STEVEN GERRARD - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:19 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:46 pm wrote:Rodgers said today they offered him a player/coaching role but he wasn't interested.
Some of the papers are reporting that Gerrard will be offered a similar mega bucks deal to the one Beckham got when he went stateside so it's understandable that he wants to go.

YC, a lot of the last few pages concern salaries etc. While I'm sure that matters, as it would to any of us, particularly as we know Gerrard needs to feel valued (Carra discusses in his excellent Daily Mail article), I just don't get the feeling that's the driving influence behind his decision making. If anything it seems to be more about playing time, being the leader, the captain, the first name on the team-sheet; his family (it sounds like America was attractive from that point of view); his need to get out and look from the outside-in for a while etc. etc.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:31 am

Daniele De Rossi idolised him 'It is never normal for me to play against Gerrard,' De Rossi said after the game. 'It always gets me emotional, I won’t deny it. Of course, on the field you’ve got to get stuck in there, but it is always a pleasure and an honour. He’s also a very nice guy, always very approachable.I cheered on Liverpool until the end, but they lost the Premier League title in an incredible way. Players like Gerrard, Andrea Pirlo, Frank Lampard, Xavi or Iniesta never go past the apex of their careers.'

“Steven Gerrard has always been my idol,” he said. “For the last 10 years, he has been amongst the best in the world. He is here, he is there. Attacking, defending. I would love to be able to play close to his level. He is the ultimate midfielder.”

Marchisio “Del Piero has always been my idol - a legend. In my own position, I was crazy about Steven Gerrard,"
"I remember in the Champions League final comeback by Liverpool against AC Milan, you saw him up front, on the wings and a moment later he was back, marking the playmaker. I have never seen such a complete midfielder."
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:58 am

I think when you look back and understand the type of player he is you can see where he is coming from all he wants is to play football and be in all the games. I still think he could of done that at our club but the club don't think he can. he don't wish to face us when he leaves to he has to go to America. he will only be there for a year or two. I don't see him fitting in there much. I bet he is back at the club in a role in the next few years
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:51 pm

He's been a fantastic servant to Liverpool FC.

The time is right for him to explore his options of which I am sure there are many. His age is catching with him and I do not want to see him end his incredible career at Liverpool being constantly criticised for poor performances. That's not having a go at anybody. I for one certainly noticed the difference when he didn't play against Swansea. He still does remarkable things. Unfortunately though he just doesn't do them anything like as often as he used to  :(

Good luck and best wishes to SG and his family. Thank you for the memories. Hopefully there will be a few more before you leave.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:00 pm

lakes10 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:58 am wrote:I think when you look back and understand the type of player he is you can see where he is coming from all he wants is to play football and be in all the games. I still think he could of done that at our club but the club don't think he can. he don't wish to face us when he leaves to he has to go to America. he will only be there for a year or two. I don't see him fitting in there much. I bet he is back at the club in a role in the next few years

I agree Lakes and I think he'll take him up a role in the Club in the next few years. I could see working in the Academy initially. Interesting what Carra said about the longer your away the less you think about going back, although I think they are very different characters.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:14 pm

it was strange with Carra, when Kenny was there it looked like he was getting ready to be a manager , getting  his badge and all that stuff, he was give a roll on the bench when he was not fit and was involved in the team talks, as soon as Kenny left he seemed to be more keen on the sky job.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Shanks Forever » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:29 pm

lakes10 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:14 pm wrote:it was strange with Carra, when Kenny was there it looked like he was getting ready to be a manager , getting  his badge and all that stuff, he was give a roll on the bench when he was not fit and was involved in the team talks, as soon as Kenny left he seemed to be more keen on the sky job.

Maybe it could be a Carra/ stevie management team in a few years time.
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:52 am

Most players don't seem all that interested in management anymore.  Managers get sacked too easily so why bother tarnish your reputation.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:05 pm

jacdaniel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:52 am wrote:Most players don't seem all that interested in management anymore.  Managers get sacked too easily so why bother tarnish your reputation.

Gerrard will manage this club in the future, I'm 100% certain of that. It might be in 5 years time or it might be 25 years time but it will happen. I remember when everyone was going on about how Carragher is a student of the game and how he is taking his coaching badges but I said then he won't be the one managing this club, Gerrard will.
Players don't usually get their 'props' until after about 5 years after they've retired, by then the inevitable decline at the end of their career is forgotten and fans/media etc only remember their heyday. Players then become better and better as the years go by, by the time they are 70 even average players are regarded as legends.
Well people are widely calling Steven Gerrard the best player ever to play for this club right now right in the middle of his decline, when he is actually regarded as a defensive liability so you can just imagine how lauded he will be as time goes by. By the time he is 45 he will be the best midfielder ever to play the game and by the time he is 55 people will be telling stories of him being ten foot tall and breathing fire. He will become a Shankly type figure to this club.
I have said it often and it's true, in 100 years time their will be Liverpool fans of the future watching grainy images of Gerrard scoring wonder goals and reading about how he turned down the worlds best clubs and the riches of Solomon to stay here with tears in their eyes.
The lad has written his name in the stars at this club.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby leeroy74 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:25 pm

I agree with everything you said there apart from the grainy images,  this is the digital age, the pictures will be crystal clear as they are today!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:05 pm wrote:
jacdaniel » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:52 am wrote:Most players don't seem all that interested in management anymore.  Managers get sacked too easily so why bother tarnish your reputation.

Gerrard will manage this club in the future, I'm 100% certain of that. It might be in 5 years time or it might be 25 years time but it will happen. I remember when everyone was going on about how Carragher is a student of the game and how he is taking his coaching badges but I said then he won't be the one managing this club, Gerrard will.
Players don't usually get their 'props' until after about 5 years after they've retired, by then the inevitable decline at the end of their career is forgotten and fans/media etc only remember their heyday. Players then become better and better as the years go by, by the time they are 70 even average players are regarded as legends.
Well people are widely calling Steven Gerrard the best player ever to play for this club right now right in the middle of his decline, when he is actually regarded as a defensive liability so you can just imagine how lauded he will be as time goes by. By the time he is 45 he will be the best midfielder ever to play the game and by the time he is 55 people will be telling stories of him being ten foot tall and breathing fire. He will become a Shankly type figure to this club.
I have said it often and it's true, in 100 years time their will be Liverpool fans of the future watching grainy images of Gerrard scoring wonder goals and reading about how he turned down the worlds best clubs and the riches of Solomon to stay here with tears in their eyes.
The lad has written his name in the stars at this club.

Ha, good post, although I'm not sure once Gerrard gets out of the cauldron that he'll want to get back in.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Shanks Forever » Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:59 pm

He showed yet again tonight, that even just 50% of the real Stevie G is better than the rest of our team.
Why BR says he won't play much is a mystery, as we have no other options. Even if he don't do it for 90 mins, just one flash of magic is Wat he can do.
The rest are hopeless.
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

Postby Reg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:51 am

Future fans will purely see his heroics and wonderful goals on you tube and see him as a Boy's Own character.

A great section of the supporters will see him as the home grown lad who stood by the club and held us together through poor club ownership, poor management (Evans, Houllier and Rafa all had bad periods, Hodgson never had a good period....) and periods when some of his team mates were way below both his own level and that expected by the club. 

I will respect him for his devotion to the club and his season changing goals. I will always wonder however what he could have been if he hadn't killed off his own career by staying with Liverpool. He could have been captain of Real Madrid, Barcelona. Bayern Munich, Milan, Manchester United or Chelsea. He could have won numerous titles in any league, 10 CL's if he wanted and had an international club career that outshone any Zidane, Pirlo, Totti etc..  He under achieved. And if he had gone, he would have forced Liverpool to respond and maybe we wouldn't be in the position we find ourselves today.
I'm glad he stayed and he and Kenny will forever be the two most influential players to have ever played for the club, but I'll always wonder what he could have been if he'd reached for the sky.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:07 am

He's my hero

He's our current top goal scorer, our leader ,talisman and current best player.

It hurts like hell.
Kopite-Jud

Postby Reg » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:25 am

No it doesn't.

The Leicester game was another indication that his open play value is below what we need to be successful. Putting Henderson out wide to accommodate Stevie effectively put Hendo out of the game. Hendo and Lucas can play better than SG/LL or SG/Hendo so we're at the stage where the lad is actually holding us back now. Sure he can still spray the ball out wide with pinpoint accuracy but he's lost that same yard of pace that both Carra and Sammi lost and cost us games in the same way. Time to move on and ring in the future.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion