STEVEN GERRARD - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:32 am

NANNY RED » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:59 pm wrote:I for one am absolutely devastated Yeh I know he's not the same Steven that we had but as far as I concerned still had something to offer if Brendan played him right. One of the best I've ever seen an ive seen a few .

I'm totally gutted. Total legend, it would have been great to see him move into a supporting role the way Giggs has at United. I can understand his need to see the world for a while, I just hope we see him back at the club in a few years.

'"It has been a privilege to represent you, as a player and as captain. I have cherished every second of it and it is my sincere wish to finish this season and my Liverpool career on a high."
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:53 am

Walk on Legend  :buttrock

But come back soon very soon
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:31 pm

Fantastic opportunity for Gerrard and his young family in America and don't blame him at all.

In truth his contribution at Liverpool is on a downward curve now and its only natural, but with the excitement of a new venture we may possibly
get a much better last few months out of him now than we would have done.

Outstanding player and a Liverpool great but there is life in football after playing so he will be back at Anfield Im sure or doing TV work where we
will actually get to see more of his personality like with Carragher.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:33 pm

To be honest it suits our owners too.  They've just seen how crazy the USA have gone for Lampard cos football is on the up over there.  When they announce gerrard going there they will be set to make a Sh*t load from in.  They're cashing in on this.  As for Stevie its a good move.  He'll get a few years over there.
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:39 pm

It's sad when you hear the news. But I would say it's the right time for both him and club. The club needs to move on. And he deserves to earn more in the US. I just hope that when he's done with his playing career he'll come back to LFC and work as a coach or assistant manager or in some sort of capacity...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:24 pm

We all saw it coming, be it this year or next. Sentiments echoed on here sum it up already. I can't imagine the team without his spirit but all things must pass.

For those talking about Giggsy, I appreciate that opinion, but I think that having a little distance and then coming back in isn't such a bad thing either, especially given all the things that he's seen in the last 10-15 yrs. I really hope that we see Carra do the same and they come back together on the coaching staff. I can't believe that neither of them aren't a little disillusioned by all that happened, much the same as I can't imagine them not having an active role in the game rather than just sitting in the studio talking about it. Perhaps the time away allows things to pass for them to come back.

Could be the start of the 21st century boot room if it does.
Homebooby

Postby fivecups » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Homebooby » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:24 pm wrote:We all saw it coming, be it this year or next. Sentiments echoed on here sum it up already. I can't imagine the team without his spirit but all things must pass.

For those talking about Giggsy, I appreciate that opinion, but I think that having a little distance and then coming back in isn't such a bad thing either, especially given all the things that he's seen in the last 10-15 yrs. I really hope that we see Carra do the same and they come back together on the coaching staff. I can't believe that neither of them aren't a little disillusioned by all that happened, much the same as I can't imagine them not having an active role in the game rather than just sitting in the studio talking about it. Perhaps the time away allows things to pass for them to come back.

Could be the start of the 21st century boot room if it does.

Great post and yes, you make a good point Homebooby. I think a period away would be good for him, I just want him to see him come back in some capacity.

Just thinking back on his career, he's given us some amazing moments. I remember him tracking back and tackling Dennis Irwin in about 99-00, his energy and determination were unbelievable. That was 15 years ago and he still got named in the PFA team of the year last season. I know the time is right, but he's been my favorite player and the best I've ever seen in a Red shirt. A genius.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Octsky » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:35 pm

i feel that we have not just lost a good player but a little bit of our heart and soul too.
hope to see stevie return in some role or capacity for the club in the future,
will miss him.
Octsky
LFC Super Member

Postby Doeboy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:06 pm

Octsky » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:35 pm wrote:i feel that we have not just lost a good player but a little bit of our heart and soul too.
will miss him.

Yes get the same feeling. I would love to see another local kid (or even a couple) come through our ranks and become a mainstay in the team. Always seems to mean so much more to them and provide the heart beat to the team. Rossiter still young and the lad needs to be given time to fill out a bit more physically, but would be great to see him coming off the bench a bit more for small spells.

Foreign players are all good and well, but nothing beats seeing a young local lad make it. For example, only yesterday saw Kane for spurs yesterday on motd and you could tell he had the spark from coming through the ranks and finally having made it to the first team and doing well. Generally seems to mean more for players who have come through the ranks
Doeboy

Postby bunglemark2 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:38 pm

Doeboy » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:06 pm wrote:
Octsky » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:35 pm wrote:i feel that we have not just lost a good player but a little bit of our heart and soul too.
will miss him.

Yes get the same feeling. I would love to see another local kid (or even a couple) come through our ranks and become a mainstay in the team. Always seems to mean so much more to them and provide the heart beat to the team. Rossiter still young and the lad needs to be given time to fill out a bit more physically, but would be great to see him coming off the bench a bit more for small spells.

Foreign players are all good and well, but nothing beats seeing a young local lad make it. For example, only yesterday saw Kane for spurs yesterday on motd and you could tell he had the spark from coming through the ranks and finally having made it to the first team and doing well. Generally seems to mean more for players who have come through the ranks

Good point...don't know if there's anyone in the youth squad who fits that profile though...
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby glenbuck patriot » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:36 pm

Been a member on here for a while, I post very little, but always log on to see everyone else's views, have to say today is a SAD day for this Football Club from a purely footballing perspective, to me it ranks amongst the days like the Great Bill Shankly's retirement being announced, Stevie's had a lot of detractors lately especially on this forum, I for one am sorry to see him finally hang up his boots at Anfield, but wish him and his Family all the best for the Future, wherever he decides to ply his trade next. To paraphrase Richard Keyes after the final in Istanbul " You may never see his likes again"
Pirrie Labour Club 1976 Bill Shankly Prize giving at local ABA Championships.

"You've been booked in to do a three round exhibition bout tonight Bill."

" My fights don't last three rounds SON!"
glenbuck patriot

Postby crazyhorse » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:56 pm

Legend. No less. Gets in my all time 11 be it for Lfc, Epl or in world football. Steven Gerrard has the passing ability of Hoddle, the power of Mattheus, finishing ability of Rush, tackles like Souness and probably moves like Jagger into the bargain!
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:29 pm

Upsetting to see him go, but the time couldn't be more right. Just like Carragher you could see Gerrard struggling to keep up with the pace of these young players of today. He'll always be a legend to this club like King Kenny and The God..

It's just heartbreaking that we never had a manager that was tactical enough to help him achieve a league winners medal. He has stayed loyal through all the goods and all the bads and I'll respect and love him forever for that.

Hope he comes back in some capacity in the future. .
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby Shanks Forever » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Better than Dalglish I'm, as the greatest player. Kenny played in a team.of other top players, he never carried the team single handedly for a decade like stevie boy.
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

Postby Shanks Forever » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:37 pm

Better than Dalglish I'm, as the greatest player. Kenny played in a team.of other top players, he never carried the team single handedly for a decade like stevie boy.

Shame that throughout his career, he, like Fowler and Owen, never won a league title their whole careers.

Shame that.
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion