The bigger picture! - A bit more positivity please!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby roberto green » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:59 pm

It is quite funny how many fans fail to see the bigger picture,Ok I am always one to moan in the heat of the moment after another draw but when you sit back and really analyze how far we have come and not to mention the position we are in at the moment and it is really positive,  we would of been made up to be in this position when we started our season in August.

Ok the next 3-4 weeks could well make or break our season but who's not to say we have now had our bad patch of the season and we now step it up and with Torres getting more games under his belt and this could well happen,It's amazing what a good result can bring and then everyone is saying were unstoppable like when we beat Newcastle.

I do enjoy coming on  here with all the good debates BUT  of late the amount of people just slagging the team,the manager and other posters on here is just p!ssin me off.

Come on just have a bit more positivity on here and look at the bigger picture and stop slagging each other off and most of all support the team and manager!!

:)
roberto green

Postby tubby » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:04 pm

Is it any wonder the manager and team have come in for stick? We blew a great chance to get ahead of everyone else by a considerable margine. As if that wasn't bad enough we seem to have lost the will to win even against Everton. And to top it of we have a 20mil striker that doesn't play often. I will be happy if we at the very least go to Old Trafford level on points with them. :)
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby alanricouk » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:40 pm

Next 3-4 weeks? Try tomorrow and the weekend. We don't get all 6 points, its well and truly over.
alanricouk

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:02 am

exactly.. The negativity is because of our inability to take advantage of the other teams losses on points. There must have been atleast 5 instances when we had the chance to move clear yet we didnt. Problem for me is how many more chances do we need. Say if we do overtake mannure again and have another chancw to extend the lead, who could predict we will go clear??!  Thats the negative side...

On the positive yes we are in a great position and at the start of the league if we knew we would be only a few points off mannure in end of jan we would take it. just hope we will cope with this pressure and still be challenging come apri/may
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:32 am

In fairness I can understand people wanting a bit more positivity, I think we all do. There are always over-reactions, if anybody did think we were "unstoppable" after we beat Newcastle then that would be a classic example. Equally, you are absolutely right in that just about everyone would have taken the position we currently find ourselves in at the start of the season, and it is worth remembering that.

I don't think it's being overly negative though to point out that we are currently level on points with Aston Villa I think. Given that, although we're unquestionably near the top of the table it's hard to argue that we've made massive strides from last season. Hopefully in between now and the end of the campaign we can get going again and put some daylight in between us and them (and indeed the rest of the Premiership), and then everyone can be happy again.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:45 am

heres some positivity for you

Thers always next year.

???
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:56 am

lakes10 wrote:heres some positivity for you

Thers always next year.

???

:laugh:  Its hard to find an argument for that !

So i'll add a positive. Theres also this year. It isnt over yet. Theres still a long way to go and we are doing better on our travels lately than at home so old trafford should be an interesting one. They beat west brom 5-0. Big whoop, they havent faired too well against the better teams have they? Its not over yet. Starting with wigan, we are due some good form.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:11 am

bigmick wrote:In fairness I can understand people wanting a bit more positivity, I think we all do. There are always over-reactions, if anybody did think we were "unstoppable" after we beat Newcastle then that would be a classic example. Equally, you are absolutely right in that just about everyone would have taken the position we currently find ourselves in at the start of the season, and it is worth remembering that.

I don't think it's being overly negative though to point out that we are currently level on points with Aston Villa I think. Given that, although we're unquestionably near the top of the table it's hard to argue that we've made massive strides from last season. Hopefully in between now and the end of the campaign we can get going again and put some daylight in between us and them (and indeed the rest of the Premiership), and then everyone can be happy again.

Whilst this shows that the top teams have scored less points than in recent seasons at this stage of the competition we have so far improved this year in the league. This is our best points tally after 22 games for 18 years. It's crucial we get out of this downturn immediately and start winning again in these next 2 games otherwise United are going to be out of sight.

This season we have 47 points after 22 games - 3pts off the lead
2007/8 we had 40 points - 11pts off the lead
2006/7 we had 40 points - 13pts off the lead
2005/6 we had 45 points - 16pts off the lead
2004/5 we had 37 points - 18pts off the lead
2003/4 we had 33 points - 19pts off the lead

Our best starts for 22 games.

1.  1987/88  -  56 points  [finished 1st:  90 points from 40 games]
2.  1990/91  -  50 points  [finished 2nd:  76 points from 38 games]
3.  1982/83  -  47 points  [finished 1st:  82 points from 42 games]
3.  2008/09  -  47 points
5.  1983/84  -  45 points  [finished 1st:  80 points from 42 games]
5.  1985/86  -  45 points  [finished 1st:  88 points from 42 games]
5.  2005/06  -  45 points  [finished 3rd:  82 points from 38 games]

stats source: rawk
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:16 am

I don't think there's any dispute that we have got more points mate to be honest. The question is whether or not we are a better team and it's been done to death before so I won't rehash it now, except to say that Aston Villa's improvement has been absolutely meteoric. Amazing really.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:34 am

You have to agree though - that those numbers look more positive than we all feel right now. You just mentioned our points tally in your post above suggesting they weren't that remarkable given we're level with Villa. But at this stage of the season we have currently equaled our 3rd highest points tally in the league. I think that indicates progress and as you said it also shows Villa are having the season of their lives. Fair play to MON!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverforever » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:07 am

The answer for villas movement up words is Martin O'Neill great manager love's football  and love's a fight just hope rafa get's his fight back and the players notice because tomorrow night is the begining or the end it's there call now.
liverforever

Postby Madmax » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:46 am

fivecups wrote:You have to agree though - that those numbers look more positive than we all feel right now. You just mentioned our points tally in your post above suggesting they weren't that remarkable given we're level with Villa. But at this stage of the season we have currently equaled our 3rd highest points tally in the league. I think that indicates progress and as you said it also shows Villa are having the season of their lives. Fair play to MON!

Great stats mate made me feel better  :)  but the only way our season will be justified against those stats is if we play brill in this 2nd half of the season.
We need to go on a good run, need consistency. If we could match the form we had in the first half of the season and winning those 0-0 doomed games i would say we could be champions in may!
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:40 am

Yup. Being Positive is good but i was positive until Christmas and after that  Man U managed to overtake us. Frankly speaking , i can't see them losing points that easily,at least not as easy as seeing us losing points to smaller teams consistently. In the previous seasons, we're not a title challenger.. more of a 4th place/CL slot challenger and if we managed to get on top of the league at least for a while before dropping points etc, at that time we can be positive because it's a progress. But for now we are the title challenger (that's what we should be , we are Liverpool FC ) and hearing people said " at least we're at the top of the table, enjoy the moment..etc", that sounds like we're as ambitious as the bitters. Also we shouldnt blame other 'small' teams who play negative tactics. That's what they do as a small team. If we can't win, we only have ourselves to blame. Playing Kuyt consistently (i'm not slagging him or whatever) who's underperformed for more than God-knows how many games isn't helping either. We should have other options if option 1 failed. A winning team is a team who's not afraid of taking chances and i don't see that in this team. I'm sorry if i offended some of the posters here but i love this club and i just can't bare to watch  our best chance in 20 years to get back to where we belong  get wasted.
p.s : slag me if you want, that's the only opinion i have at the moment.
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:43 am

Not a benitez fan....but if u compare houllier's last days here...we are deffo in a much better position.

The question is do we want to use that as a standard everytime we look at the job benitez has done ?
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:32 am

fivecups wrote:
bigmick wrote:In fairness I can understand people wanting a bit more positivity, I think we all do. There are always over-reactions, if anybody did think we were "unstoppable" after we beat Newcastle then that would be a classic example. Equally, you are absolutely right in that just about everyone would have taken the position we currently find ourselves in at the start of the season, and it is worth remembering that.

Whilst this shows that the top teams have scored less points than in recent seasons at this stage of the competition we have so far improved this year in the league. This is our best points tally after 22 games for 18 years. It's crucial we get out of this downturn immediately and start winning again in these next 2 games otherwise United are going to be out of sight.

This season we have 47 points after 22 games - 3pts off the lead
2007/8 we had 40 points - 11pts off the lead
2006/7 we had 40 points - 13pts off the lead
2005/6 we had 45 points - 16pts off the lead
2004/5 we had 37 points - 18pts off the lead
2003/4 we had 33 points - 19pts off the lead

Our best starts for 22 games.

1.  1987/88  -  56 points  [finished 1st:  90 points from 40 games]
2.  1990/91  -  50 points  [finished 2nd:  76 points from 38 games]
3.  1982/83  -  47 points  [finished 1st:  82 points from 42 games]
3.  2008/09  -  47 points
5.  1983/84  -  45 points  [finished 1st:  80 points from 42 games]
5.  1985/86  -  45 points  [finished 1st:  88 points from 42 games]
5.  2005/06  -  45 points  [finished 3rd:  82 points from 38 games]

stats source: rawk

Football is different from most of those examples at 22 games, like it or not.

No team has won the league having finished fourth or below since 1991/92. It is only three points at the moment, but the mancs are in good form and we're drifting through a spell of too many draws.

I don't blame negativity for our situation, I blame all those planks that (predictably) started threads about being "top of the table" in their attempts to be "positive" and jinxed the team. The situation was somewhat false anyway as the mancs had two games in hand when seven points behind us, the next two games we play could gift wrap the title for Man Utd.

And how about instead of people shouting at fans on here to be positive, they aim their frustrations at the manager who is seemingly clueless when it comes to beating any team that "defends with 10 men behind the ball". That's football Rafa, it's what teams who aren't good enough to outplay the 'big four' do to stifle their opponent's play and hit them on the counter / with a sucker punch. Weakness from set pieces, what has he done to address that? Not an f in lot, still conceding goals from it and they're flushing two points a time down the lav.

Here's a statistic for you, people were going on about us coming from behind in games early in the season and how we stuck at it until the end. Well we haven't won a game 2-1 or 3-2 or any close margin not involving a clean sheet since 18th October. Maybe that is an omen because that was against WIGAN. 21 games later and the only two one goal margins we've played in were the 1-2 defeat at spudz and the 1-0 win over Marseille - we've drawn NINE of those 21 games since Wigan.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion