STEVEN GERRARD - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Boocity » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:59 pm

I agree yakka, he has been and always will be a legend for this club and it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to play a bit part as Lampard is doing for city. It's the right time for him to go, best of luck to him and I hope he enjoys a couple more years in a league he can continue to enjoy his football in.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:35 pm

4 year deal LA Galaxy by all accounts
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:55 pm

Boocity » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:59 pm wrote:I agree yakka, he has been and always will be a legend for this club and it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to play a bit part as Lampard is doing for city. It's the right time for him to go, best of luck to him and I hope he enjoys a couple more years in a league he can continue to enjoy his football in.

The club offered him a job as a player/coach but he wasn't interested as he thought the role might impinge on the amount of game time he gets. Most people would consider playing for Liverpool their entire career and then going on the coaching staff at 35 a dream scenario but he obviously wants to continue playing for as long as possible.
Can't blame him for that I suppose, once you're retired you are retired for ever and he's in the privileged position of knowing the door will always be open for him at Anfield so you can see why he's in no rush to hang them up.
From the clubs point of view though Gerrard is a fading force and has been for a while now, there's no way they could make him an integral part of the starting XI for the next 2 years and still expect to be challenging for the top honours in the game. The only way this situation would work is if Gerrard would be prepared to become a bit part player like Giggs/Scholes/Lampard etc but he doesn't want that.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:43 pm

I don't think its the last we have seen him at the club after this.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Been absolute ***** for years. Glad to see the back of him !!!!!!!!!

Gotcha !!!
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:32 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Jan 3rd, '15, 15:55 wrote:
Boocity » Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:59 pm wrote:I agree yakka, he has been and always will be a legend for this club and it's pretty obvious he doesn't want to play a bit part as Lampard is doing for city. It's the right time for him to go, best of luck to him and I hope he enjoys a couple more years in a league he can continue to enjoy his football in.

The club offered him a job as a player/coach but he wasn't interested as he thought the role might impinge on the amount of game time he gets. Most people would consider playing for Liverpool their entire career and then going on the coaching staff at 35 a dream scenario but he obviously wants to continue playing for as long as possible.
Can't blame him for that I suppose, once you're retired you are retired for ever and he's in the privileged position of knowing the door will always be open for him at Anfield so you can see why he's in no rush to hang them up.
From the clubs point of view though Gerrard is a fading force and has been for a while now, there's no way they could make him an integral part of the starting XI for the next 2 years and still expect to be challenging for the top honours in the game. The only way this situation would work is if Gerrard would be prepared to become a bit part player like Giggs/Scholes/Lampard etc but he doesn't want that.

I'm not sure he was offered anything like a player / coach type of role, that would imo not be a good idea anyway. He was definitely offered less wages and limited playing time which is not what he was looking for. Besides, I don't think he has the badges right now!

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:46 pm

Rodgers said today they offered him a player/coaching role but he wasn't interested.
Some of the papers are reporting that Gerrard will be offered a similar mega bucks deal to the one Beckham got when he went stateside so it's understandable that he wants to go.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Shanks Forever » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:36 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:46 pm wrote:Rodgers said today they offered him a player/coaching role but he wasn't interested.

I doubt he wants to work in a coaching role with BR to be honest.

After last season's disappointment and the departure of Suarez,  stevie has prob had enough, and knows he now will.not win a league title before his lfc career is up. It's unfortunate.
He will Def be back tho.
Be hard for him to handle a move abroad tho, as lfc is all he has ever known.
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

Postby C-R » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:34 pm

Official interview with Stevie here https://vid.me/qCXE

Pretty bloody hard to watch at times, very emotional  :(
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Doeboy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:58 pm

Such a tough decision for Gerrard. Does sound as though he wanted to stay but the fact he was no longer guaranteed a starting role forced his hand. Will be very emotional when he plays his last game. Absolute legend :bowdown
Doeboy

Postby C-R » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:41 pm

FA Cup Final is the same as his birthday... I just wonder  :eyebrow
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:10 pm

C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:13 pm

I suspect that he's probably turned down every big club in Europe at least once, not just Madrid.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby parchpea » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:03 am

Listening to his interview he's been told his times up which whilst sad is how it should be for any football club, nobody should be bigger than it.

Clearly he doesn't want to leave but no Liverpool fan would, he's been blessed with a remarkable career and all that goes with it.

Last season has made this so much harder for him, the way things panned out and all, but life is full of twists and turns even for guys like him
and in a way that disappointment makes him more human and even more endearing.

For what its worth I don't think he will last 4 years in America.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:13 am

cardiff-red » Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:34 pm wrote:Official interview with Stevie here https://vid.me/qCXE

Pretty bloody hard to watch at times, very emotional  :(

Amazing interview from Stevie. The recurring theme of the last few days has been his quality as a man, not just as a world-class footballer. Previous managers, senior pros, new signings, youngsters, charities, the media all unanimous in their praise for the man; not a bad word to be said. You can see he's genuinely amazed and humbled at the reaction to his forthcoming departure. He undoubtedly has massive respect for Brendan Rodgers, he paid him a fantastic and honest compliment during the interview, hopefully that will knock some of the conspiracy theories on the head.

The other thing than came through in the interview was the selfless fore-thought regarding the timing of the announcement. It was perfect. Get it out straight after the Leicester game when there's a gap, let the furore die down, hopefully announce his destination club and get back to playing football. No-one will want that more than him. A legend in every sense of the word.

Margaret Aspinall 'He's more than a footballer to this City.'
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion