LIVERPOOL VS SUNDERLAND - Tuesday 3rd march - 8pm

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby REDTILLDEAD » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:15 am

Zidane wrote:Don't understand why people aren't genuinely happy with the performance, we did better than some are giving us credit for.

Sunderland were no great shakes, we struggled to break them down in the first half....second half very much "huff n' puff"....N'gog couldn't miss from that range (yes he could"!)...and a bad error by their goalkeeper gifted us our second.....If we approach the man u game anything like that preformance last night they will eat us alive!....this is course for concern.....dont get carried away by our win last night we have two very big tests coming up, which will make or break our season. ???
"THERE ARE TWO GREAT FOOTBALL TEAMS IN LIVERPOOL"
  LIVERPOOL..........................AND LIVERPOOL RESERVES!
REDTILLDEAD
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:25 am

REDTILLDEAD wrote:Sunderland were no great shakes, we struggled to break them down in the first half....second half very much "huff n' puff"....N'gog couldn't miss from that range (yes he could"!)...and a bad error by their goalkeeper gifted us our second.....If we approach the man u game anything like that preformance last night they will eat us alive!....this is course for concern.....dont get carried away by our win last night we have two very big tests coming up, which will make or break our season. ???

We will win both of them games and you can quote me on that  :nod
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:36 am

Ciggy wrote:We will win both of them games and you can quote me on that

There ya go Lynds :wwww You might well be right. We'll definately beat Madrid, and after for the first time in my natural getting consecutive scores correct which I actually predicted (at least I don't think I had a go at the Boro game, mind you maybe I did I've been posting while hitting the whisky recently) I'm gonna go for the score.

It'll be 1-0 again. If he plays, Torres will score it, if not, Gerrard will.

The Man U game is harder to call, but here goes. I think it'll be 1-1, and I'm predicting an unbeleiveably dodgy penalty, or something well out of order in their favour. They very often get a helping hand against us, and I think they'll get it this time too.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:41 am

As I said in the game against the mancs at Anfield, we might be better off without Gerrard and/or Torres. Reason being fergie will make sure they don't get any time on the ball, kick lumps out of them and foul when necessary to make sure their impact is non-existent. Keep them on the bench if possible, but I reckon the lack of "closing down" worked in our favour. Let's mark their best players out of the game and rely on Kuyt, Babel, N'Gog, Benayoun or Riera to get us a winner there.

We really do need to work on corners and set-pieces though, everyone needs to know what they're about and not get caught out like we did from a short corner against them last season. And I'd man mark Ronaldo like we did Cahill (eventually) - keeping an eye very much on Vidic too.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:05 pm

stmichael wrote:It won't be pretty but I'll go for a 2-0 win.

:;):

Thoroughly professional performance without being spectacular. Sunderland (the Jones chance apart) were awful and once we went infront there was only going to be one winner. In the end we could have had four or five.

Special mentions go to Benayoun who was lively and inventive again and David Ngog upfront. I thought he played well although it doesn't mean people can't debate whether or not he's going to good enough long term or even short term. Gerrard also gave a very good disciplined performance in central midfield and started to burst forward more in the second half.

Good to have a week off now to prepare for the Madrid game.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:33 pm

stmichael wrote:
stmichael wrote:It won't be pretty but I'll go for a 2-0 win.

:;):

Thoroughly professional performance without being spectacular. Sunderland (the Jones chance apart) were awful and once we went infront there was only going to be one winner. In the end we could have had four or five.

Special mentions go to Benayoun who was lively and inventive again and David Ngog upfront. I thought he played well although it doesn't mean people can't debate whether or not he's going to good enough long term or even short term. Gerrard also gave a very good disciplined performance in central midfield and started to burst forward more in the second half.

Good to have a week off now to prepare for the Madrid game.

Hear! Hear! mate....
Uncharacteristically, Benayoun had a good game, and as I'm perhaps one of his fiercest critics, I'll take my hat off to him for last night's performance.
Eggnog as well. He had a thankless task and I'm delighted he got off teh mark, esp. in front of the Kop. (As one of the lads said to me this morning, a lot of people said Adebayor was destined to be muck when he appeared on the scene but were proven wrong - let's hope the same is true for Eggnog !)
But you're right, Sunderland were absolutely shocking.
And our finishing in front of goal was absolutely shocking as well, esp. in the first half.
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:41 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Uncharacteristically, Benayoun had a good game, and as I'm perhaps one of his fiercest critics, I'll take my hat off to him for last night's performance.

He's been our best player this since the turn of the year mate.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:36 pm

I was made up we won last night because at half time I couldnt see us scoring.  We seem to have become tha masters of passing sideways and backwards.  Loads of possesion but no drive.

We are desperatly short of a player who can run at a defence and make it panic (and then make mistakes).  Occasionaly Reira does it, and Yossi sometimes, but it doesnt happen enough.

Is it the players dont want to do it, or are they being told not to.
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:48 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I was made up we won last night because at half time I couldnt see us scoring.  We seem to have become tha masters of passing sideways and backwards.  Loads of possesion but no drive.

We are desperatly short of a player who can run at a defence and make it panic (and then make mistakes).  Occasionaly Reira does it, and Yossi sometimes, but it doesnt happen enough.

I agree mate, I don't think we actually have the type of players that can do this. Creatively we are certainly well short of what I would wish for. When Torres and Gerrard are at the top of their games we can "get away" with it, but if we are ever to really sustain our challenge for the title I would have a top class creative player at the very top of my wanted list.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Ola Mr Benitez wrote:We are desperatly short of a player who can run at a defence and make it panic (and then make mistakes).  Occasionaly Reira does it, and Yossi sometimes, but it doesnt happen enough.

Yossi can do it but not from a wide area. He'd do it a lot more if he played central, a bit like Aimar at Valencia. The problem is, he'll never get played central if Gerrard is fit.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Roger Red Hat » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:52 pm

yup we need a new john barnes.
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:54 pm

Lee J wrote:yup we need a new john barnes.

And a new Peter Beardsley would be nice too  :D

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:58 pm

s@int wrote:
Ola Mr Benitez wrote:I was made up we won last night because at half time I couldnt see us scoring.  We seem to have become tha masters of passing sideways and backwards.  Loads of possesion but no drive.

I agree mate, I don't think we actually have the type of players that can do this. Creatively we are certainly well short of what I would wish for. When Torres and Gerrard are at the top of their games we can "get away" with it, but if we are ever to really sustain our challenge for the title I would have a top class creative player at the very top of my wanted list.

Arshavin would have been absolutely ideal
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 pm

stmichael wrote:
s@int wrote:

Arshavin would have been absolutely ideal

I agree mate , he would have been, although my personal preference would be Diego, he scores a lot of goals and creates just as many. (I have gone off Aguero now as he seems to be playing further forward :D )

At the price Arsenal are supposed to have got him for Arshavin would have been ideal though.

Postby jedwards » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:43 pm

REDTILLDEAD wrote:
Zidane wrote:Don't understand why people aren't genuinely happy with the performance, we did better than some are giving us credit for.

Sunderland were no great shakes, we struggled to break them down in the first half....second half very much "huff n' puff"....N'gog couldn't miss from that range (yes he could"!)...and a bad error by their goalkeeper gifted us our second.....If we approach the man u game anything like that preformance last night they will eat us alive!....this is course for concern.....dont get carried away by our win last night we have two very big tests coming up, which will make or break our season. ???

???
We need a huge improvement, if we are going to get some sort of good result against M.Utd, at present we are playing lousy, in fact since the turn of the new year, we are starting to see kind of Liverpool team performance of the last three seasons, less constructive, non productive, lack imagination and creativity to break down below average opponents, bad shooting on goal all round, and cannot score enough goals, a very duel display.
jedwards

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion