Stevie gerrard - why he is unlikely to leave now! - Stevie gerrard - why he is unlikely to l

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby vlady16.1 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:42 am

its funny that first it was mike then now steve leaving-- steve signing asking mike to stay-- relax-- i really think roman gets a ***** when he simply says in the press he would like a player then all hell breaks loose -- he can't have all the good players and besides the porto boy seems to have a wee bit of an ego-- i'm sure anyone can see that the odds of liverpool improving are better than chelsea's-- all the egos and not enough squad depth( don't laugh i mean muckers- the guys who don't cry if they don't start but will do the dirty work)-- they have to deal with arsenal(better TEAM) sir alec and an improving liverpool
on the other hand one player(albeit great) doesn't make a team. ie edmonton traded gretzky-- arguably the 4th best play of all time and won the cup soon after
it would be devastating if he left but what if he had a really bad injury-- same effect-- the team could (and hopefully won't have to) struggle on
vlady16.1

Postby Santa » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:46 am

vlady16.1 wrote:on the other hand one player(albeit great) doesn't make a team. ie edmonton traded gretzky-- arguably the 4th best play of all time and won the cup soon after

...or how the individual brilliance of the mighty L.A Lakers capitulated against the well-organised team of Detroit Piston with no major star players in such a loop-sided series.

It shows that a balanced team, well organised (eg, Valencia) is always going to fare better than one who solely rely upon 'individuals' (eg, Real Madrid) in the long run. Like Rafa said, a good player can win you one match but a good team can win you four, five matches. That's what you need to win the title.

So relax guys, have faith. Rafa knows what it takes to build a strong team, one that will see us challanging for the title sooner rather than later.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby whylongball? » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:17 am

Santa wrote:An article in Echo reported that StevieG has already made up his mind on his move to Chelsea. I believe it is no longer a rumour and we WILL start next season without him. Question is how much we will collect from Roman? £30M is too low for a player of his caliber. However if Parker and/or Cole is thrown into the deal, then it is more realistic.

p.s I will take £20M + Parker & Duff ...

when it has to come, it comes
But it SG goes to Chelsea then i would make sure parker, cole, gallas plus 30 millions coming to anfield :D
whylongball?

Postby redman25 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:27 am

John Bull is spot on the deal has already been done, Sg has also purchased a pad down London for 2 million! Its all about money i am afraid it ****** stinks!!! I really cant believe SG has done this but life goes on.  Just like it did when we lost past players, I am sure the gaffer will bring in some quality signings.  Sg is making the biggest mistake of his life!!!
redman25

Postby JohnBull » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:51 am

It is the money BUT there are some really embarassing stories doing the rounds at the moment.
If it was me - I'd want to go to London
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jymbojetset » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:54 pm

JohnBull wrote:It is the money BUT there are some really embarassing stories doing the rounds at the moment.
If it was me - I'd want to go to London

Such as?
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:12 pm

jymbojetset wrote:Going back to the main topic of the day!

This article is worth reading, and might make take your mind of situation a bit.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW6246040621-0912.htm

Yes.. I've just read that too.. and its the kind of sense we should be reading more off...

As for "its a done deal",  "he's bought a pad in London-stuff..." are you lot related to the Gerrard's ? or  r u the agents that have just taken the tidy commission on the pad he's just bought?

I thought some sense would prevail in this forum.. obvioulsy I was wrong.

Clam down...everyone! wait and see what happens.. 2 weeks ago it was  "when are they going to annouce the new gaffer",  now you've found the Gerrard-hype to consume these pages with.

The boss has been out to see the lads, and he's given his views on his plans for the future ...trust him, at least,  if no-one else. He's comments have reassured me.. the future of the Club is in good hands.

It's that holiday-man, Parry whose.. wobbled us all again.. I wish he'd just shut-up.

If SG stays he stays, if he does he goes.. it won't end the club or cause a life or death situation, but the constant specualtion on these pages is driving me bonkers... STOP IT!
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:19 pm

A few names for you. Drogba, Nedved, Samuel, Beckham, Henry, Mexes, Ronaldinho, Sheva, Totti, Emerson, Trezeguet, Carlos, Raul, Nesta, Vieri and Eriksson, all turned down a move to the Chelsea Village this year.

Gerrard should be no different if he has any sense. any move is not about ambition, it's about greed. chelsea have won one worthwile trophy since 1955.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:55 pm

If the figures are right £125,000 a week is hard to turn down, and in some ways you cannot really blame Gerrard for accepting their offer.

However, it would be a hammer blow to Liverpool as it will probably be the first time in their modern history that they gave in to a fellow Premiership team. Even Man UTD in their pomp couldn't steal our players away.

Hopefully we will recover from it and Benetiz will use the cash to reinforce the squad. I'd sooner have three or four guys who perform consistently in midfield rather than have one superstar beside three donkeys, which was the case last season.

Even Man UTD in their pomp couldn't steal our players away.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby cheesecakery » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:58 pm

thats because when Man U were in there POMP  :D
none of our players would have got in their team  :D
ARF ARF
cheesecakery

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:00 pm

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I'd sooner have three or four guys who perform consistently in midfield rather than have one superstar beside three donkeys, which was the case last season.

agree with that point. there's no point in gerrard staying if he is going to single-handedly have to drag the team along week in week out. i've never known one player have so much influence over a premiership side.

p.s £120,000 a week is f#cking ludicrous. what is the world coming to? :angry:
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby JBG » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:06 pm

Provided Benetiz spends the money wisely we will get over the departure of Gerrard.

As for the blow to finally submitting to the demands of a Premiership side I guess that has been on the cards a long time now.

By the way Cheeso, Ferguson wanted to sign Ritchie Partridge three years ago as a sub for Beckham, and we wouldn't let 'em 'ave 'em.  :D
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby Sean » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:12 pm

Abramovich, Kenyon & Mourinho were at the game last night.  They looked like vultures ready to make an offer for any one showing a half decent touch.  I reckon Abramovich had the cheque book in his pocket.

If Gerrard is set on going and Chelsea want him, I reckon we should do the honourable thing and hold them to ransom.  If they want him badly enough they'll have no problem paying his £60 million value......and finally Frank Lampard will be able to have an orgasm
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JohnBull » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:18 pm

The silence  has been enough to undermine the future of Gerrards life  at Liverpool.
Is there really any point in him staying ?
JohnBull
JohnBull
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:22 pm

we should be getting behind him, and not believing any of this. nothing has been said by either him or his agent. Until it has, then we must ignore it all - as hard as it is.

why would he leave Liverpool at such an exciting time? The answer is: he won't. I'm not 100% sure, of course, but close enough. Gerrard is still young; just 23 when the last season ended. He said he didn't want to be 35 at Liverpool having won none of the major honours. Fair comment, in my eyes. But that's eleven years away.

Surely he has to give the new man at least two years of his service? Does he not owe that to himself, the club, and the fans? He will be only 25 at the end of 2005/06. If Liverpool haven't progressed in that time, then he can leave with my (reluctant) blessing.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion