Steven Gerrard thread - Stevie G topics: please post here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby joependo » Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:15 pm

me thinks rafa has a nuff tings on his mind. hows your family. Stevie is our family
red neck. marinio cud do a good job ere, fa liverpool
i reckon carra's had an excellent season and when Gerrard not playin he should be captain.Hyppia is ****** he can't run for a toffe.:angry:
joependo

Postby lfclfclfc » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:12 am

a lot has been said about whether gerrard is or isn't extending his contract in summer, is or isn't he going to chelsea, is he or isn't he going to 'give' the team another chance to 'prove their worth to him'... i dunno if people'd agree, but i thought gerrard has everything to prove to the club and supporters rather than the other way around!

riding on a high after a successful 2003/2004 season, he mentioned that he needs to see improvement in the team that matches his ambitions. he saw a season blighted by injuries and when we needed him to carry us most, he has not responded enough. a good game here and there... but hardly the 'inspirational' captain that we'd love to see!

i may not have the complete picture of 'stevie the captain' and would love to have anybody tell me. I can quite easily picture him as a fantastic player but a fantastic leader/captain?

does he influence his peers, communicate constantly and create ownership amongst the team, spread optimism (when the going gets tough), produce results (lead by example), stand up for his mates (trust), mentor and inspire the young, the down-trodden...? what is he like in the dressing room, training pitch, off training? do players look to him for inspiration/advise? why is it that a team performs better (arguable, but statistically proven) without the captain?

so, who has to prove what to who, and when?  :suspect:

but i still think alonso - gerrard partnership is mouth-watering..  :grinning:
lfclfclfc

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:18 am

lfclfclfc wrote:a lot has been said about whether gerrard is or isn't extending his contract in summer, is or isn't he going to chelsea, is he or isn't he going to 'give' the team another chance to 'prove their worth to him'... i dunno if people'd agree, but i thought gerrard has everything to prove to the club and supporters rather than the other way around!

riding on a high after a successful 2003/2004 season, he mentioned that he needs to see improvement in the team that matches his ambitions. he saw a season blighted by injuries and when we needed him to carry us most, he has not responded enough. a good game here and there... but hardly the 'inspirational' captain that we'd love to see!

i may not have the complete picture of 'stevie the captain' and would love to have anybody tell me. I can quite easily picture him as a fantastic player but a fantastic leader/captain?

does he influence his peers, communicate constantly and create ownership amongst the team, spread optimism (when the going gets tough), produce results (lead by example), stand up for his mates (trust), mentor and inspire the young, the down-trodden...? what is he like in the dressing room, training pitch, off training? do players look to him for inspiration/advise? why is it that a team performs better (arguable, but statistically proven) without the captain?

so, who has to prove what to who, and when?  :suspect:

but i still think alonso - gerrard partnership is mouth-watering..  :grinning:

Good post i totally agree :D
66-1112520797

Postby araav » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:24 am

Stevie is my fav player
araav

Postby ynwa » Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:22 pm

any see the card a cockney nob was holding up when they where asking the fans what they thought of the game
the card said welcome home gerrrard
walk on walk on with hope in your heart
rafalution
18/5
god is back
ynwa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:09 pm

Was disappointed with Gerrards performance last night, his passing was really poor and he didnt get involved enough, i dont know whether its something to do with the frame of mind hes in playing against them with the constant speculation but i'm hoping for ALOT more in the second leg.
Alonso's booking was a joke, he never touched him.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:35 pm

The mark of the man

Gerrard in hospital drama

Apr 28 2005

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

LIVERPOOL skipper Steven Gerrard was at the centre of a hospital drama hours before the Champions League semi-final at Chelsea.

The Huyton-born midfielder had surgery to remove a painful mouth abscess after he suffered a sleepless night.

Dental surgeons treated him in time for him to play a key role in last night's match.

It is understood Gerrard, 24, had been suffering increasing pain for the past few days.

He was awake in agony at 2am yesterday, and after discussions it was decided to take him first thing in the morning to a nearby dental hospital in London.

The procedure to lance the abscess is understood to have been carried out successfully after Gerrard was given a local anaesthetic.

He returned to join up with his team mates before leading them out and playing in the Reds impressive 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge.

Geoff Brown, dental adviser for Merseyside primary care trusts, said: "It would have been very painful.

"The purpose of the surgery will be to ease the pain but he would have felt very groggy after the anaesthetic.

"The antibiotics would also have taken their toll."

Richard Pedder of the Liverpool Supporters Club, said it was typical of Gerrard to play through the pain barrier. He said: "It shows what a team player he is."

Sean Sweeney from Bootle was also watching the game at Stamford Bridge. He said: "Gerrard is a hero through and through.

"He is not the sort of player that would let a toothache get in the way of a big game."
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:59 pm

Pah! Tommy Smith would have played with a shotgun wound to the solar plexis!
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:33 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:The mark of the man

Apr 28 2005

LIVERPOOL skipper Steven Gerrard was at the centre of a hospital drama hours before the Champions League semi-final at Chelsea.

The Huyton-born midfielder had surgery to remove a painful mouth abscess after he suffered a sleepless night.

Dental surgeons treated him in time for him to play a key role in last night's match.

It is understood Gerrard, 24, had been suffering increasing pain for the past few days.

He was awake in agony at 2am yesterday, and after discussions it was decided to take him first thing in the morning to a nearby dental hospital in London.

The procedure to lance the abscess is understood to have been carried out successfully after Gerrard was given a local anaesthetic.

He returned to join up with his team mates before leading them out and playing in the Reds impressive 0-0 draw at Stamford Bridge.

Geoff Brown, dental adviser for Merseyside primary care trusts, said: "It would have been very painful.

"The purpose of the surgery will be to ease the pain but he would have felt very groggy after the anaesthetic.

Richard Pedder of the Liverpool Supporters Club, said it was typical of Gerrard to play through the pain barrier. He said: "It shows what a team player he is."

Sean Sweeney from Bootle was also watching the game at Stamford Bridge. He said: "Gerrard is a hero through and through.

"He is not the sort of player that would let a toothache get in the way of a big game."

Well that might explain why his performance was not upto it.

Still think that the next leg is a chance for him to put the joining Chelsea rumours to bed with a captains matchwinning performance.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:35 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Well that might explain why his performance was not upto it.

???

i thought gerrard had a half decent game last night. certainly the best he's played against chelsea this season. too many fans expect him to set the world on fire every game and it just isn't gonna happen, especially when our backs are against the wall.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:50 pm

stmichael wrote:

???

i thought gerrard had a half decent game last night. certainly the best he's played against chelsea this season. too many fans expect him to set the world on fire every game and it just isn't gonna happen, especially when our backs are against the wall.

The big problem with/for Stevie is that following his single handed dragging of this club into the Chapmions League place last season, and the constant dependence on him, he feels that he must do everything, and tries too hard.

Now the same thing is happening with the fans, if Stevie does not win three penalties, score a last minutes winner and throw fifty two bone crunching tackles in during a game everyone thinks he has had a bad game.

Truth is our team has developed that much under Rafa that Stevie is no longer the catalyst for everything good, but simply one of the 11 well oiled cogs of the red machine.

If he leaves it will be a major blow, but if he stays, he can, along with Carra, Alonso, Garcia, Morientes, Finnan and Riise form the back bone of what will without doubt become a formidable force in English and (indeed) European football.

Viva La Rafalution.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Woollyback » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:15 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:The mark of the man

Apr 28 2005

All these fitness trainers, dieticians, sports scientists etc on the club payroll....

Youd've thought some f*cker would've remembered to tell him to brush his teeth properly  :D
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby striker » Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:35 pm

:angry:
striker

Postby Cool Hand Luke » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:38 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
stmichael wrote:

???

The big problem with/for Stevie is that following his single handed dragging of this club into the Chapmions League place last season, and the constant dependence on him, he feels that he must do everything, and tries too hard.

Now the same thing is happening with the fans, if Stevie does not win three penalties, score a last minutes winner and throw fifty two bone crunching tackles in during a game everyone thinks he has had a bad game.

Truth is our team has developed that much under Rafa that Stevie is no longer the catalyst for everything good, but simply one of the 11 well oiled cogs of the red machine.

If he leaves it will be a major blow, but if he stays, he can, along with Carra, Alonso, Garcia, Morientes, Finnan and Riise form the back bone of what will without doubt become a formidable force in English and (indeed) European football.

Viva La Rafalution.

I see what your saying Leon.

But I think he had a bad game yesterday. I didnt have to do anything special. The propbeml with Gerrard is that he isn't doing the simple things right. Last night he gave the ball away too often. Compare him to Biscan how hardly lost the ball.

i think yes what about you
Cool Hand Luke
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:15 pm

No Leon I don't need Gerrard to score three penalties or to win us the game, because he's a captain I expect him to be more inspirational on the pitch. He hasn't played well consistantly in a long time this season.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion