"big" games - Are some bigger than others?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby CardinalRed » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:34 pm

Been having a bit of a think about this one...... What defines a "big game" these days? Sure, the Man U matches always have that cache about them as do the Everton derbies, but when you think about it doesn't every game we play now become a "big" one?
If we're playing a Reading or a Derby County, the pressure must be the same simply because we're expected to beat them or, by the same token, if we play a Championship side in The Cup then doesn't it by definition become just as big?
Obviously some matches are naturally "big" (cup finals and semi's etc) but the mere fact that we are a massive club makes every game we play "big". The only reason this weekends Chelsea game for example feels big is because it feels better when you beat them than say when you beat a Villa or a Toulouse. We won't get any more points for beating Chelsea than we did for beating Villa so are the points, although the same, more crucial this weekend then last?
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:37 pm

Man Utd, Chelsea and Everton are the only big games for me.

The rest are normal games.

If I had to pick this year which I game I most want us to win, it would be Everton (A) on October 20th.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:46 pm

The champions League games when it comes to the knockout stages (last 16) are all big games but in terms of the league I would agree with Rafa Dodd on the 3 teams he has picked.

United away would also be sweet
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:52 pm

I hate to say it, but I think Everton will have a really, really good year this year.

Their base of the squad is great.

Howard, Yobo, Lescott, Baines, Arteta, Cahill, Johnson and that Leon Osman all look like they are up and coming players. Coupled with the fact they might be buying Fernandes and Yakubu and I can see them challenging top 6 and possibly challenging for that 4th spot if they stay injury free.

Horrible thoughts I know.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:59 pm

For me, Manure, both games are by far the biggest.

In terms of the league title beating the other challengers is worth more than beating a lesser team as it means your rivals drop points too.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby burjennio » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:36 pm

After the rapings by them the last few seasons, we really owe Utd a tankin, home and away

b@stards

:angry:
burjennio

Postby The Ace1983 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:54 pm

In a local perspective, Everton has to be seen as a big game. And in terms of historical significance and grandeur, Man Utd games will always have an aura of added importance. But in the modern league, when just a couple of losses can cost a team a season, and media attention looks over every game, every match is almost vital. If we lose to Chelski on the weekend, we are potentially 6 points off of their lead and one must wonder if the rent boys will drop that many more points than we will over the course of the season. All this, and it's only game 2 of 38!

All games are big now, but some just have added interest.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:55 pm

Manure, Chavski and the Bitters for me too, plus beating teams like Barca, Real Madrid and AC Milan feels good.

Beating Chelsea is far more important than beating Villa as it some respects you can think of it as a 6 pointer, plus also there si the moral thing, you get such a boost by beating the top teams.
heimdall

Postby lakes10 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:11 pm

looking at some of the games the last few days, i dont feel there are any easy games any more.
there are a lot of good teams out there that only need to put a run in and they could end up in the top 4.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maypaxvobiscum » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:22 pm

no such thing as big games as at the end of the day if u beat manure, u get 3 points, just like if you beat sunderland. every game should be treated as important as its gonna affect the table in the long run.
complacency out.
destruction in.
:buttrock
maypaxvobiscum

Postby Red Dotty » Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:25 pm

As we are trying to return the holy grail to the home of footy (Anfield) then we should be treating every game as a massive game.
image001.gif
Red Dotty

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:15 pm

F*ck Everton. I know locally it's a big game, but they are small fish now. The big games are obviously all the games between us and the top four this season. We need to win them all, or at least most. Failing to do so will cost us the league. It's as simple as that.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby weringo » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:25 pm

The big league games for me are Everton, Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal. Although the Arsenal game is borderline as there isn't really much of a rivally between the two clubs.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby hello_red » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:44 pm

as i know we are more than capable of beating chelsea i say its Man u and Everton.

reasons:
1. both beat us last year and deserve a spanking
2. i :censored: hate them
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby roberto green » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:09 pm

it is always very important to win against the main 2 over the years, man u and everton but it doesnt matter as long as we win the league no one would be complaining then would they.:p
roberto green

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion