STEVEN GERRARD - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:41 pm

It's true, he's off. And I think it's for the best.

Gerrard has carried, draged and pulled us along and deserves all the credit. For me he's a legend and one of the greatest to pull on the red shirt. He deserves a glittering end and he'll get that in the USA.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:59 pm

I for one am absolutely devastated Yeh I know he's not the same Steven that we had but as far as I concerned still had something to offer if Brendan played him right. One of the best I've ever seen an ive seen a few .
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:34 am

I think he's made the right decision IMO, for both him personally and the club.
He'll be 35 at the end of the season and in premier league terms that is certainly getting on a bit.
And let's face it he's not exactly going to be roughing it over in L.A, he'll be mixing with Hollywood film stars and all that crowd and he'll probably be earning a fortune to boot. It's not like he's finishing his career by dropping through the divisions like legends of the past had to do, there's  probably not many better places than southern California to live, especially when you are worth millions.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Shanks Forever » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:45 am

Bit odd he's going, as he probably had a contract for life at Local with an.option to.manage as well.

I.think.he knows we are a sinking ship.
Shanks Forever
LFC Basic Member

Postby lakes10 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:49 am

its more off the field I worry about, its why he brings to the team and how he has helped the new players around him, with him gone theres no face of Liverpool in the changing room to lift the team
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:01 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:34 pm wrote:I think he's made the right decision IMO, for both him personally and the club.
He'll be 35 at the end of the season and in premier league terms that is certainly getting on a bit.
And let's face it he's not exactly going to be roughing it over in L.A, he'll be mixing with Hollywood film stars and all that crowd and he'll probably be earning a fortune to boot. It's not like he's finishing his career by dropping through the divisions like legends of the past had to do, there's  probably not many better places than southern California to live, especially when you are worth millions.

I'm sure he's ready to get the f*ck out of that rainy weather. I think just living in a warmer climate could probably extend his physical ability as a player. Much easier to get loose and get going in the nicer weather.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:17 am

NANNY RED » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:59 pm wrote:I for one am absolutely devastated Yeh I know he's not the same Steven that we had but as far as I concerned still had something to offer if Brendan played him right. One of the best I've ever seen an ive seen a few .

Absolutely  :nod Lampard at 2 years his senior still knows how to impact a game from the bench. We could have had that with stevie also.
Right up there with the best for me also. Best of luck to him wherever he end's up.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:33 am

red till i die!! » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:17 am wrote:
NANNY RED » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:59 pm wrote:I for one am absolutely devastated Yeh I know he's not the same Steven that we had but as far as I concerned still had something to offer if Brendan played him right. One of the best I've ever seen an ive seen a few .

Absolutely  :nod Lampard at 2 years his senior still knows how to impact a game from the bench. We could have had that with stevie also.
Right up there with the best for me also. Best of luck to him wherever he end's up.

I don't think Gerrards interested in being a bit part player like Lampard though. It was only a few months ago that he gave up the England captaincy because Brendan mentioned that he may have to rotate him a bit more.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:12 am

We will know when he comes out with where he is going next season. If its looking for a prem medal then its a bit part role at either the chavs or city. If he wants to play every min then he will head for the states.

I don't think he has as much control over things as a lot seem to imply. He is a club legend and club captain so that gives him automatic rights imo to pipe up in the dressing room and let fly. If he is picking himself to play every week then thats daft as that would mean brendan rolls over. Its rodgers who created that role in the side for gerrard and claimed it would prolong his playing career as a result so its not him who decides the tactics.. I like yourself think he shouldn't be playing every week but somehow rodgers wont drop him for any length of time. He should have started on the bench today. Only one person is responsible for him waltzing in and it will be the same guy who allows johnson to stroll right back in when he's fit.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:35 am

HE gave up the ENgland captaincy to prolong his playing for us . Massive massive gap to fill because none of the players Rodgers has bought are anywhere near capable of filling his boots an I'm not talking how he's been played this season who's gonna step up to the plate now some of them players shouldn't even be in a red shirt. All not well with him an Rodgers since he threw the Madrid away game
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:11 am

Devastated in the thought that we now have to rely on our inept transfer committee to find a suitable replacement and please don't fookin tell me it's Henderson, can or Lallana.

As for Stevie leaving... He is the main reason I support this club. He was the hook that caught me. Seeing his superhuman performances with amazing skill put him in a class of his own and was the motivation to get up at 3am to watch games.

For around 10 years Stevie has been saving our *****, recently though people will argue he is too slow, error prone... Yes correct but who can put away 20 penalties a season? It's worth having Gerrard just to take them.

He is the last professional footballer of a world class quality where loyalty to one club came before other distractions. I doubt messi would stay at Barcelona if he had to play with half the tripe that has flowed through the bowels of Liverpool.

I will miss him  :down:
killerp

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:19 am

Will probably go down as the greatest player to ever play for the club, the definition of the word legend. The amount of times he single handily dragged us through the mud is unbeleivable and i will be eternally grateful for the memories hes provided us.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby aCe' » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:23 am

Best player to ever wear the shirt. Even if we do somehow manage to replace his quality -which I highly doubt even at his age- we're still left with the task of bringing in a leader both on the pitch and in the dressing room.
aCe'
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:15 am

and now an official statement from the club...

Liverpool Football Club can confirm Steven Gerrard is to leave the club at the end of the 2014-15 season.

The Reds captain will bring the curtain down on a glittering Anfield career that has spanned nearly 17 years and included 10 trophies, as well as 695 appearances and 180 goals to date since joining the club's youth system aged eight.

Gerrard will not retire from professional football at the conclusion of the 2014-15 season. No decision on his new club has been made yet, but he will continue his career outside the United Kingdom and at a side that will not bring him into direct competition with Liverpool.

The 34-year-old admits it is with a heavy heart he will depart Liverpool, describing the decision as the 'toughest of his life', but has chosen to make it now to avoid speculation about his future.

Until then, the No.8 insists he will continue to concentrate all his efforts on helping Brendan Rodgers' side achieve both domestic and European success.

Explaining his decision, Gerrard said: "This has been the toughest decision of my life and one which both me and my family have agonised over for a good deal of time.

"I am making the announcement now so that the manager and the team are not distracted by stories or speculation about my future.

"Liverpool Football Club has been such a huge part of all our lives for so long and saying goodbye is going to be difficult, but I feel it's something that's in the best interests of all involved, including my family and the club itself.

"I'm going to carry on playing and although I can't confirm at this stage where that will be, I can say it will be somewhere that means I won't be playing for a competing club and will not therefore be lining up against Liverpool - that is something I could never contemplate.

"My decision is completely based on my wish to experience something different in my career and life and I also want to make sure that I have no regrets when my playing career is eventually over.

"I can't thank Brendan, the owners and everyone at the club enough for how they've handled this and I am leaving on great terms. Also, I would like to thank my teammates and all the staff for their help and continued support.

"It is a very special place to be part of. It is my sincere hope and wish that one day I can return to serve Liverpool again, in whatever capacity best helps the club.

"One point that is important to make is that from now until the last kick of the last game of the season, I will be as fully committed to the team as I ever have been and giving everything I have to help Liverpool win games.

"My final message is for the people who make Liverpool Football Club the greatest in the world - the supporters.

"It has been a privilege to represent you, as a player and as captain. I have cherished every second of it and it is my sincere wish to finish this season and my Liverpool career on a high."
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kash_Mountain » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:15 am

aCe' » Jan 2nd, '15, 06:23 wrote:Best player to ever wear the shirt. Even if we do somehow manage to replace his quality -which I highly doubt even at his age- we're still left with the task of bringing in a leader both on the pitch and in the dressing room.

It's not a surprise tbh, whilst he has been one of the best, I think it's right that he moves on,  and i hope the very best for him. I think it'll be be a a relieve for most players at the club tbh. There are a lot of people that know that he'd grown to big for the club, and no one  is bigger then the club.

Anyway, you can't get a replacement from outside the club, it must come from the academy, my choice would be Rossiter, give him a run of games, and gradually bring him in to the first team.

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion