The bigger picture! - A bit more positivity please!

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby teamleader1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:12 am

How many opposition supporters and pundits said that we have the squad at Anfield to win the title but that Rafa would fk it up with his brainstorms?
Sadly Im watching this happening as the season goes on   :(
teamleader1

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:28 am

teamleader1 wrote:How many opposition supporters and pundits said that we have the squad at Anfield to win the title but that Rafa would fk it up with his brainstorms?

Because they should know...

How are the beers coming along, baby?

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:29 am

Teamleader and adamkock between them maybe half a braincell.
We'll smash up Wigan tonight. Fact. We aren't on Setanta so of course we'll win.
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:43 am

Villa had two shots on goal last night and won I dont know how they did but they have been lucky, they where awful against Stoke but won.
And even though I hate the bitters there is noway Villa should have won that game either.

So yer they have a good team but have been really lucky getting them wins.

I said a few months ago we have to keep our eye on these and got laughed at.
Last edited by Ciggy on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby teamleader1 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:48 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
teamleader1 wrote:How many opposition supporters and pundits said that we have the squad at Anfield to win the title but that Rafa would fk it up with his brainstorms?

Because they should know...

How are the beers coming along, baby?

Get a fkn grip  :angry:
If you cant see that Rafa is throwing away results with his very fkn strange line ups, substitutions then your burying your head in the sand lad!

Havnte you sat in Anfield shaking your head at some of his decisions this season?
I know I and plenty of others have!
teamleader1

Postby benjy » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:26 pm

i was watching a reply of the arsenal vs wigan match recently and the commentator was saying that arsenal overcame a 10 point gap to win the championship over man u!
now, i dun quite remember which season exactly that was ... but that should surely give us hope. that the manure have indeed squandered such a gap before.
and our gap right now is even smaller ... 3 points off the lead.
we can do it!
we need to string together some good results and then beat man u at their home. and who knows... they may not recover from that.
anything's possible.
let's keep hoping!
benjy

Postby roberto green » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:39 pm

benjy wrote:i was watching a reply of the arsenal vs wigan match recently and the commentator was saying that arsenal overcame a 10 point gap to win the championship over man u!
now, i dun quite remember which season exactly that was ... but that should surely give us hope. that the manure have indeed squandered such a gap before.
and our gap right now is even smaller ... 3 points off the lead.
we can do it!
we need to string together some good results and then beat man u at their home. and who knows... they may not recover from that.
anything's possible.
let's keep hoping!

I know i set this topic up as "a bit more positivity please" but you have gone too far.

Your banned!!

:D  :D
roberto green

Postby fivecups » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:23 pm

Owzat wrote:
fivecups wrote:
bigmick wrote:In fairness I can understand people wanting a bit more positivity, I think we all do. There are always over-reactions, if anybody did think we were "unstoppable" after we beat Newcastle then that would be a classic example. Equally, you are absolutely right in that just about everyone would have taken the position we currently find ourselves in at the start of the season, and it is worth remembering that.

I don't think it's being overly negative though to point out that we are currently level on points with Aston Villa I think. Given that, although we're unquestionably near the top of the table it's hard to argue that we've made massive strides from last season. Hopefully in between now and the end of the campaign we can get going again and put some daylight in between us and them (and indeed the rest of the Premiership), and then everyone can be happy again.

Whilst this shows that the top teams have scored less points than in recent seasons at this stage of the competition we have so far improved this year in the league. This is our best points tally after 22 games for 18 years. It's crucial we get out of this downturn immediately and start winning again in these next 2 games otherwise United are going to be out of sight.

This season we have 47 points after 22 games - 3pts off the lead
2007/8 we had 40 points - 11pts off the lead
2006/7 we had 40 points - 13pts off the lead
2005/6 we had 45 points - 16pts off the lead
2004/5 we had 37 points - 18pts off the lead
2003/4 we had 33 points - 19pts off the lead

Our best starts for 22 games.

1.  1987/88  -  56 points  [finished 1st:  90 points from 40 games]
2.  1990/91  -  50 points  [finished 2nd:  76 points from 38 games]
3.  1982/83  -  47 points  [finished 1st:  82 points from 42 games]
3.  2008/09  -  47 points
5.  1983/84  -  45 points  [finished 1st:  80 points from 42 games]
5.  1985/86  -  45 points  [finished 1st:  88 points from 42 games]
5.  2005/06  -  45 points  [finished 3rd:  82 points from 38 games]

stats source: rawk

Football is different from most of those examples at 22 games, like it or not.

No team has won the league having finished fourth or below since 1991/92. It is only three points at the moment, but the mancs are in good form and we're drifting through a spell of too many draws.

I don't blame negativity for our situation, I blame all those planks that (predictably) started threads about being "top of the table" in their attempts to be "positive" and jinxed the team. The situation was somewhat false anyway as the mancs had two games in hand when seven points behind us, the next two games we play could gift wrap the title for Man Utd.

And how about instead of people shouting at fans on here to be positive, they aim their frustrations at the manager who is seemingly clueless when it comes to beating any team that "defends with 10 men behind the ball". That's football Rafa, it's what teams who aren't good enough to outplay the 'big four' do to stifle their opponent's play and hit them on the counter / with a sucker punch. Weakness from set pieces, what has he done to address that? Not an f in lot, still conceding goals from it and they're flushing two points a time down the lav.

Here's a statistic for you, people were going on about us coming from behind in games early in the season and how we stuck at it until the end. Well we haven't won a game 2-1 or 3-2 or any close margin not involving a clean sheet since 18th October. Maybe that is an omen because that was against WIGAN. 21 games later and the only two one goal margins we've played in were the 1-2 defeat at spudz and the 1-0 win over Marseille - we've drawn NINE of those 21 games since Wigan.

Owzat - as the undisputed resident Newkit stato I didn't realise you were so superstitious.  :D Jinxes and omens and the like.

I think the main thing those stats don't show is form. We are DDWWDD in our last 6 Premiership matches, United WWWWWW.

I suppose another thing it doesn't show is overall team/ squad quality. United demonstrated how good they are recently with top quality from keeper to striker despite multiple injuries. Their confidence is sky high and they have much more experience than we have in a title race. So we're odds on not to make it this year, but there's no way we're out of it yet. Things can swing quickly in football. A couple of scrappy wins, no more injuries, a bit of form and we could be back on track. If not we could be out of it very quickly.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:40 pm

Not had a chance to look at the league table until now.  FFS even Aston Villa have caught up and are now level on points with us.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby redbeergoggles » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:43 pm

I watched the mancs performance and Scott Carson was at fault for at least three of their goals,and the rest were conceded by a dire rear guard ,Lets face it West Brom were beaten before they took to the pitch and the loss of a player couldn't have aided their cause.
Once again the footballing Gods seem to be favouring the depraved and unwashed .
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Number 9 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:44 pm

My positivity/negativity is hinging on one game at a time from now on,I think thats the way to go! :D

A good convincing win at Wigan tonight would be fantastic,but it feels like a fuc'king cup final..we just CANT afford to drop any points tonight,Im shi,tting myself a bit!
PLEASE win tonight lads! :buttrock
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:51 pm

I have a feeling Torres will get a few tonight. He is due some goals.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion