Bigger stadium

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFCNUTTER » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:16 am

Just heard on the radio that they may stop the stadium to build an 80,000 seater instead. I don,t know whats involved in this but we need a bigger stadium. Anyone heard this
LFCNUTTER

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:36 am

Bloody hell, that would be mega. Would we fill 80,000 seats every match though? I think we would get enough people to just about fill a 60,000 seater every match so maybe building a stadium of about 65-70k would be a good idea for those exeptional circumstances but to me 80k seems too much and could end up being counter productive in terms of atmosphere created.
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

Postby columbia » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:42 am

Yeh i heard on the radio this morning.

I think we would fill it every week. There are 56000 fans on the season ticket waiting list + current season ticket holders + they'd let kids in for cheaper.

The biggest problem will be travel. I dont think the stanley park site or the roads around it will be able to cope with 80 000 fans a week. We applied for 70 000 originally i remember and i think it was rejected for this reason.
columbia

Postby babu » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:50 am

I shouldn't really comment here, as i am not a regular match goer, but....

I have reservations about increasing the capacity to 80k. I really hope it doesn't happen. Rather see a long waiting list for season tickets than empty seats or boxes.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:51 am

Anfield rapper wrote:Bloody hell, that would be mega. Would we fill 80,000 seats every match though? I think we would get enough people to just about fill a 60,000 seater every match so maybe building a stadium of about 65-70k would be a good idea for those exeptional circumstances but to me 80k seems too much and could end up being counter productive in terms of atmosphere created.

i agree.

It can be a real struggle to get tickets for a lot of games now. especially high profile games and more especially if you only go once or twice a season. but thats with a capacity of 45'000.

Adding 15'000 - 20'000 extra seats will be more than enough in my opinion.

(Though saying that, utd's lowest attendance this season has been 75'115, and I know they picked up a lot of glory hunters in the nineties, they still attend week in-week out)

---
Our current attendance for this season:
Average  43,674     
Highest  44,403   
Lowest  41,370
---
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFCNUTTER » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:49 am

I think we would deffo sell out every week.
The council originaly knocked back the proposed 70k seater stadium because of the surrounding roads around stanley park , but with the extra money from tom and george , who knows what will happen. I hope they build this. Lets build the best stadium in Europe to go with the best team in Europe.
LFCNUTTER

Postby tommycockles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:04 pm

i think we'd fill it more often than not.

I used to be able to get tickets all the time (as my uncle worked at anfield) although lately i can't get any. Both me and my dad have fancards and frankly they don't mean sh.it as i still can't get any. If i knew i could get tickets i would defintiely get up there more and have many friends that would join me. (Good job i have loads of family there so we can all stay over a get bladdered).
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby tommycockles » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:08 pm

tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:43 pm

Anfield rapper wrote:Would we fill 80,000 seats every match though?

Certainly not for the midweek games against the 'lesser' clubs when even Anfield has been short of capacity in recent years.

In fact, we never sold out our first 2 group games on the Road to Istanbul, think it was only Olympiakos that attracted a sell out
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redmikey » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:48 pm

the infrastructure couldn't handle that amount of fans imo, it would be nice to get a season ticket after being on the list for five years but have you heard the arsenal fan moaning abut transport and leaving the game earlier and earlier

the trick would be to build more pubs so you could bet a bevvie and not be arsed about rushing home

and if they do build a bigger stadium it is a must that one end ( kop) is all season ticket fans or adults and passionate fans fans only as castle grey skull ,arsenal are full of spectators and not supporters
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby GLB1 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:51 pm

I think bigger would be better as long as they have plans in place to ensure that it is full for every game. I myself am overseas and think it would be a great idea if they used the extra capacity to create travel packages for international fans to be able to come watch our beloved team. With the international support Liverpool has fill an extra 20000 seats per game should be that hard. As long as they market it well the extra revenue created would be enormous. This of course would have to be balanced off against supporters locally wanting to get tickets. Maybe release the tickets 2 weeks earlier in the UK with international packages being released  after this buffer period.

Anyone know if I can get a job with Liverpool FC for Marketing ? hahahhaha
GLB1

Postby redmikey » Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:06 pm

GLB1 wrote:I think bigger would be better as long as they have plans in place to ensure that it is full for every game. I myself am overseas and think it would be a great idea if they used the extra capacity to create travel packages for international fans to be able to come watch our beloved team. With the international support Liverpool has fill an extra 20000 seats per game should be that hard. As long as they market it well the extra revenue created would be enormous. This of course would have to be balanced off against supporters locally wanting to get tickets. Maybe release the tickets 2 weeks earlier in the UK with international packages being released  after this buffer period.

Anyone know if I can get a job with Liverpool FC for Marketing ? hahahhaha

god shout mate and it would stop the touts fleecing you when you get to the match
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:05 pm

I mentioned the other day in a thread that I had heard rumours and to be honest I am made up. When I heard it was only going to be 61,000 I was a bit disapointed. We are a major club and its hard enough getting a ticket nowadays so 80,000 is sound by me.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:18 pm

I'm don't think we'd sell out 80,000 every game but there are ways the club can maximise attendances. The international (or even national) travel/ticket packages is a good idea. There can also be links made to youth/scout/school groups to get them along for reduced prices. Another way is to reduce the prices for the higher seats. As a career student, the pricing is a major factor that keeps me away. If the club were to provide £15 tickets for the uppertier seats I and many others would be encouraged to go.

Also, the club needs to sort out its ticket selling methods. Surely in this day and age its possible to provide more phone lines, internet purchases etc to make it quick and easy. Concerts sell tickets online in a straightforward way so why not Liverpool?
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:39 pm

I don't think we can just decide to up the capacity at this late stage. Planning permision would have to be applied for all over again, as it would need the approval of local residents.
Logistically, Anfield couldn't cope with 80,000 match goers. It is a nightmare getting into the area, getting parked and leaving the ground at the moment (and that's with less than 45,000 in attendance).
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion