Steven Gerrard thread - Stevie G topics: please post here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby A.B. » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:25 am

Michael Owen said several times he was close to signing a new contract with LFC but never did and ended up going to Real Madrid. Steven Gerrard may not be like Michael Owen but these days it's hard to trust footballers as the money grabs their attention more than anything.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby L-type » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:11 am

Stevie has always been different than Owen, though i didn't blame owen for leaving and I wouldn't blame Gerrard either.
"I get bored quickly and like to change things — except my wife!”                   - Cisse
We all dream of a team of Sissoko's!! All 15 of them !!
L-type
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpool_4_life » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:20 am

Steven Gerrard has tonight reiterated his desire for success at Liverpool through the acquisition of new players and has also firmly stated his own commitment to the club.

During the summer the in form midfielder changed his mind on a possible move, stating he would stay and that he expected to see 4 or 5 top quality signings.

Morientes has stated publicly his desire to join the Reds, a move that would be welcomed by the captain. Speaking to Sky Sports this evening Gerrard said "He is a great player and scores in the league and cup competitions and in the Champions League"

"I don't think he can play this season, but if we are able to get him then we get a great player.

"We have Spanish coaches and players, we have four of them already they will help him settle." said Gerrard.

"We have a great team spirit here and I am sure if he did come then he would settle well."

When quizzed about plans of his own future Gerrard had this to say; "I am signed here for this season and another two, there is no situation it always happens at this time of the year,"

He also gave a resounding "Yes" when asked was he going to stay at Anfield
liverpool_4_life

Postby murphy0151 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:55 am

liverpool_4_life wrote:Steven Gerrard has tonight reiterated his desire for success at Liverpool through the acquisition of new players and has also firmly stated his own commitment to the club.

During the summer the in form midfielder changed his mind on a possible move, stating he would stay and that he expected to see 4 or 5 top quality signings.

Morientes has stated publicly his desire to join the Reds, a move that would be welcomed by the captain. Speaking to Sky Sports this evening Gerrard said "He is a great player and scores in the league and cup competitions and in the Champions League"

"I don't think he can play this season, but if we are able to get him then we get a great player.

"We have Spanish coaches and players, we have four of them already they will help him settle." said Gerrard.

"We have a great team spirit here and I am sure if he did come then he would settle well."

When quizzed about plans of his own future Gerrard had this to say; "I am signed here for this season and another two, there is no situation it always happens at this time of the year,"

He also gave a resounding "Yes" when asked was he going to stay at Anfield

Wheres Anfield? 

Anyone wanna buy a combine harvester? :D
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Paul C » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:20 am

John Barnes' Granny wrote:I've just merged 2 Steven Gerrard topics together.

It won't really work that well at the moment where there has been a large number of posts in each thread, but in the future I'll try to merge newly started threads into a existing thread if the new thread is substantially similar to the existing thread.

You are cleaver JBG  :cool:
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:20 am

Its obvious no ones taking much notice to this topic as 2 SG topics have been started today again :O
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:13 pm

Your wish is my command, Lyndsey  :p

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=320027&cc=4716

Gerrard insists: 'I'm happy at Anfield'

Steven Gerrard has told Liverpool he would be happy to stay at Liverpool for the rest of this season and the next two years.
The Anfield captain's exit would signify a major setback for the Merseysiders, who lost Michael Owen to Real Madrid in the summer.

The 24-year-old has been linked with Chelsea and Real Madrid, but Gerrard is eager to land a major trophy as skipper of Liverpool and has already resisted the chance to leave this year.

Chelsea looked to be on the brink of signing the England midfielder after Euro 2004, but Gerrard stated at the end of June that he would remain at Anfield for the new Barclays Premiership season.

His form has been inspirational since, moving into a more advanced midfield role over recent weeks and stunning goals against Olympiakos and Portsmouth, while also inspiring the victory over Arsenal.

'I'm signed here for this season and another two so there is no situation. There's a lot of speculation in the papers but that's not down to me,' Gerrard told Sky Sports News.

'As club captain all I want to do is help us get back up the table and into the Champions League again.

'To win a trophy as skipper would also be a dream come true.'

Gerrard challenged the club to match his ambition with their summer signings, and although they have suffered badly through injuries, new boss Rafael Benitez has kept the team in with a chance of reaching the Champions League.

Should Fernando Morientes join from Real Madrid during the transfer window, then Liverpool would be increasingly confident of finishing in the top four.

And Gerrard has urged the Anfield board to dig deep into the club's coffers and sign the Spain international next month.

The Reds are desperate to strengthen their attacking options, after French forward Djibril Cisse suffered a broken leg earlier in the season.

Morientes has already expressed a willingness to come to England, while Real have admitted they will listen to offers for the the front man.

And Gerrard is convinced the 28-year-old could help their climb up the table, in which Liverpool currently lie sixth.

'He's a great player,' said Gerrard. 'He scores goals in the league, in cup competitions and also the Champions League.'

Morientes has ironically been pushed to the fringes of the Madrid squad following Owen's arrival, improving Liverpool's prospects of securing his signature.

'I don't think he'd be able to play for us in Europe this season, but if we are able to get hold of him, we'd be getting ourselves a great player,' Gerrard added.

'Rafael Benitez knows what he wants and he knows how to strengthen the squad he's got, and if the right players become available at the right price, I'm sure we will strengthen.

'It would certainly be nice to see a few new faces in January to freshen things up.'

Gerrard believes the 36-times capped forward would quickly make his mark on Merseyside.

'He'd have Spanish coaches, a Spanish manager and we've got three or four Spanish players here now so they'll help him settle in,' added Gerrard.

'We've got a great team spirit and I'm sure if he did come, he'd enjoy it.'
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:24 pm

Gerrard: im staying at liverpool

oh well thats him gone then lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:40 pm

Captain of soon-to-be champions league champion talks..... :D

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liv....ge.html

Stevie: I love this club

By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

STEVEN GERRARD today spoke of his pride at being voted the club's player of the year following an emotional 12 months at Anfield.

The Liverpool skipper (right) was given the accolade by the club's Official Supporters' Club, recognising his outstanding contribution in 2004 when he inspired the Reds into the Champions League.

Gerrard pipped Jamie Carragher to the honour.

After a difficult summer when the skipper considered his future at Anfield, he says it means a lot to know the fans are so supportive.

And he vowed never to put what he described as 'selfish' ambitions above those of the club he loves.

"When you receive an award which comes from the fans who pay their money to come and watch you every week it means even more than any other," said Gerrard.

"But if I've played well it's down to my teammates as much as myself.

"There have been a number of outstanding performers this year so I'm buzzing to pick up this award.

"In the position I play you have to strive for consistency and I think over the last 18 months I've managed to get that and I've been really happy with my form.

"It's definitely been that consistency which has pleased me the most, but I'm not just settling for that. I feel I can get even better and I'm working hard to improve my game even more.

"I feel there's more to come from me so I can help win the club more honours.

"The fans at this club have been great to me ever since the day I made my debut. I feel they've always been behind me and recently I know there have been some people looking for a few of them to turn against me after certain comments I have made.

"It's important to me that the supporters know I didn't say those things from a selfish point of view.

"All the comments I've made have been because I love this club so much and desperately want to be successful.

"I want us to do everything we can as a club to be winning trophies again and I want to be part of a successful Liverpool. "

Les Lawson, chairman of the Merseyside Branch of the Supporters' Club, which organised the annual event, believes the vote shows the fans are fully behind their captain.

"It was an easy choice for the supporters this year," he said..

"I think after his performances, only one player was going to win, although it's testimony to how well Jamie Carragher has played that he should be runner-up considering he missed half last season with a broken leg.

"There's been a lot of scaremongering about Stevie and we were all in a panic when the Chelsea thing happened over the summer.

"The main thing is Stevie has said he wants to stay and he's made it clear he thinks the manager should be backed to bring in the players he wants.

"Every supporter will agree with that and last night's award shows the fans are with him."
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:44 pm

We can't let the off-the-field activities overshadow the main vision and interfere with performances on the pitch. Priorities are now as follows: sort out the investment issue, so we can build a team of eleven great players and top quality in reserve, and avoid the temptation to sell Gerrard to fund rebuilding. New players arriving can only appease Stevie G. But if the speculation surrounding his departure starts to destabilize the club, we may be best to cash in; first, however, we have to try and build a side around him. :)
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Devestatin Dave (yeah) » Thu Dec 23, 2004 6:05 pm

Steven Gerrard has spoken of his pride at being named Liverpool's player of 2004 by the club's supporters. 
The Reds skipper collected his award from the Merseyside branch of the Official Supporters Club at an Anfield ceremony on Wednesday night.

It's an accolade that means an awful lot to him and one, which he's quick to point out, couldn't have been achieved without the help of his team-mates or the support of the fans.

"When you receive an award which comes from the fans who pay their money to come and watch you every week it means even more than any other," says Gerrard.

"There have been a number of outstanding performers this year so I'm buzzing to pick up this award.

"In the position I play you have to strive for consistency and I think over the last 18 months I've managed to get that and I've been really happy with my form.

"It's definitely been that consistency which has pleased me the most, but I'm not just settling for that. I feel I can get even better and I'm working hard to improve my game even more.

"The fans at this club have been great to me ever since the day I made my debut. I feel they've always been behind me and recently I know there have been some people looking for a few of them to turn against me after certain comments I have made.

"It's important to me that the supporters know I didn't say those things from a selfish point of view.

"All the comments I've made have been because I love this club so much and desperately want to be successful.

"I want us to do everything we can as a club to be winning trophies again and I want to be part of a successful Liverpool. " 

Great stuff there from Stevie there and makes me feel confident he will defo stay.

Source:Liverpool.tv
Devestatin Dave (yeah)

Postby A.B. » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:15 pm

Great stuff indeed.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 2520years » Fri Dec 24, 2004 1:40 pm

I don't see how Liverpool can satisfy Stevie G this season.

We're too far behind in the League, the Champions League isn't impossible (but is unlikely), then there's the FA Cup and League Cup.  We could win both of those and still not satisfy Stevie.

I think the key is our league position.  If we were to come third behind Chelsea and Arsenal, and win either Cup then he'd be interested in staying. :D
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby wiped » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:50 pm

Devestatin Dave (yeah) wrote:Steven Gerrard has spoken of his pride at being named Liverpool's player of 2004 by the club's supporters. 
The Reds skipper collected his award from the Merseyside branch of the Official Supporters Club at an Anfield ceremony on Wednesday night.

It's an accolade that means an awful lot to him and one, which he's quick to point out, couldn't have been achieved without the help of his team-mates or the support of the fans.

"When you receive an award which comes from the fans who pay their money to come and watch you every week it means even more than any other," says Gerrard.

Great stuff there from Stevie there and makes me feel confident he will defo stay.

Source:Liverpool.tv

In fairness , he's not going to say "I'm out of here" having just picked up an Official Supporters Club award at a Ceremony in Anfield ......

Face it , a Supporters Club Best Player Trophy V's a Premiership Winners Medal V's a Champions League Winners Medal - we all know what he really wants to acheive - and sooner rather than later.
wiped
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby anfieldadorer » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:37 pm

anfieldadorer
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion