Another steven gerrard thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:17 pm

I simply cannot for the life of me understand why people are starting threads left right and centre about Steven Gerrard.

Think back to the last close season. The horrifying thought that the axis of evil (Kenyon, Abramorvich and Maureen) had got their claws into our talismanic skipper. The same lad that had single handidly (anyone care to disagree about that point?) dragged our beloved club kicking and sreaming through the final painfull year of Houlliers reign and into the Champions League.

Think back to that final ten minutes against Olympiakos, when the same lad volleyed an impossible shot into the back of the net to cap the greatest European night of living memory (at the time and soon to be surpassed by Leverkusen, Juve and Chelsea).

Think back to the volley he scored against Middlesborough, during a dour and typically end of season game. The kind of goal only really special and talented players can produce.

Think back to the most magical of fantasia type magical nights in the Turkish capital, when the same scouse to the core lad popped up with an unbeleiveable header to beat a keeper six foot odd and previoulsy infallable in the competition to lift his troops and lead by example. A kind of look boys, I am with you, this is how to do it, lets do it together attitude that you do not find in players like Milito, Kuyt, Baraja, Ibanez or anyother player we plan to purchase with the proceeds of selling him.

Yes his head was turned. But if someone came along and offered me the chance to work for three or four times my salary, then I would snap their bloody arm off.

Yes he seems to say the wrong kind of things to the wrong people, but times have changed. no longer are football players interviwed for their star status, they are simply prey for lazy bas.tard hacks intent on making up stories if they are not given one.

We simply can not, must not, daren't not have Steven Gerrard come to Anfield wearing the colours of another team. We MUST see him proudly wear the red of Liverpool, and lift the European Cup again.

We dont want to see the best central midfielder in Europe brielfy late on Sunday nights on Sky Sports. We want to see the best central midfielders in Europe (Stevie and Xabi) plying their trade down at L4, and watch them again on Match of the Day.
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:19 pm

Central midfielders Leon. :)

haha.
Last edited by 115-1073096938 on Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
115-1073096938

Postby XSD » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:23 pm

I agree, but whatever people say it is in the hands of 2 people. Stevie himself and the manager Benitez.
XSD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:33 pm

Last season, Gerrard started the season in decent form. He then picked up an injury and lost his way. He is a fantastic player but is not and never will be bigger than this club.

Last season to me it looked for most of the season like he was simply going through the motions. Like he didn't REALLY want to be here, like he thought he was to big for this club.

In alot of big games, he simply went missing.

but on May 25th, something seemed to change.

From the first whistle of that game he lookeda different player than i've seen before. All of a sudden it seemed to hit him * :censored:, i'm the captain of LFC (one of my LOCAL clubs) and i'm representing them in the biggest club final in the world.

From the first whistle he looked up for it, its a shame the rest of the team didn't. The sulking and bad  body language wasn't there anymore, the bollocking players for the wrong pass wasn't happening. He was finally leading the team in the correct way, they simply let him down....... for 45 minutes.

Then an inspired substitution was made, an inspired tactial change and the team started to get the ball more. Then the goal, he could have reacted differently... i've scored in a cup final... thats how good i am... but he didn't. He grabbed the ball and encouraged EVERYONE exepct AC Milan. A hint of believe, he then carried on, and started dominating the play, with Alonso next to him pinging passes Gerrard was involved in everything. Calming players down, clapping good intent, trusting his team mates, then Smicer shoots and makes it 3-2.

His effort level went up after the second goal and i've no doubt had he not been fouled from behind, he would have had his second. He done things on that night he's NEVER done before. To me, he looked like he realised one or two things that night, i've always said, if he doesn't want to stay, :censored: him, we'll get good money for him, but i no longer think thats the case.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:39 pm

stu_the_red wrote:To me, he looked like he realised one or two things that night, i've always said, if he doesn't want to stay, :censored: him, we'll get good money for him, but i no longer think thats the case.

The suspense is fu'ckin' killin' me , what is now "The case" ?    :D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Ciggy » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:42 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:I simply cannot for the life of me understand why people are starting threads left right and centre about Steven Gerrard.

Think back to the last close season. The horrifying thought that the axis of evil (Kenyon, Abramorvich and Maureen) had got their claws into our talismanic skipper. The same lad that had single handidly (anyone care to disagree about that point?) dragged our beloved club kicking and sreaming through the final painfull year of Houlliers reign and into the Champions League.

Think back to that final ten minutes against Olympiakos, when the same lad volleyed an impossible shot into the back of the net to cap the greatest European night of living memory (at the time and soon to be surpassed by Leverkusen, Juve and Chelsea).

Think back to the volley he scored against Middlesborough, during a dour and typically end of season game. The kind of goal only really special and talented players can produce.

Think back to the most magical of fantasia type magical nights in the Turkish capital, when the same scouse to the core lad popped up with an unbeleiveable header to beat a keeper six foot odd and previoulsy infallable in the competition to lift his troops and lead by example. A kind of look boys, I am with you, this is how to do it, lets do it together attitude that you do not find in players like Milito, Kuyt, Baraja, Ibanez or anyother player we plan to purchase with the proceeds of selling him.

Yes his head was turned. But if someone came along and offered me the chance to work for three or four times my salary, then I would snap their bloody arm off.

Yes he seems to say the wrong kind of things to the wrong people, but times have changed. no longer are football players interviwed for their star status, they are simply prey for lazy bas.tard hacks intent on making up stories if they are not given one.

We simply can not, must not, daren't not have Steven Gerrard come to Anfield wearing the colours of another team. We MUST see him proudly wear the red of Liverpool, and lift the European Cup again.

We dont want to see the best central midfielder in Europe brielfy late on Sunday nights on Sky Sports. We want to see the best central midfielders in Europe (Stevie and Xabi) plying their trade down at L4, and watch them again on Match of the Day.

Great assessment leon of our Stevie, beautiful words to describe him luv it   :love:  :love:
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 115-1073096938 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:43 pm

"the case" is in my opinion. His attitude has changed and he's realised that winning the cup with this club will mean more to him than it ever could with them blue :censored: down south.
115-1073096938

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:12 pm

Does that mean that after two seasons of being pis'sed of with him you now think we should keep him ?

Maybe it's not just Gerrards atitude that has changed ?

:D

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby kaz the kopite » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:44 pm

your right woof woof mate. he should be honest.
leave if he wants to gets us 35million to spend on strengthening the squad.
no one is bigger than the club.

baraja , aimar, swp, some free transfers and origanal 3 or 4 targets should hold a brighter future for the reds!

gerrard stop believing your own hype! mate! :veryangry
Attachments

[The extension has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

I am the one and only!
kaz the kopite

Postby 76-1115222408 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:18 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Last season, Gerrard started the season in decent form. He then picked up an injury and lost his way. He is a fantastic player but is not and never will be bigger than this club.

Last season to me it looked for most of the season like he was simply going through the motions. Like he didn't REALLY want to be here, like he thought he was to big for this club.

In alot of big games, he simply went missing.

but on May 25th, something seemed to change.

From the first whistle of that game he lookeda different player than i've seen before. All of a sudden it seemed to hit him * :censored:, i'm the captain of LFC (one of my LOCAL clubs) and i'm representing them in the biggest club final in the world.

From the first whistle he looked up for it, its a shame the rest of the team didn't. The sulking and bad  body language wasn't there anymore, the bollocking players for the wrong pass wasn't happening. He was finally leading the team in the correct way, they simply let him down....... for 45 minutes.

Then an inspired substitution was made, an inspired tactial change and the team started to get the ball more. Then the goal, he could have reacted differently... i've scored in a cup final... thats how good i am... but he didn't. He grabbed the ball and encouraged EVERYONE exepct AC Milan. A hint of believe, he then carried on, and started dominating the play, with Alonso next to him pinging passes Gerrard was involved in everything. Calming players down, clapping good intent, trusting his team mates, then Smicer shoots and makes it 3-2.

His effort level went up after the second goal and i've no doubt had he not been fouled from behind, he would have had his second. He done things on that night he's NEVER done before. To me, he looked like he realised one or two things that night, i've always said, if he doesn't want to stay, :censored: him, we'll get good money for him, but i no longer think thats the case.

Excellent, I agree whole heartdedly with all your comments STU, except i noticed the following at the beginning of the final just after AC scored their first.

His body language WENT BACK to the way it was for a lot of the season, Christmas/New year especially.

But there was a point in the game, where as said above, it did FINALLY click in him - 'Hey, Im the CAPTAIN, I need to do more'
AND MORE HE DID !!!!!   :bowdown    :bowdown 

YNWA
76-1115222408

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion