So who do you want to replace him ?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby TwelthMan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:48 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Well then if a player can't pass the ball, why he is on the pitch? Doesn't Benitez pick the side? Doesn't he have subs to change the outcome of a game? Isn't it his tactics? I blame players as often as I can, but still it comes down to Benitez. I'm not blaming him solely, but he takes the brunt of the blame because it's mainly his fault.

HOW? how is it his fault? did he make the mistake of signing professional football players who can at least do the basics? How? How is that rafas fault?

LOL your argument is easily reversed: How is it NOT his fault? That is the point of a manager: to get a player, train him, coach him, pick him (ahem!), motivate him, and pat him on the back! If a player is playing :censored: then the manager is to blame  :Oo:
TwelthMan

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:48 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:So Houllier winning our first European trophy for nearly two decades was easier than Benitez winning our first European trophy for nearly 5 years?

Yes, Rafa winning the UCL was a significantly more difficult achievement than Houllier winning the UEFA cup.

Anyone who thinks otherwise needs their head seen to.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:49 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Well then if a player can't pass the ball, why he is on the pitch? Doesn't Benitez pick the side? Doesn't he have subs to change the outcome of a game? Isn't it his tactics? I blame players as often as I can, but still it comes down to Benitez. I'm not blaming him solely, but he takes the brunt of the blame because it's mainly his fault.

HOW? how is it his fault? did he make the mistake of signing professional football players who can at least do the basics? How? How is that rafas fault?

Well he signed Sissoko. He signed Kuyt. He signed Aurellio. He signed Nunez. He signed Josemi. Need I go on?

Benitez' buys and trains these players. Then he picks them. If he can see they're not good enough in training, why do he pick them?

Unless Dirk Kuyt bangs in 40 goals a training session, there isn't a reason in the world as to why he plays week in week out. But I suppose the selection of the side isn't Benitez' fault either is it?
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby The Manhattan Project » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:51 am

Whether or not he would have, could have etc etc. is really unknown and irrelevant, times have moved on, his stock and profile has risen massively since then. A lot of you talk as though he is waiting in the wings ready to take over, think again, if there was any chance do you think that G&H would have waved a contract under Klinsmanns nose?

That was the only problem I had. I like Klinsmann but he's not LFC manager material. Had Hicks and Gillett been trying to get Jose at LFC, I would have supported that action.   

The money issue was in regard to those Clubs now stepping onto our level, and therefore competing with us directly for signings, the point being do you think he is willing to slum it with us in terms of spending, and slug it out for signatures with Spurs? I don't think so. The truth is to come to LFC is a step back for him in some ways (i am not happy writing that) and IMO Clubs such as Milan and Barca will be far more appealing to him.

I think the prospect of working with Jose at LFC will be more attractive than going to Newcastle (who are doomed BTW) and West Pork. Spurs is a potential problem but they still have a long way to go.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:51 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

Well he signed Sissoko. He signed Kuyt. He signed Aurellio. He signed Nunez. He signed Josemi. Need I go on?

Benitez' buys and trains these players. Then he picks them. If he can see they're not good enough in training, why do he pick them?

Unless Dirk Kuyt bangs in 40 goals a training session, there isn't a reason in the world as to why he plays week in week out. But I suppose the selection of the side isn't Benitez' fault either is it?

He also offloaded a majority off them admitting his mistakes, but how can rafa be blamed because these players, who people like you and me can only dream of there wages and wearing that red shirt, cannot do the basics like pass a ball? Whatever you say, rafa cannot be blamed for that.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:52 am

LFC2007 wrote:
god_bless_john_houlding wrote:So Houllier winning our first European trophy for nearly two decades was easier than Benitez winning our first European trophy for nearly 5 years?

Yes, Rafa winning the UCL was a significantly more difficult achievement than Houllier winning the UEFA cup.

I'm not saying Benitez didn't have a difficult job winning the European Cup, but it's not that much harder to win that, then it is to win the UEFA, because all the teams in the UEFA are at the same level. Just like all the teams in the European Cup are at the same level.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:53 am

There isn't a great deal of difference between the two. Houllier's achievement shouldn't be knocked down just to make Benitez' look better. Houllier's victory in the UEFA Cup is just as important as anything else this club have achieved in Europe. The UEFA Cup is the platform for the European Cup. If you don't believe me, look at this:

Liverpool win the UEFA Cup in 73, four years later win the European Cup in 77
Liverpool win the UEFA Cup in 01, four years later win the European Cup in 05

Why do you defend GH, it's not like he ever brought us the title?  You even try to compare UEFA cup to CL, just to make GH look good.  Rafa is by far more superior manager than GH.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:53 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

He also offloaded a majority off them admitting his mistakes, but how can rafa be blamed because these players, who people like you and me can only dream of there wages and wearing that red shirt, cannot do the basics like pass a ball? Whatever you say, rafa cannot be blamed for that.

So Benitez can't be blamed for picking these players in the starting 11?

Who do we blame then.....Joan the tea girl?
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:55 am

How about the players who are paid to perform?
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:56 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:

There isn't a great deal of difference between the two. Houllier's achievement shouldn't be knocked down just to make Benitez' look better. Houllier's victory in the UEFA Cup is just as important as anything else this club have achieved in Europe. The UEFA Cup is the platform for the European Cup. If you don't believe me, look at this:

Liverpool win the UEFA Cup in 73, four years later win the European Cup in 77
Liverpool win the UEFA Cup in 01, four years later win the European Cup in 05

Why do you defend GH, it's not like he ever brought us the title?  You even try to compare UEFA cup to CL, just to make GH look good.  Rafa is by far more superior manager than GH.

I defend Houllier so highly because people like you and the majority are happy to shrug off what he achieved for this club. He might not of brought us in the league, but he brought us closer than Benitez has.

2001/02 we finished second, that was Houllier's fourth full season, we finihsed eight points behind. Benitez' fourth full season in charge and we're already 20 points behind. So where's the superior?
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:57 am

Kharhaz wrote:

It's still Benitez who picks them. If he doesn't feel they can perform, he shouldn't pick them should he?
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby neil » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:57 am

sven?
neil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:58 am

Kharhaz wrote:

It's still Benitez who picks them. If he doesn't feel they can perform, he shouldn't pick them should he?

Your scraping the barrel now.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:00 am

LFC2007 wrote:

I'm not saying Benitez didn't have a difficult job winning the European Cup, but it's not that much harder to win that, then it is to win the UEFA, because all the teams in the UEFA are at the same level. Just like all the teams in the European Cup are at the same level.

Overall the teams in the UCL are of a higher calibre than the teams in the UEFA cup, it is far harder to win because of this. The motivation to win it is huge, and overall it's probably the most sought after club trophy in the world.

It is significantly more difficult to win the UCL than the UEFA cup.

I'm not going to keep banging my head against the wall on this one.
LFC2007

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:00 am

Kharhaz wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:

Your scraping the barrel now.

In other words you can't answer or justify Benitez' selections because that shows him up to be the one in the wrong.

He picks them and if he's not prepared to change them with the subs allocated to him by the laws of the FA, then he takes the blame.
god_bless_john_houlding

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion