Here it comes again... - Everything's getting bigger.

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The Ace1983 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:00 pm

At 1:20 in the morning on the 26th of May, 2005, anyone travelling between a little town in Oxfordshire and the surrounding hamlets would have seen a peculiar site. They would have seen a big, hairy, 21 year old man wearing one Liverpool shirt while waving another one over his head, drunkenly singing You'll Never Walk Alone and dancing in the middle of the road. That was me. It's hard to remember a happier time. In truth, it's quite hard to remember that time seeing as I had run a mile to a pub, drunk one of every red drink behind the bar (and a few others that had been made red useing squash, at least I hope it was squash), annoyed a lot of grumpy Chelsea and Man Utd fans and danced all the way home.

But today, I have been trying to remember what I felt like before the game and that is a really hard thing to do. The last days of the league had been a bust what with finishing fifth and I was still annoyed by losing the league cup. I didn't hold much hope to be honest. We had got a bit lucky with the goal from our little Luis in the Semis and if we are being honest, we might have settled for reaching the semis in Rafa's first season. I was legitimately happy that we had reached the final. And that was it. I was happy. I wasn't ecstatic, nor was I elated or thrilled. I was happy, tinged with anxiety.

But I had a problem. Due to a ridiculous superstition, I could not watch Liverpool on the TV. If I watched they lost, if I stayed away, they won. I remember my Dad, my own father sending me outside during a game against... I think it was Leeds, but I might be wrong. And as soon as I had left the room, Liverpool scored, and we won. So here I was, preparing for the biggest Liverpool game in an age, knowing that I couldn't even watch it. So I was somewhat detached. I was chewing my fingernails down to the nerve, but I had some distance. So I went to see a film.

If I stayed at home, knowing that the Champion's League final was a button away on my TV, I would have let temptation get the better of me, I would have watched and we would have lost and I would have hated myself. So me and a mate (who hates all team sports) went to go and see Star Wars III at the local cinema. By the end of it, I had managed to bury my nerves beneath the whole Anakin into Vader thing but my timing was way off. I got to the taxi place (where all the drivers were supporting Milan) and I saw the TV. We were 1 down and Crespo scored the offside goal as I waited for my cab. I felt sick, distressed, and alone in my anguish. Any chance of blocking out my fears were gone. I went home feeling terrible and then I got a load of stick from my Tottenham supporting family members.

I flicked on at half time to see if we'd got one back, but we were 3-0 down and then I felt.. actually, i felt surprisingly ok. I was now resigned to defeat and i thought "f**k it, I may as well watch it now, it can't get that much worse even if I do watch". The second half started and an hour and a half or so later, I was sprinting down the road, laughing, singing and on top of the world. I was in heaven. It was the only way to put it.

But this year, it's different. I feel, nervous but calm. I got rid of that superstition so I shall be watching the match with my dad, in the pub and y'know what? I think we're gonna win. I really do. In fact, I can't see us losing. All of this confidence and comfort and even the nerves are telling me that we must be a better team. We have options. There is no Djimi Traore, there's no Baros or Cisse. We have quality, we have depth and we have players who fight to the death. And we've still got Carra and Stevie.

I'm watching football years now and I'm seeing Paisley, Dalglish, Souness, Rush... you know the rest. We were winning it all back then and the more I look at our manager and our squad, the more i see icons just waiting for their bronze statues and iconoclastic status. I know it would be jinxing it to say that we'll win everything and that a new dynasty will arise, but not for twenty years has there been a better chance, I'm convinced of it.

The point of this post was to try and remember how I felt two years ago, but that is unimportant. How i feel now? I feel great. Ok, the nerves are so crippling that I feel like chucking my guts every ten minutes but its more excitement than anxiety. Our players can be proud, but if they want it, if they really want it, they are good enough to become legends tomorrow night. We have the men, we have the manager, we know how to do it. And the feeling in my guts is telling me that we will do it. How do you feel?

Here comes No.6. I can feel it.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:10 pm

god i hope your are right
dont think i am going to get much sleep tonight.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redstavro » Tue May 22, 2007 11:28 pm

i have said in another thread i dont believe in superstition as it does not last. but this time we are stronger this time we can win. oh we did last time:D
Redstavro

Postby lakes10 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:35 pm

Redstavro wrote:i have said in another thread i dont believe in superstition as it does not last. but this time we are stronger this time we can win. oh we did last time:D

and as i said in that other thread. superstition has helped liverpool to be what we are.

look upsome of our old players, see how many one player had to hit the light switch with the ball before he could go onto the pitch. or how many touch the This Is Anfield.
The old Boot Room, The Kop...its all down to superstition....are there ashes burried in the goal mouth at the Kop...who knows but the superstition is there.

but we will win , we are LIVERPOOL FC
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redstavro » Tue May 22, 2007 11:42 pm

dont rely to much on superstion first you have to be good and when you are good you are good. :D what :cool:
Redstavro

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Tue May 22, 2007 11:50 pm

How do I feel?

Well I'm a naturally anxious person. I often suffer anxiety over many different things and I've been having a bit of a dodgy time of late 'cos of my anxieties. Yet when it comes to tomorrow night I'm nowhere near as anxious as I thought I would be or as bad as I was in the build up to 2005. Back then I think it was a case of, we've not been in a European cup final for 20 years. I was 4 when we'd last won it ('84) but couldn't remember a damn thing about it. I think it was a case of thinking - Is this gonna be a once in a lifetime kinda thing (if you know what I mean  ??? ). I can remember thinking at half-time 3-0 down 'why was this happening, is it gonna be another 20 years or longer before our chance came again?'

In 2005 we had all of the coincidences/superstitions being bandied around which gave us a glimmer of hope. We've not got as many this year but there seem to be some sort of gods smiling on Milan if you like. I'm not going to go into them but knowing they are there does knock the confidence a bit.

Two years ago there was a hope that we'd bring back the trophy, that was only right given the recent history of the club. This time there is a very strong belief that we can win. Will we win? I have the belief that we can but deep down I can feel something starting to eat away...

...the nerves and come 7.45pm tomorrow, Wednesday 23rd May 2007 I guarantee I'll be shakin' like anything with sweaty pits and praying to every god in the sky that Liverpool FC will be champions of europe for a sixth time.

Now is the calm before the storm!

:kungfu:
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Tue May 22, 2007 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Wed May 23, 2007 12:39 am

RUSHIE#9 wrote:How do I feel?

Well I'm a naturally anxious person. I often suffer anxiety over many different things and I've been having a bit of a dodgy time of late 'cos of my anxieties. Yet when it comes to tomorrow night I'm nowhere near as anxious as I thought I would be or as bad as I was in the build up to 2005. Back then I think it was a case of, we've not been in a European cup final for 20 years. I was 4 when we'd last won it ('84) but couldn't remember a damn thing about it. I think it was a case of thinking - Is this gonna be a once in a lifetime kinda thing (if you know what I mean  ??? ). I can remember thinking at half-time 3-0 down 'why was this happening, is it gonna be another 20 years or longer before our chance came again?'

In 2005 we had all of the coincidences/superstitions being bandied around which gave us a glimmer of hope. We've not got as many this year but there seem to be some sort of gods smiling on Milan if you like. I'm not going to go into them but knowing they are there does knock the confidence a bit.

Two years ago there was a hope that we'd bring back the trophy, that was only right given the recent history of the club. This time there is a very strong belief that we can win. Will we win? I have the belief that we can but deep down I can feel something starting to eat away...

...the nerves and come 7.45pm tomorrow, Wednesday 23rd May 2007 I guarantee I'll be shakin' like anything with sweaty pits and praying to every god in the sky that Liverpool FC will be champions of europe for a sixth time.

Now is the calm before the storm!

:kungfu:

mate i'm normally so laid back people think i'm asleep most of the time but right now i'm browning my pants with a mixture of anticipation & nerves, i dread to think how you're feeling :wwww  someone get me another beer!!!!!!!!
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Wed May 23, 2007 12:43 am

Relax , its going to penalties :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed May 23, 2007 12:48 am

The Ace1983 wrote:At 1:20 in the morning on the 26th of May, 2005, anyone travelling between a little town in Oxfordshire and the surrounding hamlets would have seen a peculiar site. They would have seen a big, hairy, 21 year old man wearing one Liverpool shirt while waving another one over his head, drunkenly singing You'll Never Walk Alone and dancing in the middle of the road. That was me. It's hard to remember a happier time. In truth, it's quite hard to remember that time seeing as I had run a mile to a pub, drunk one of every red drink behind the bar (and a few others that had been made red useing squash, at least I hope it was squash), annoyed a lot of grumpy Chelsea and Man Utd fans and danced all the way home.

But today, I have been trying to remember what I felt like before the game and that is a really hard thing to do. The last days of the league had been a bust what with finishing fifth and I was still annoyed by losing the league cup. I didn't hold much hope to be honest. We had got a bit lucky with the goal from our little Luis in the Semis and if we are being honest, we might have settled for reaching the semis in Rafa's first season. I was legitimately happy that we had reached the final. And that was it. I was happy. I wasn't ecstatic, nor was I elated or thrilled. I was happy, tinged with anxiety.

But I had a problem. Due to a ridiculous superstition, I could not watch Liverpool on the TV. If I watched they lost, if I stayed away, they won. I remember my Dad, my own father sending me outside during a game against... I think it was Leeds, but I might be wrong. And as soon as I had left the room, Liverpool scored, and we won. So here I was, preparing for the biggest Liverpool game in an age, knowing that I couldn't even watch it. So I was somewhat detached. I was chewing my fingernails down to the nerve, but I had some distance. So I went to see a film.

If I stayed at home, knowing that the Champion's League final was a button away on my TV, I would have let temptation get the better of me, I would have watched and we would have lost and I would have hated myself. So me and a mate (who hates all team sports) went to go and see Star Wars III at the local cinema. By the end of it, I had managed to bury my nerves beneath the whole Anakin into Vader thing but my timing was way off. I got to the taxi place (where all the drivers were supporting Milan) and I saw the TV. We were 1 down and Crespo scored the offside goal as I waited for my cab. I felt sick, distressed, and alone in my anguish. Any chance of blocking out my fears were gone. I went home feeling terrible and then I got a load of stick from my Tottenham supporting family members.

I flicked on at half time to see if we'd got one back, but we were 3-0 down and then I felt.. actually, i felt surprisingly ok. I was now resigned to defeat and i thought "f**k it, I may as well watch it now, it can't get that much worse even if I do watch". The second half started and an hour and a half or so later, I was sprinting down the road, laughing, singing and on top of the world. I was in heaven. It was the only way to put it.

But this year, it's different. I feel, nervous but calm. I got rid of that superstition so I shall be watching the match with my dad, in the pub and y'know what? I think we're gonna win. I really do. In fact, I can't see us losing. All of this confidence and comfort and even the nerves are telling me that we must be a better team. We have options. There is no Djimi Traore, there's no Baros or Cisse. We have quality, we have depth and we have players who fight to the death. And we've still got Carra and Stevie.

I'm watching football years now and I'm seeing Paisley, Dalglish, Souness, Rush... you know the rest. We were winning it all back then and the more I look at our manager and our squad, the more i see icons just waiting for their bronze statues and iconoclastic status. I know it would be jinxing it to say that we'll win everything and that a new dynasty will arise, but not for twenty years has there been a better chance, I'm convinced of it.

The point of this post was to try and remember how I felt two years ago, but that is unimportant. How i feel now? I feel great. Ok, the nerves are so crippling that I feel like chucking my guts every ten minutes but its more excitement than anxiety. Our players can be proud, but if they want it, if they really want it, they are good enough to become legends tomorrow night. We have the men, we have the manager, we know how to do it. And the feeling in my guts is telling me that we will do it. How do you feel?

Here comes No.6. I can feel it.

Fantastic tale - keep watching Ace  :)

I feel really calm, I feel confident, I listen to Rafael Benitez and I feel belief and 7.45pm can not come sooner.

I'm praying too, have been for a while and will be blowing my prayers upon the redmen as they file out of the tunnell, ensuring my 'blows' don't touch the other lot. And as they line-up to take the field and the CL anthem blares out I shall look up to the heavens and pray again!
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AussieKopite » Wed May 23, 2007 12:51 am

If it goes to pens, I'm not worried then...
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Wed May 23, 2007 12:54 am

LFC never do things the easy way.

Be prepared for your emotions to be twisted and warped....hopefully before the final triumph.

We may win...but it's not going to be pleasant or easy on the nerves.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Wed May 23, 2007 12:56 am

Zarababe, that is the most kick-@ss pic on your sig. I just set it to my desktop background.Wicked.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed May 23, 2007 1:03 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Zarababe, that is the most kick-@ss pic on your sig. I just set it to my desktop background.Wicked.

:D wicked lol - It's great isn't it - anno somone on here, out in Athen's now who has printed it on their T-shirts - looks boss  :)
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed May 23, 2007 1:34 am

The Ace1983 wrote:Zarababe, that is the most kick-@ss pic on your sig. I just set it to my desktop background.Wicked.

Post it for me please, I have signatures switched off.  :)
jonnymac1979

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed May 23, 2007 1:36 am

its frustrating for me as i have another sleep before the game, the game is thursday morning here at 1.45 am so its to bed at 5pm for me tonight    :D

i am soooooo excited now, i miss a lot of the build up being out here, just the occassional programme on tv, but now the day is here
112-1077774096

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion