Morientes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:18 pm

As far as Defoe goes, based on his current form he would represent something of a gamble at his current transfer value IMHO. He's certainly a player with talent, but equally for me he's a player at the crossroads of his flegeling career. Was he a prodigy, a youngster who exploded onto the scene fizzing with vitality and dangerous intent who performed ahead of his ability, or is he the natural heir apparant to Michael Owen?
Clearly at the moment Martin Jol fancies Robbie Keane more. No shame in that as Keane is a good player but was available for 5-6 million himself at the start of the season and will never be a prolific goal getter. Now it could well be that Jol is wrong, or his insistence on a big guy/small guy combo has lessened Defoe's chances or maybe even a combination of the two. My suspicion is however that Defoe has for the moment at best stood still in his developement and at worst gone backwards.
That is not to say however that he can't come again and maybe a move to a different and bigger club is just what he needs. For a fee likely to be in excess of 10 million pounds though he does represent something of a risk. Though I've completely poo-pooed it in the past, I'm increasingly coming round to the idea that Yakubu might just be the man. Having said that I'm absolutely certain that a) we couldn't afford him and b) Rafa wouldn't but him anyhow so it's all stuff and nonsense when all said and done.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby davo_LFC » Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:31 pm

i think darren bent is great prospect tbh, hes already scored 15 goals this season in an at best average charlton side, in a few of the games in which ave seen he has excellent movement, hes got pace and power and a decent touch too, propably would be a gamble like because many players have one season wonders but i think hes quality, not sure how much he'd cost maybe 6-7mil
ImageImage
davo_LFC
LFC Super Member

Postby GerrardisKing » Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:09 pm

It was only due to the fact that Fowler was playing quality no offence to nando,same thing happened a few weeks ago when crouch was having a blinder against Man city and he got taken off.Im sure the manager and the players didn`t think twice about it.
GerrardisKing

Postby zarababe » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:49 pm

Mmmorientes.... scored again :D wahaaay
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Garymac » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:58 pm

zarababe wrote:Mmmorientes.... scored again :D wahaaay

He is truly lethel from 6 yards out  :D
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby Flashard » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:03 pm

Flashard wrote:He is one player i feel sorry for. I think he came here with great expectation and hope of getting his career going again, but for what ever reasons it hasn't happened. Yes 6 mill is a lot for somewhat of a bit part player but i would give him 1 more season as i think he may just produce for us when he starts getting quality ALL Around him. Oh yes and a bit of support from us lot.

Still stand by this view for the lad. Just think he needs a bit more time. Don't think he was quite expecting the pace off our league :D
Flashard

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:13 pm

As i've said all along Morientes look much more a Liverpool player than Cisse thats why he'll stay
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:17 pm

If Morientes wasn't playing we'd have won 0-16

Rafa, get a grip, you don't catch the English football.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:39 pm

Sabre wrote:If Morientes wasn't playing we'd have won 0-16

Rafa, get a grip, you don't catch the English football.

Nah maybe 0-15  :D
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:15 am

I can't stay quiet on Morientes having consistently slagged him on here. When he came on I thought he did quite well and he has the look of a player whose confidence is slowly creeping back. His goal was a simple finish but he still took it well and good luck to him.
I haven't changed my overall opinion of him but it's nice to see him with a smile on his face. Throughout all the bad times, the fact that he is a nice humble fella has never been in doubt.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby TheoRacle » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:34 am

^ Agreed, a glimpse of confidence returning as shown by a neat side foot finish past an on rushing excellent keeper (IMO) in Taylor (played 2 blinders against us earlier in the season).  2-3 weeks back Crouch, Nando and Cisse would have all been 50/50 chances to sky that one over the bar.
Last edited by TheoRacle on Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My Maserati does one eighty five - I lost my license, now I don't drive..."
TheoRacle
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby onizukaeikichi » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:59 pm

morientes doent celebrate after scoring, wat the heck is wrong with him?
onizukaeikichi

Postby stmichael » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:02 pm

Im well pleased he scored. Maybe he doesnt have a long term future here and hasnt produced the goods but I like the guy. If he is on his way, a few goals may raise his stock a bit.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby 115-1073096938 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:42 pm

Last couple of games he's been in the right place at the right time and seems to have a bit of belief at the moment.

Hopefully he can push on and finally deliver until the end of the season. I won't hold my breath, i think anyone who expected loads of goals from him was naive, he's never been a great goalscorer, a great finisher yes, a great player maybe, but never a great goalscorer.

Aslong as he contributes with good performances and the odd goal then i'll be happy.
115-1073096938

Postby metalhead » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:14 pm

stu_the_red wrote:Last couple of games he's been in the right place at the right time and seems to have a bit of belief at the moment.

Hopefully he can push on and finally deliver until the end of the season. I won't hold my breath, i think anyone who expected loads of goals from him was naive, he's never been a great goalscorer, a great finisher yes, a great player maybe, but never a great goalscorer.

Aslong as he contributes with good performances and the odd goal then i'll be happy.

stu i disagree with you that he was never a great goal scorer.. he was actually with Real Madrid! he used to score a hell lot of goals. with monaco most of his goals came in the Champions League and didn't score that much in the french league
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion