Peter crouch - Crouch deal agreed for seven million

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fernando Morientes > 19 < » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:29 pm

hope that he will prove that he is worth those 7 millions
"He is the player that Liverpool have been looking for." - Ian Rush
Fernando Morientes > 19 <
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Gracias King Rafa » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:05 pm

I must admit I've had strong reservations about Crouch,but he's a Liverpool player now and if he does well for us then I'll very gladly be eating humble pie.
Obviously Rafa's been after his signature all through the summer so no doubt we've "plenty of possibilities" so far as strikers go! :)
Gracias King Rafa

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:11 pm

i trust rafa enough, that the signing of crouch will be a success.
as many used to say- "in rafa we trust!" :;):
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jonnymac1979 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:19 pm

I've just watched the interview with him on .TV

Sounds like he is really pleased to be playing for us and that he had his heart set on coming to Liverpool as soon as we made an approach.  Seems to have a good head on his shoulders, albeit an ugly one. :D

As for those people who aren't happy that he is here, fair enough, but I can't believe that Rafa would have left anything to chance.  He would have had him scouted many, many times, he'll have had tapes made of him, moles watching him train, in other words, the full works.

The idea is that he offers us something different on the pitch.  Just because he is a big tall ugly ba$tard doesn't mean sh!t at the end of the day.  The guy can obviously play and more importantly, our manager thinks that he will benefit us. 

As ironic as it sounds, I've read certain reports today that he has been more effective when playing with a mixed style i.e. the ball into feet, sometimes the long ball, sometimes the high ball (Portsmouth and Southampton under Redknapp) than when he was used solely as a target man (Taylor's Aston Villa) so there should be no misapprehensions on anyones part that we are suddenly just going to start hoofing it up to his head looking for the knockdowns.

We're all more knowledgable than that aren't we?  So lets start getting behind the lad and showing him our support.
jonnymac1979

Postby andy_g » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:20 pm

i watched that interview today too. seems like a thoroughly nice young bloke.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:24 pm

who do you think will start for us then out of crouch/cisse/baros/le tallec/pongolle?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:29 pm

i`ve argued for him from the start and dont mind saying so, cisse and morientes have both come here with massive reputations but dont seem to be able to keep the ball under pressure. peter might not have been top scorer in france or the top scorer in the champions league but he knows how to trap a ball and not over run it in traffic. the amount of times i`ve seen morientes and cisse in good positions try to run with the ball and kick it too far ahead is unbelievable.
bringing other players into play is his forte and i`m glad because our moves at the moment always seem to break down when our forwards get the ball.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby JBG » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:34 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:i`ve argued for him from the start and dont mind saying so, cisse and morientes have both come here with massive reputations but dont seem to be able to keep the ball under pressure. peter might not have been top scorer in france or the top scorer in the champions league but he knows how to trap a ball and not over run it in traffic. the amount of times i`ve seen morientes and cisse in good positions try to run with the ball and kick it too far ahead is unbelievable.
bringing other players into play is his forte and i`m glad because our moves at the moment always seem to break down when our forwards get the ball.

Well said and thats why Rafa bought him.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby 76-1115222408 » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:34 pm

yckatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:i`ve argued for him from the start and dont mind saying so

:D
76-1115222408

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:41 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:who do you think will start for us then out of crouch/cisse/baros/le tallec/pongolle?

I don't know but when is pongolle back to full fitness because I remember him having that bad injury which he sustained at norwich last season
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JBG » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:43 pm

adamnbarrett wrote:
passmeistro_#14 wrote:who do you think will start for us then out of crouch/cisse/baros/le tallec/pongolle?

I don't know but when is pongolle back to full fitness because I remember him having that bad injury which he sustained at norwich last season

It was away to Watford.
Jolly Bob Grumbine.
JBG
LFC Elite Member

Postby adamnbarrett » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:44 pm

JBG wrote:
adamnbarrett wrote:

It was away to Watford.

You know what I mean they both wear yellow  :D

But when is he coming back?
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby neilE » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:46 pm

In the interview he said he'd been to Anfield as a fan - too much to hope he means as a home fan I suppose? - I'm all in favour of Rafa's belief in going for players with commitment AND ability. Let's hope there really is some of the latter:)
neilE

Postby dosserboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:29 pm

Crouchie seems really pleased to be at Anfield and can't wait to play in front of the Kop! he says Liverpool fans are the best in the world. I would play for Liverpool if I was a pro, it would be all of our dreams.  So give the lad a f**king chance. Last night against TNS, if Crouchie was playing in the first half, he would have scored at least 2 goals at the far post from Zendens crosses!!!
dosserboy

Postby Quimby » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:55 pm

I was pessimistic, but he has to be given a chance. I really respect his professionalism during this on-going saga - the fact that he apparently still worked very hard at Soton despite his desire to move etc. He may not have the most natural talent, but Rafa will certainly develop him and I think Crouch's sterling attitude and desire to work hard (whether for (Soton or us) is something I hope rubs off on the rest of the team.
Quimby

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion