Steven gerrard may call time on liverpool - 'stevie announces retirement'

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:38 am

From The Times  June 17, 2009

Steven Gerrard may call time on Liverpool

Steven Gerrard, the Liverpool captain, has revealed that he may retire when his contract expires in four years' time.

The 29-year-old midfield player has hinted previously that he is unlikely to play on into his mid-thirties and claimed yesterday that he could bring down the curtain on a glittering career in 2013.

Should he stay true to his word, it would mean that the World Cup finals in South Africa next summer would represent his last opportunity to win the tournament with England.

“I'll be 33 at the end of my contract and it's doubtful whether I'll carry on,” Gerrard said. “If I decide to stop, I'll be proud of the fact I've spent my entire career with the same club. And I don't want to think about wearing any other shirt in the future.”

The Premier League title remains the one leading domestic trophy to have eluded Gerrard and he suggested that Liverpool's success in the transfer market this summer would go a long way towards determining the club's chances of winning it, given the strength of Manchester United's playing resources.

“Manchester United have more depth in their squad than us,” he said. “We have to be realistic. But if we can add two or three quality players to what we already have, we'll be at their level. The summer recruitments will be crucial.”

As revealed by The Times yesterday, Glen Johnson, the Portsmouth and England right back, will be the first of those after Liverpool had an £18.5million bid accepted.

Rafael Benítez, the Liverpool manager, will turn his attention to David Silva, the Valencia winger, once the deal for Johnson is concluded.
++

I look forward to retiring when I'm 33 years old as well. Errr....

:idea
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:47 am

hold the press! gerard will retire sometime in the future! SHOCKER!
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:50 am

Yes I saw the original article Reg and found it interesting that he said he contemplated leaving Liverpool twice. I remember the time to Chelsea but I couldn't recall the other time (unless he nearly went there twice). My guess is though that he'll play on longer, probably as a holding midfielder or centre half. I think he'd make a World Class centre half FWIW.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby DrPepe » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:56 am

bigmick wrote:Yes I saw the original article Reg and found it interesting that he said he contemplated leaving Liverpool twice. I remember the time to Chelsea but I couldn't recall the other time (unless he nearly went there twice). My guess is though that he'll play on longer, probably as a holding midfielder or centre half. I think he'd make a World Class centre half FWIW.

chels twice i would have thought

summer 2005 was when it all kicked off, but also xmas 2004   chels said they wanted to sign him :angry:
"If I put a player in another position, suddenly 20 experts are going on about it. Experts of what, though? I don't know." - Rafa
DrPepe
LFC Super Member

Postby Reg » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:14 am

I'm pretty sure it was twice to Chelsea.

I only posted to get the piranhas out of the Johnston thread........... :laugh:
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:24 am

Yeah it was Chelsea twice Mick. First time was before Owen left, during the 2004 Euro's when Lampard suddenly became his "best buddy" and Rafa went out to chat to Carra, Gerrard and Owen and left them totally underwhelmed according to Carra's book.
account deleted by request

Postby bigmick » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:54 am

s@int wrote:Yeah it was Chelsea twice Mick. First time was before Owen left, during the 2004 Euro's when Lampard suddenly became his "best buddy" and Rafa went out to chat to Carra, Gerrard and Owen and left them totally underwhelmed according to Carra's book.

What they weren't bowled over by Rafa's arm round the shoulder jokey nature ???
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:14 am

bigmick wrote:
s@int wrote:Yeah it was Chelsea twice Mick. First time was before Owen left, during the 2004 Euro's when Lampard suddenly became his "best buddy" and Rafa went out to chat to Carra, Gerrard and Owen and left them totally underwhelmed according to Carra's book.

What they weren't bowled over by Rafa's arm round the shoulder jokey nature ???

now now michael, you know you are not allowed to criticise the messiah    :D

as for Gerrard, hopefully he will become manager at some point, hopefully in three years    :p   although that will be 6 years by then winning feck all
112-1077774096

Postby GOAT » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:44 am

Ano yeah as soon as stevie comes in as manager we'll have the treble sown up every year, good ald stevie la
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby bigmick » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:50 am

I actually hope he plays well beyond 33, not even necessarily for us either. I quite liked it in the old days where players would play on till they could barely run any more, and sometimes long after they couldn't. They'd drop down the divisions, move into the centre of defence and still be the best player on the park. Normally, afterwards they'd hanf their boots up and go buy a pub somewhere. I suppose it's inevitable though that as they get paid more money now, people like Stevie G look forward to "retirement" at 33. Should play on as long as you can, best years of your life.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yolz » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:54 am

I have fond memories of Jan Molby being the midfield general and unlocking the defenses with a deft flick,
even though he barely ran a yard!
Hope Stevie plays till his twilight years, there's more to his game and contribution than just the surging runs and precious goals
He's the very embodiment of the Liverpool spirit!
His mere presence ensures that the players play above a notch
Last edited by yolz on Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only True Reds in england...........
yolz

Postby Sabre » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:56 am

It's a tricky one the retirement of such huge players.

I have no doubts that when Gerrard ends his contract he'll still be a very good player. When's the moment to retire? when you're almost on your peak? or seeing a slow demise?

In a way, I wouldn't like to see playing Gerrard with 34 years at a lower level, and I would like to see him retired in Liverpool.

But as a football fan, I'd like him to watch him play in Spain, as he could enter in many good teams at that age. He'd make a last favour to football teaching the Spanish lads how to arm a shot and how to play football in it's purest form. He deseves a couple of years in a sunny retirement :D
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:57 am

it depends on fitness sabre, and i suppose position, look at maldini, but then again he was not in the engine room
112-1077774096

Postby Feeney » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 pm

bigmick wrote:I actually hope he plays well beyond 33, not even necessarily for us either. I quite liked it in the old days where players would play on till they could barely run any more, and sometimes long after they couldn't. They'd drop down the divisions, move into the centre of defence and still be the best player on the park. Normally, afterwards they'd hanf their boots up and go buy a pub somewhere. I suppose it's inevitable though that as they get paid more money now, people like Stevie G look forward to "retirement" at 33. Should play on as long as you can, best years of your life.

With the emphasis on fitness from a young age (sometimes 6 onwards), I think we will start to see more an more footballers continuing to play well into the mid 30's and beyond.

Henry's 31 and still has pace that would scar the sh!t out of any defence. Infact, there's currently a renaissance of players 30+ still not only plying thier trade but continuing to play top level football to an excellent standard.

I could see Stevie playing until at least he's 35 and still bossing games.

Feeney
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:46 pm

there was the time after we won the Euro cup and another time after that I'm sure. He deffo flirted with them twice tho. Gerrard will defs get another two years after this contract if he wants. Depends if his legs let him really
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion