Carson deal to villa  agreed

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:27 pm

http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2005/04/06/story587482247.asp

Reminded me of his game against Juventus in the Champions League, I wondered then if he was ever going to be good enough. I do blame McClueless to some degree, he stuck by Robinson through his awful form and that meant no chance for Carson to get some games and confidence - last night McClueless paid the price and again today
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:01 pm

Emerald Red wrote:I hope this doesn't ruin his career. I can see something like that happening. One thing's for sure, I don't think he'll ever be in England's goal again or certainly not be the #1. The press had their knives sharpened already before the game, and I'm sure he's being cut into right now. I don't read the papers.

I think it's a very sad state of things if one poor game (albeit in an extremely important fixture) should ruin the career of a 22 year old player. While I don't think Carson is that great, he surely is a quite decent goalkeeper, and he's only 22 and has got plenty of time to develop. Furthermore goalkeepers can most often play on to their mid-to-late 30's, so it would be ridiculous to already rule him out of playing for England again, seeing as he might play on for 15 years and surely ought to become better with time. Add to that the fact that England aren't exactly blessed with great goalkeepers.

I'm not in any way trying to have a dig at you Emerald Red, but what I (as well as you - or so I think at least) oppose against is the gutter press, who are constantly looking for victims. If this should ruin his career (which I can't imagine), then it would be due to the press and their treatment of him (I don't know how it has been by the way, as I too try to avoid reading those crappy papers).
JamCar05

Postby bigmick » Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:29 pm

Sometimes it's not the papers which ruin goalkeepers, it's the demons within the minds of the goalkeepers themselves. Many will remember in Dudeks first season, he was most probably the best goalkeeper in the League. Saved everything and dropped nothing and it looked like we had a number one to rival Schmeical (or however the feck it's spelt) over a number of years.

His demise though was fairly rapid, a couple of costly errors mostly at the benefit of Diego Forlan and he never really came back. You always had the feeling, even when he was playing well that sooner or later there was a shot with his name on it. He was going to spill it, miss it, misjudge it or some nonsense, and don't even get me started on crosses. 'Course its not just in the stands and on the telly that you can sense it, the defenders can sense it as well and it makes them nervous as kittens. It is one of Reina's many qualities that he possesses the strength of mind to have come back from a truly awful spell at the beginning of last season. His performance at Everton and one or two games around then would have finished a weaker man.

Carson on the other hand, exuded a broken stance on Wednesday night. His little mumbles to himself after he let the first shot in, his extremely half-hearted whispers to his defenders and his feet set in clay when getting himself in position were the actions of a bloke whose inner self was telling him that he was out of his depth.

Football is littered with blokes throughout the divisions with one or two caps, who spend their whole careers hearing the whispers from contempories and fans "Can't believe it can you but he played for England a couple of times?". Carson may well fall into that category it's sad to say and it won't be the doing of the press. Put it this way, the chances of him finding an England manager who is of the opinion that he is a better bet than David James was on Wednesday, or than Robert Green will be for the forseeable future is remote in the extreme in my opinion.

Unfortunately from reading the interview with him, O'Neill has confirmed my long-held impression that he is far from being an idiot. It's probably fair to assume that any thoughts of any transfer fee in the same stratosphere as ten million pounds probably slipped through our fingers at the same time as Krankjaar's shot did through Carson's. Three million tops is my predicted valuation after the other night.
Last edited by bigmick on Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kunilson » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:14 pm

bigmick wrote:Sometimes it's not the papers which ruin goalkeepers, it's the demons within the minds of the goalkeepers themselves. Many will remember in Dudeks first season, he was most probably the best goalkeeper in the League. Saved everything and dropped nothing and it looked like we had a number one to rival Schmeical (or however the feck it's spelt) over a number of years.

His demise though was fairly rapid, a couple of costly errors mostly at the benefit of Diego Forlan and he never really came back. You always had the feeling, even when he was playing well that sooner or later there was a shot with his name on it. He was going to spill it, miss it, misjudge it or some nonsense, and don't even get me started on crosses. 'Course its not just in the stands and on the telly that you can sense it, the defenders can sense it as well and it makes them nervous as kittens. It is one of Reina's many qualities that he possesses the strength of mind to have come back from a truly awful spell at the beginning of last season. His performance at Everton and one or two games around then would have finished a weaker man.

Carson on the other hand, exuded a broken stance on Wednesday night. His little mumbles to himself after he let the first shot in, his extremely half-hearted whispers to his defenders and his feet set in clay when getting himself in position were the actions of a bloke whose inner self was telling him that he was out of his depth.

Football is littered with blokes throughout the divisions with one or two caps, who spend their whole careers hearing the whispers from contempories and fans "Can't believe it can you but he played for England a couple of times?". Carson may well fall into that category it's sad to say and it won't be the doing of the press. Put it this way, the chances of him finding an England manager who is of the opinion that he is a better bet than David James was on Wednesday, or than Robert Green will be for the forseeable future is remote in the extreme in my opinion.

Unfortunately from reading the interview with him, O'Neill has confirmed my long-held impression that he is far from being an idiot. It's probably fair to assume that any thoughts of any transfer fee in the same stratosphere as ten million pounds probably slipped through our fingers at the same time as Krankjaar's shot did through Carson's. Three million tops is my predicted valuation after the other night.

i agree with all of that, except i think we can squueze a couple of mill more out of the deal..
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby redhayesy » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:39 pm

redhayesy wrote:Scott carson - Feck me he made peggey arpexhad look good!

hate to say , i told you so !

last night just said it all for me, he"s a krap
keeper, it wouldn"t of made a blind bit of
difference who he had defensivley in front
of him, i"m affraid the outcome would of been the same.

i just can"t forget the fa cup game against Luton town
we may have won the game 5-3 but feck me carson
was to blame for all 3 of there goals, & i mantain my
opinion of him then as i do now,he is a liability in goal
& doesn"t give any defenders in front of him any
confidence what so ever.what ever fee we get now
is better than raffling him off at xmas.
the sooner he fecks off the better.
redhayesy
LFC Super Member

Postby club_Levis » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:51 am

redhayesy wrote:
redhayesy wrote:Scott carson - Feck me he made peggey arpexhad look good!

hate to say , i told you so !

last night just said it all for me, he"s a krap
keeper, it wouldn"t of made a blind bit of
difference who he had defensivley in front
of him, i"m affraid the outcome would of been the same.

i just can"t forget the fa cup game against Luton town
we may have won the game 5-3 but feck me carson
was to blame for all 3 of there goals, & i mantain my
opinion of him then as i do now,he is a liability in goal
& doesn"t give any defenders in front of him any
confidence what so ever.what ever fee we get now
is better than raffling him off at xmas.
the sooner he fecks off the better.

Excellent poem. :rasp
club_Levis

Postby Perry Digweed » Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:02 pm

Has his valuation changed since Wenesday? Surely selling him at bottom of the market?
Perry Digweed

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion