Carson deal to villa  agreed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Gerrard30391 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:03 pm

Put yourselves in Scott Carsons shoes, knowing you are a quality reserve or lower premiership team keeper. Would you stay or would you leave? he had a cracking season at Charlton last season and now hes back i see no way through reina, as im sure you'll all agree.

So does he stay and sit on the bench or does he leave for first team football?

If he goes, do we need another keeper?

YNWA
"I certainly wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
Gerrard30391
LFC Super Member

Postby tommycockles » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:51 pm

As a Liverpool fan I'd have to vote to keep him as we don't have a class back-up for Reina- although at Carson's age he needs regular games to gain the confidence and skill to become as good as he's capable of and to become number one for England (which he has the talent to become). I can see him leaving us but not until we have a top back-up- i just hope he doesn't disappear into the wilderness waiting for his chance as it'll be a waste of his talent.
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby YAWL » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:18 pm

Depends on the fee we'd get really.

Personally I don't rate him terribly highly.  Having said that if Craig Gordon is worth 9 million I'd expect Carson would be worth similar.
YAWL

Postby Hebz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:08 pm

from watching the pre-season friendlies i'd have to say we keep him unless we get a really good replacement. the other keepers that have played just seem too timid and in my opinion its too risky to play them in matches. im not that keen on martins. even though carson only played for charlton he still had first hand experience from playing in the premiership, plus hes not that bad, he just needs games to improve his status.
Hebz

Postby YAWL » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:16 pm

I agree, he is certainly not bad, or anything near it.

I just personally don't rate him terribly hjighly, just as I don't rate Paul Robinson highly.

Did you see the goal he let in this pre season, I doubt that would have occured with Pepe in goals.
YAWL

Postby Hebz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:18 pm

i dont rate paul robinson at all... i personally think there are plently other english keepers out there that are capable of doing a better job. even though ive never forgiven david james for some of the goals he let in when he played for liverpool, he's a lot better than robinson, by far and records and clean sheets alone show this!
Hebz

Postby YAWL » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:22 pm

Hebz wrote:i dont rate paul robinson at all... i personally think there are plently other english keepers out there that are capable of doing a better job. even though ive never forgiven david james for some of the goals he let in when he played for liverpool, he's a lot better than robinson, by far and records and clean sheets alone show this!

Totally agree.

On form James should be in goals for England.
YAWL

Postby Hebz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:26 pm

when is robinson on form though? all the praise he got for scoring that goal against foster was ridicolous, like that would've gone in if it hadnt of bounced awkwardly
Hebz

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:24 pm

Carson poised for permanent move 
BBC 

Scott Carson has won praise from Aston Villa keeper Scott Carson
Scott Carson has revealed Aston Villa and Liverpool have agreed a deal for the England under-21 keeper to make a permanent move to Villa Park.
The 22-year-old has impressed at Villa having had previous loan spells at Sheffield Wednesday and Charlton.

He said: "I think the clubs have agreed something where, if everyone is happy, my move could be made permanent and it is something I would welcome.

"I would prefer to establish myself as a number one at Villa."

Carson joined Liverpool from Leeds for £1m in January 2005 and is now valued at between £8m and £10m.

He said: "What I want now is to be settled for the next five to 10 years. I've been out on loan a lot over the last couple of seasons.

Scott is very young but he has got a terrific attitude and wants to improve Aston Villa manager Martin O'Neill

"It is not easy when you keep moving up and down the country. It would be nice to settle at a club that I like and where the fans like me.

"I've settled in well at Aston Villa over the past few months. Everyone at the club has welcomed me and that has been a big help.

"I don't feel I've done a great deal wrong so far and, if I feel I should have done better, I will be the first person to admit it. I'm not one for coming up with excuses."

Villa manager Martin O'Neill is delighted with the progress made by Carson, who has replaced Thomas Sorensen as his first choice keeper.

He said: "Scott he has done very well. I've been very pleased with him. He is improving as a keeper.

"He is very young but he has got a terrific attitude and wants to improve."
-------------------------

From what I understand the loan deal was for £1.8million and the transfer will be for £8.2 million. £10 million for a top goalkeeper is about right. Whether Carson would/will be considered a top keeper I am not too sure.

A good bit of business anyway in my view. Now to bring in the striker!
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:43 pm

Good business there. No way in the world would I rate him at 10 million, I dont really rate him atall as a keeper.
66-1112520797

Postby metalhead » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:48 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Good business there. No way in the world would I rate him at 10 million, I dont really rate him atall as a keeper.

He is a good keeper, not the best, but an excellent shot stopper.

10m is great business.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:57 pm

I saw £10m quoted in a few places this morning, and thought that there's no way in a million years Villa would splash out that much up front.

I'd guess that there are clauses all over that deal.

Still, if he does eventually bring the club £10m, that's arguably the best bit of business we've done in the recent past. Any deal where we make money on a player is unusual, but that's a serious chunk.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:27 pm

No great loss - barring any injuries or a serious dip in form from Pepe, the lad would never get a game.

If we DO get £10m for him, that's a nifty bit of business from Rafa.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby murphy0151 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:28 pm

Bamaga man wrote:Good business there. No way in the world would I rate him at 10 million, I dont really rate him atall as a keeper.

I wouldnt go as far as not rating him as a goal keeper, but i would go as far as saying i dont think hes good enough for us.

At Villas as about as good as hes going to get.

About time we done something good with buying and selling.
murphy0151
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:35 pm

If it is true i am shocked. He is not good enough at all for us and majorly overrated imo.
Rafa should be wearing a striped jumper and a black mask if Villa are paying 10 million.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion