Steven Gerrard thread - Stevie G topics: please post here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Leonmc0708 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:02 am

That article does not say that Real want to swap, it says they have enquired about first option on Stevie if we buy Morientes.

Sensationalisation by the thread starter me thinks.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:02 am

Hey, if i was good ol' rick i wouldnt by that polite about it.

Tell 'em just where they can go stick it old chap!
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Starbridge42 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:04 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:That article does not say that Real want to swap, it says they have enquired about first option on Stevie if we buy Morientes.

I wouldnt give anyone the first option on gerrard for the simple reason that if he does leave we cant then up the price with an auction
I didn't like Italy, it was like living in a foreign country - Ian Rush
'In most associations half of the committee does all the work while the other half does nothing. I am pleased to report that in this football club it is the reverse.' - Liverpool Echo
Starbridge42
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Location: The land of pixies and and elephants and little green men with purple boogers. Wow I must have eaten

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:48 am

It looks to me as though Real Madrid think they can put us over a barrel every time they negotiate with us.
I guess this comes from the past history of the McManaman and Owen transfers, where they found us to be real second raters when it comes to making a deal, they now think they can treat us with disrespect every time we come to the counter.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:58 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:That article does not say that Real want to swap, it says they have enquired about first option on Stevie if we buy Morientes.

If we were to fall for the Real Madrid ploy, that's effectively what we would allow them to create by giving them first option on SG.
It would become Morientes plus cash for Gerrard. The cheeky sod's might even try to throw in one or two more failed reserves or tired old pro's as a makeweight, so that they end up spending as little as possible.
They really think that we only capable of buying sweeties at the corner shop.
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby andy_g » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:34 am

i wouldn't worry about this piece of news - its just real trying it on. as starbridge says - if we give them first option on gerrard we lose out massively by not having other clubs competing and keeping the price up. the liverpool board aren't stupid enough to let this happen.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:37 am

Looks like the Stevie Gerrard specific thread section is working a treat :)
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redrider » Tue Dec 21, 2004 11:45 am

Redrider wrote:

The cheeky sod's might even try to throw in one or two more failed reserves or tired old pro's as a makeweight, so that they end up spending as little as possible.

Just had a thought, they might even think that they could include the return of MO in a deal with us providing SG and some cash !!  :D   :D
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:37 pm

I would give SG to them if they can pay 100 B plus Morientes
LiverpoolMadman

Postby The_Rock » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:08 pm

:D

http://www.people.co.uk/sport....ge.html

GERRARD: I WANT TO STAY AT KOP!

Reds skipper gives Benitez hishis pledgepledge LIVERPOOL PULL CHRISTMAS CRACKER ... STEVIE WONDER IS GOING NOWHERE

LIVERPOOL skipper Steven Gerrard has told boss Rafael Benitez: I want to STAY at Anfield.

With speculation raging about the future of the 24-year-old midfield powerhouse, Benitez calmed the fears of Anfield fans by revealing the details of a conversation with Gerrard at the club's Christmas lunch.

Said Benitez: "I said to Steven that I was sure he wanted to stay here - and he said 'I do.'

"I then said to him 'look, if you want to win titles, you want medals and you want Liverpool to have these things then I am going to need your help.'

"I really think he wants to stay so now what we must do is make the squad stronger for him.

"If you want to win games you need big players - but if you want to win titles then you need a big squad.

"We are working now with the idea of a creating a big squad with a strong mentality. If we do that and keep our best players like Gerrard and Xabi Alonso, then we can win games and titles.''

Manchester United have already given up hope of nicking Gerrard. Sir Alex ferguson admitted last night: ''The boy just won't come here.''

While Manchester United were arguably stronger after offloading David Beckham and Everton have thrived since selling Wayne Rooney, Benitez admits that Liverpool would never be better off without Gerrard. Benitez added: "We need to build for the future and hopefully with Gerrard here we can achieve what we want. What I do know is that we wouldn't be better without him because he is so important to us. We want him to stay here for 10 years winning titles. He makes the difference for us, as we have seen in recent games.

"We created two or three clear opportunities against Olympiakos and Portsmouth but at the end we needed Gerrard scoring the goals and that shows how important he is to us.

"We need to get a lot of good players around Stevie. I want him to score 12 or 15 goals a season, not six or seven, because he has the potential to do that."

Benitez believes Gerrard was too honest when quizzed about his future before the Champions League win over Olympiakos recently. The Anfield skipper said that Liverpool had to show clear signs of becoming a title-winning side or he would be off.

"Really what Steven wants is to win with this club and we will try because with him it will be easier," said Benitez.

"But he is not the only player who wants to win, all the players here want to win titles." While poor results against Everton and Portsmouth have been huge setbacks after wins against Arsenal and Olympiakos, Benitez is not panicking.

"I don't feel under any special pressure here. All the Premiership managers feel pressure but it is the same everywhere," he said.

"It is a fantastic job but you need to know that the supporters, the board and the media always want more.

"If you are afraid you can transmit that fear to your players and they can get nervous. If you stay calm they will stay calm too."
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:44 pm

To be fair, our bid of £3.5m probably set the tone for a bit of tit-for-tat on the p*ss-taking front.

I don't blame Real for trying, but I'd like to think we can tie this up for something like £6m, with no strings whatsoever attached. Maybe £7m if they'll take Diao off our hands. :laugh:
ivor_the_injun

Postby JBG » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:09 am

I've just merged 2 Steven Gerrard topics together.

It won't really work that well at the moment where there has been a large number of posts in each thread, but in the future I'll try to merge newly started threads into a existing thread if the new thread is substantially similar to the existing thread.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby liverpool_4_life » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:12 am

Liverpool skipper Steven Gerrard today insisted that he will not be leaving the club despite the ongoing speculation surrounding his future.

"I am signed here for this season and another two, there is no situation, it always happens at this time of the year," said the player in response to the rumours that he could be on his way in the summer.

Asked if he would be staying at Anfield for the foreseeable future, Gerrard said: "Yes".
----
that will ding dang do me  :D
liverpool_4_life

Postby the great one » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:21 am

Look at the top of the forums there is already a Gerrard thread but just because he says his staying doesn't mean he will  :glare:
''I know Mourinho likes to tell people that he is the European champion manager but he's not now. That belongs to Benitez. '' Jamie Carragher
the great one
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby liverpool_4_life » Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:22 am

encouraging thow, kept his word start of this season, so looks like he "might" give us one more season
liverpool_4_life

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion