Stevie gerrard - why he is unlikely to leave now! - Stevie gerrard - why he is unlikely to l

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby jymbojetset » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:57 am

Going back to the main topic of the day!

This article is worth reading, and might make take your mind of situation a bit.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW6246040621-0912.htm
jymbojetset
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:23 am

Eriksson happy to allow in Benitez
Daily Post, Jun 21 2004

SVEN-GORAN Eriksson has revealed why he allowed new Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez to visit the England team hotel this weekend.

As reported in Saturday's Daily Post, the newly-installed replacement for Gerard Houllier (right) underlined his commitment to keeping Steven Gerrard and Michael Owen at Anfield by flying out to Lisbon to meet them.

Liverpool captain Gerrard has been the subject of intense speculation over a possible move to Chelsea while striker Owen has yet to sign an extension to his present contract with the club.

Benitez spoke to Gerrard, Owen and the other Liverpool representatives in the England party, Jamie Carragher and Sammy Lee, during his visit - in a repeat of the access granted by Eriksson to Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho to visit his new charges in Manchester before the start of the tournament. However agents are banned from seeing their players.

Eriksson explained: "It was with my blessing that Rafael Benitez came to the team hotel. I think it's good for the manager, the club and the players for a new manager to speak with his new players.

"If agents wanted to come to talk to players about their futures, then I would be against it. Then again, I guess players with problems would be talking to their agents on the phone."

Benitez has vowed to do all he can to try to keep Gerrard and the club are ready to back his efforts by pricing the England midfielder in the £50m bracket to ward off potential buyers.

The club last night dismissed reports that Gerrard is heading for Stamford Bridge in a £31million deal. But the former Valencia boss added that if Gerrard and Owen did leave it would not spell the end of the club's title hopes. Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry admitted in Thursday's Daily Post that he faces a huge battle to persuade Gerrard to stay.

But the 44-year-old Spaniard said: "I am not worried. We are waiting and we know they are still here with us. We also know they are important for us but we will wait. They are important to us but then afterwards I will change my mind about our future if I have to change. Again I say I'm not worried."

Benitez said it is more important to get the team structure right and play together as one team rather than individuals.

The man who led Valencia to success in the UEFA Cup and Primera Liga last season, added: "You can have the best players but not the best team. A good player can win one match but a good team can win four, five matches.

"If you have a good team you can win more matches and that's what you need to win titles."
anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:23 pm

jymbojetset wrote:Going back to the main topic of the day!

This article is worth reading, and might make take your mind of situation a bit.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/mediawatch/drilldown/MW6246040621-0912.htm

What a legend the fella is who tuck the time in writing this article.  I for one is ****** off with all this speculation about Gerrard doing one to the russian t w a t's boat. 

What is it with the british media, just because Gerrard says he's not happy they come up with all this trifle.   

Is there a Liverpool fan out there who was happy with what the club acchived last season. Nahhhhhhhhhhh so ****** off ya gang off peasants.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:29 pm

chelsea already have duff, robben, lampard, parker, makelele, cole, petit, geremi, deco. where the hell are they going to play all theses players? you can't keep them all happy.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby blind » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:37 pm

i would expect a mass sale or most of them going out on loan.
http://www.footballbadgers.com

My eyes are blind but I can see, The snowflakes glisten on the tree(s) The sun no longer sets me free I feel the snowflakes freezing me.

BS vol 4
blind
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby begintoend » Mon Jun 21, 2004 12:37 pm

I am sure SG isn't going Chelski.....
Even if there is a huge clearout on the above players under Ranieri's regime
begintoend
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:01 pm

John Bull is swearing blind that Gerrard is going.

He says that mates of his in Portugal have allegedly heard Stevie's dad telling people that Stevie is on his way.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby JBG » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:16 pm

That article is pure conjencture: its merely the writer's opinion.

I don't know who to believe but JohnBull is prepared to put his house on Gerrard leaving for Chelsea.

I think Peter Kenyon is a major problem now in football: he was a dick for the Scum and now he's a thousand times worse for Chelsea.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby taff » Mon Jun 21, 2004 2:20 pm

I hate Kenyon
Do you reckon Lampard talking about how he'd love to lay with SG whilst in a major international tournament should be allowed.  This is tapping a player openly in public

Bad enough with Sven going on about champions league players i.e. Rooney leave if you want a career internationally but Lampard has openly invited Gerrard to join another club.
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 21, 2004 4:25 pm

Who was the last Liverpool player to leave the club at his peak for another english team ?

If you can't find the answer perhaps if Gerrard moves to Chelsea it will mark another turning point in the decline of our club.
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby jimmyb » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:40 pm

I was told today that LFC are not putting stevie g,s name on the back of new shirts it was supposedly heard on radio city. any body know if this is true?
jimmyb

Postby Santa » Mon Jun 21, 2004 6:50 pm

An article in Echo reported that StevieG has already made up his mind on his move to Chelsea. I believe it is no longer a rumour and we WILL start next season without him. Question is how much we will collect from Roman? £30M is too low for a player of his caliber. However if Parker and/or Cole is thrown into the deal, then it is more realistic.

p.s I will take £20M + Parker & Duff ...
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sean » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:53 pm

Did you see Lampard with his arm around Gerrard during the anthem before the game ?  If he wants to play alongside Gerrard that badly why doesn't he phone Benitz and lok for a move to anfield ?
Every Single Ball
Sean
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:17 pm

Its hard to know who to believe.

The Mirror have said today that Liverpool will force Gerrard to put in a written transfer request if he wants to leave but the Mirror have been caught with their pants down in a major way lately, haven't they? (i.e. forged photographs).

I guess we'll know for sure in a few weeks, but either way the next month or so could be a very uncomfortable time for Liverpool supporters.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 115-1073096938 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:17 am

I'm already resigned to the fact he's leaving.

If he stays then so be it, but i think if we prepare as if he's not going to be here then it will soften the blow.

If he does leave it will increase the responsibilities of Hamann and Kewell and i have 100% confidence in both of these players. I think they can both improve this season.

I would love to see Thomas Rosicky at the club, a player i've liked for ages but never really considered a realistic target... who knows?

I think out of the two Owen is now the most likely to stay. I genuinely believe that whoever comes and goes will be in the best interests of the club. Benitez has my trust and faith already, (right or wrong).
115-1073096938

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion