Steven Gerrard article from the official site - "Winning the derby is more important"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 112-1077774096 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 3:34 am

can anybody actually expect gerrard to say anything different, of course in public he will not bad mouth the manager, but we do not know what is being said in private.

gerrard is angry about the decision, he is hurt by the decision and i would imagine he still is despite his words to the contrary on the official site.
112-1077774096

Postby RedBlood » Tue Oct 23, 2007 4:09 am

its a team game

no player is bigger then the team, its that simple

for gerrard to react in any other way than he has would be selfish
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:44 am

Typical...from todays Mirror (as well as most of the tabloids)

Gerrard's agony at derby snub
By David Anderson 23/10/2007

Steven Gerrard (DM)

Steven Gerrard last night demanded answers from manager Rafa Benitez after being left 'hurt and disappointed' at being hauled off in the Merseyside derby.

The Liverpool skipper revealed his dismay when his number was held up at Goodison Park and requested talks with Benitez at the Reds' Melwood training ground yesterday.

Gerrard is still reeling from the shock of his substitution - which angered fans and left his team-mates bewildered.

He said: "I'm a local lad so the derby is really important to me and I would have liked nothing better than to play the full game and to be on the pitch when we got the winner.

Advertisement"I was hurt and disappointed at being taken off because, like I said, I'm a local lad and the derby means everything to me."

Benitez said he replaced Gerrard for the bizarre reason that he was playing with "too much passion" and that Liverpool needed to make better use of the ball against Everton's 10 men.

It was one of the biggest calls of Benitez's Anfield reign and his gamble paid off when Gerrard's replacement, rookie Lucas Leiva, won the penalty for the Reds' winning goal.

Gerrard accepts he is not untouchable and understands that Benitez felt he was acting in the best interests of the team.

He added: "I've been in the game long enough to know that no one is going to play every minute of every game and there will be times when I'm taken off like everyone else.

"The most important thing is we won the game. When we lost there last season, it left a bad feeling that didn't go away for quite some time, so it's good to get that out of our systems."

Benitez stands by his ruthless decision to haul off his best player, saying he will get over it.

He said: "We have talked because every player would be disappointed, especially Gerrard because it was a derby.

"He wanted to score the winning goal, but he is OK.

"After some time he'll understand I was thinking about what was best for the team."

Gerrard will return for Liverpool's crunch Champions League clash with Besiktas tomorrow in Istanbul. The Reds need a win after taking just one point from their opening two games.

They will be boosted by the return from injury of Fernando Torres (thigh) and Xabi Alonso (broken metatarsal) and the two Spaniards were expected to be on the team's flight to Turkey this morning.

So they have taken his interview, taken the part where he said he wasnt happy with the decision, but ignored the fact that he complimented Lucas and said that he wont be banging on the managers door. I know it was to be expeceted but it is so annoying.

:angry:

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:48 am

Ace Ventura wrote:Typical...from todays Mirror (as well as most of the tabloids)

Gerrard's agony at derby snub
By David Anderson 23/10/2007

Steven Gerrard (DM)

Steven Gerrard last night demanded answers from manager Rafa Benitez after being left 'hurt and disappointed' at being hauled off in the Merseyside derby.

The Liverpool skipper revealed his dismay when his number was held up at Goodison Park and requested talks with Benitez at the Reds' Melwood training ground yesterday.

Gerrard is still reeling from the shock of his substitution - which angered fans and left his team-mates bewildered.

He said: "I'm a local lad so the derby is really important to me and I would have liked nothing better than to play the full game and to be on the pitch when we got the winner.

Advertisement"I was hurt and disappointed at being taken off because, like I said, I'm a local lad and the derby means everything to me."

Benitez said he replaced Gerrard for the bizarre reason that he was playing with "too much passion" and that Liverpool needed to make better use of the ball against Everton's 10 men.

It was one of the biggest calls of Benitez's Anfield reign and his gamble paid off when Gerrard's replacement, rookie Lucas Leiva, won the penalty for the Reds' winning goal.

Gerrard accepts he is not untouchable and understands that Benitez felt he was acting in the best interests of the team.

He added: "I've been in the game long enough to know that no one is going to play every minute of every game and there will be times when I'm taken off like everyone else.

"The most important thing is we won the game. When we lost there last season, it left a bad feeling that didn't go away for quite some time, so it's good to get that out of our systems."

Benitez stands by his ruthless decision to haul off his best player, saying he will get over it.

He said: "We have talked because every player would be disappointed, especially Gerrard because it was a derby.

"He wanted to score the winning goal, but he is OK.

"After some time he'll understand I was thinking about what was best for the team."

Gerrard will return for Liverpool's crunch Champions League clash with Besiktas tomorrow in Istanbul. The Reds need a win after taking just one point from their opening two games.

They will be boosted by the return from injury of Fernando Torres (thigh) and Xabi Alonso (broken metatarsal) and the two Spaniards were expected to be on the team's flight to Turkey this morning.

So they have taken his interview, taken the part where he said he wasnt happy with the decision, but ignored the fact that he complimented Lucas and said that he wont be banging on the managers door. I know it was to be expeceted but it is so annoying.

:angry:

:D

Just goes to show how much sh.it these papers can write when they spin things the wrong way.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:14 am

Ace says

Indeedy. Notice how the part that says he's hurt, has  a long introduction to it, to drill the idea in the reader's brain. When he quotes Gerrard saying the important thing is to win the game, though, the journo makes no introduction to the quote, it's better to pass by this words.

The worst thing Ace, is that this messages do have an audience. Andy Gray's remarks in TV do have an influence aswell. Watching the derby with Spanish commentators that have not antiLiverpool bias, is refreshing for a change (I usually watch them in english, but this one was broadcasted in Spain)

The journos are the ones that write headlines, not Rafa. They're the ones that highlight a substitution, not an away win. They're the ones that choose to talk about rotation, and they're the ones to forget about rotation when they have a better story to stir the shít with it.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:36 am

Also notice how the "journalist" writes that Gerrard was "hauled off" instead of just being substituted. There's no doubt about what he's going for: sensationalism. Really hate the gutter press :angry:
JamCar05

Postby burjennio » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:40 am

The Stars the same kind of garbage, Im not even gonna post it up here, tabloids and sensationalistic journalism in general have really started to get on my nerves lately, there was a time when it was funny but now every little thing is hyped into a frenzy, and the sad thing is people buy into it, hook, line and :censored: sinker
burjennio

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:55 am

Sabre wrote:Ace says

Indeedy. Notice how the part that says he's hurt, has  a long introduction to it, to drill the idea in the reader's brain. When he quotes Gerrard saying the important thing is to win the game, though, the journo makes no introduction to the quote, it's better to pass by this words.

The worst thing Ace, is that this messages do have an audience. Andy Gray's remarks in TV do have an influence aswell. Watching the derby with Spanish commentators that have not antiLiverpool bias, is refreshing for a change (I usually watch them in english, but this one was broadcasted in Spain)

The journos are the ones that write headlines, not Rafa. They're the ones that highlight a substitution, not an away win. They're the ones that choose to talk about rotation, and they're the ones to forget about rotation when they have a better story to stir the shít with it.

This may seem like a daft question but sometimes why dont they just post the actual truth ?
Sure it may not be controversial but most football supporters would still want to read what Gerrard actually had to say about his feelings about what went on.
I may be being naive about it, but normal news is still worth reading rather than stories being twisted to try and cause problems for clubs.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:05 am

Unfortunately it's the way the news media work nowadays mate. Journalists have to have their "own" angle on every single story, and apparently the most sellable angle on this particular story is to try and make up a rift between our manager and our captain. Really is fecking annoying though, as I agree with you that most people would just like to know the actual truth. The sad thing is that many people believe these stories, as they read them in the paper, and thus they most be true.
JamCar05

Postby Sabre » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:13 am

Ace asks to newkit
This may seem like a daft question but sometimes why dont they just post the actual truth ?
Sure it may not be controversial but most football supporters would still want to read what Gerrard actually had to say about his feelings about what went on.
I may be being naive about it, but normal news is still worth reading rather than stories being twisted to try and cause problems for clubs.

Bad mouthings sells more than the truth. And they need to sell papers

What kind of articles do you think I read here about Real Madrid, the ones saying they're working ok? No, I just read from the start to the end the ones that talk about their crisis, squabbles, and problems, that are the ones I like to read! :D

Bear in mind that a tabloid is read not only by Liverpool fans but by a Fulham supporter, he doesn't need to read the truth, that we're a great club, he needs to read we have loads of troubles so he feels comforted and can go to his work not even more fustrated!

Honestly, we have people that know much better than me the media and can give you a serious answer, but I think that just like bad news travel fast, the littlest problem in our club will travel fast and will be magnified by one houndred.
Last edited by Sabre on Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:19 am

JamCar05 wrote:Unfortunately it's the way the news media work nowadays mate. Journalists have to have their "own" angle on every single story, and apparently the most sellable angle on this particular story is to try and make up a rift between our manager and our captain. Really is fecking annoying though, as I agree with you that most people would just like to know the actual truth. The sad thing is that many people believe these stories, as they read them in the paper, and thus they most be true.

Well the correct story is in the post and will be in tonights Echo, so the people in this city will know the truth. But the rest of the country wont and although alot wont care there are thousands of supporters of our club from all over the country.
I know its been going on for years and far far worse than this, its just sometimes it seems petty and pointless. As i said people would still be interested to read what Steven had to say, but the only think is there is nothing else really to write about the issue tomorrow the day after and so on.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:29 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Well the correct story is in the post and will be in tonights Echo, so the people in this city will know the truth.

Aint there a certain 'dark' irony about that particular statement...

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:33 pm

red37 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:Well the correct story is in the post and will be in tonights Echo, so the people in this city will know the truth.

Explain...not really onto it mate  ???

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:49 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:
red37 wrote:

Tabloids..truth...get me.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Tue Oct 23, 2007 12:51 pm

red37 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
red37 wrote:

Tabloids..truth...get me.

Still no...i have been drinking too much lately so my heads a bit scatty  :D

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion