evident. You get the sense further that even if we won it, someone from here will say how others were weaker, and that they lost it rather than us win it.

When somebody catches up on you, its not necessarily because you are weaker. The top 4 is not weaker. The rest are simply stronger..
Floyd stepped left and threw the hook that caught Hatton flush under the chin. Finally, the British champ had arrived in that mythical place of which his fans speak: Hatton Wonderland.
sgs

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:50 pm

I am with the more optimistic fans at this present moment, which is sort of surprising myself as the last week or so couldnt really have gone much worse results wise, starting with the draw against Stoke to united nicking results in both there games in hand.
But this like John Craig has said might work in our favour, we have been under enormous pressure the last few months with even our own fans turning on the players when we went top of the league.
Maybe with everyone now jumping all on board the united have already won the league band wagon it will take the pressure off a bit, the focus in all the papers might come off us a bit.
We are one point off top which is a great first half of the season, we also have Torres returning, which if he can steer clear of injuries should be massive for us.
Our fixtures do look harder on paper, but we are also capable of going on a winning run, we have shown that in the past under Rafa.

What is vital is that we win this derby tomorrow though, that will show them that we are not buckling under the strain.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:55 pm

Just as an add on, can i say that for the last few months i have also been in agreement with the likes of bigmick and a few of the other concerned supporters.
A football supporter is always thinking about the what ifs etc, but what we sometimes end up doing is not enjoying it, am going into work tomorrow, our office is 50-50 blues and reds, cant wait for the banter - and will be reminding me blue mates that WHEN we win tomorrow we return to the top of the table.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:06 am

tonyeh wrote:If Liverpool lose to Everton tomorrow night and it's certainly a possibility, then they can say goodbye to the title, because Utd WILL NOT lose to WBA or Sunderland and they'll extend their distance and I also think there is the possibility of Liverpool drawing to Wigan in the game after next and losing to Chelsea after that.

Tomorrow night's derby, for me anyway, is the point where we either stay in the race or fück it away. Although, I fear that Benitez's idiotic and foolish nonsense last week has already doomed Liverpool's chances.

On a side note, I certainly wouldn't write off Chelsea just yet. They've had a blip, but they are a strong outfit, albeit with some internal problems.

can you tell me the lottery numbers for next sat please mate as you see to have a crystal ball that works . One thing this season is showing everyone is there is no guarentee win and 3 points no matter who you are playing .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:46 am

One or two people kind of missing the point of the thread but it's an interesting one anyway. Obviously nobody can accurately predict a string of results, but it's not being overly pessimistic to point out that over the next couple of months the Mancs have got easier games than we have. Obviously if we win all ours, it doesn't matter a feck but by the same token, we can't really afford to be giving too many points up to their lead.

FWIW I'd definately take us going to Old Trafford still one point behind, but that's going to be no mean feat. Obviously if we get there still within touching distance, a win for us would be hugely damaging for them. Despite not being a member of his fan club, if the pressure really is on I'd back Rafa to come up with a tactical masterplan for the one game which would give us a huge chance. This would have been even more the case if we could have gone there needing only a draw, but unfortunately that looks unlikely. Even if we go there needing a win I can see him putting something together, but if we are say seven points behind, the Mancs won't be under any real pressure and I'd fancy them to turn us over comfortably.

We absolutely MUST be within a point or two for the game to really matter, and if it really matters I'd give us a shout to get a result. The point of the thread though (if indeed any of them ever have a point) is simply to look at how difficult it is going to be to get there still within touching distance.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion