Morientes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby laza » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:08 am

Sabre wrote:
At least Morientes responded in the right way. I liked his non-celebration as well. He's had very little to smile about of late, and he looked more relieved than anything else.

I agree, I don't think the non celebration was a protest against the crowd, but that he just felt that he hasn't been good enough as of late.

I think he would have celebrated it a bit more if it was a single winner goal, but it just looks like he needed badly that goal. I think that it's fair to criticise his goals lack, but I don't think it's fair to say that he doesn't try.

In my very humble opinion, Crouch was more protected by the crowd when he was without scoring quite a bunch of games. People protected him while the media laughed at the guy. And I remember that the first league goal of Crouch was like an explossion of happyness, both of Crouch, running with the arms up jubilant, and of the crowd, who was mad about the goal.

It's not that Morientes has been mistreated, in other Stadias he would have been insulted  or booed, but I don't think Morientes had the same protection of the crowd.

The reasons I don't know, but Morientes has been more time in LFC than Crouch has. :(

You have a fair point Sabre but i think the difference is Morientes is a veteran player with an established pedigree while Crouch is up and coming player whose gangly appearance was always going to get him the sympathy vote.
Im not into this over top slagging of players but like Kewell last season i think alot of venom is based on the fact that some fans are just expecting so much more
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:27 am

The booing was aimed at Rafa and its a disgrace from the fans to question the managers judgement, they booed the other week when Crouch got took off and Morientes was still on the pitch after doing absolutley nothing.
Morientes's goal celebration well he didnt even acknowledge the fans whether he had a nark on over the booing or he was just embarressed well only he can answer that.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:38 am

I believe the booing was at the decision to sub Fowler, not directed at Morrientes or Cisse or even Rafa. The crowd voiced their displeasure at Fowler's subbing because he had been awesome.

Strange, this. Liverpool fans never did this kind of booing. Earlier on in the season, the same booing reaction happened when Crouch was subbed with Morrientes as his partner staying on despite doing next to nothing as Cggy posted (was it the home game against Wigan?). I'm sure the crowd would not have booed had Morrientes been subbed on both occassions.

As a human being, Morrientes' non-clelbration or non-acknowledgement to the crowd is understandable, he feels that they did not appreciate his efforts and this booing should not happen, of all places, at Anfield.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:30 am

IMO Morientes' lack of celebration over his goal was indicative of a man who is out of touch with the fans and his team mates . You would have thought after the drought he's been thriugh he would have at least ackowledged their congratulations . More convinced than ever that he has no future at LFC ,I have a feeling he doesn't want to be here .Expect him to ask Rafa (if he hasn't already) for a move back to sunnier climates .
Class player , just hasn't happend for him here . Better for him and us if he moves on .

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby tel » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:50 am

Morientes had a good game for us. He is a far better player playing alongside Robbie Fowler than Crouch.

We will see whether he moves on in the summer. But until he does, we can expect to see more goals from him. He has far too much pedigree to suddenly become an average player, and if he wants to go, he will play well to attract other teams.
tel

Postby tommycockles » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:21 am

I've got to agree with tel- i don't think his non-celebration was due to him being out of touch with his team mates (or the fans) i think he's genuinely having a bad time and feels low. He's been so used to being a success at his job that he's obviosuly feeling low that he no longer seems to have the impact he would expect. I agree with all the comments that he looked good alongside Fowler- they both seem to be intelligent footballers who use their skill rather than speed- which is why he looks worse alongside Cisse or even Crouch (who seems to play more outside the box).

Whether he stays or goes, unlike other players in the team at least he puts 100% into his game and plays for the team, for that alone he deserves the fans support!

As for the booing and Sabre's view that the fans supported Crouch more- i think the support came because Crouch hadn't scored any goals at all so when his first came the celebrations came with it. I'm sure if Crouch went as long as Moro had without a goal (which he very nearly did) he too wouldn't feel to proud about celebrating like he was a god when he finally did!! It was good that the team celebrated for him- if he scores on Sunday let's hope he feels like celebrating a bit more which may show he's feeling happier about his performances.

This season's been a bit hit and miss with our slow start followed by our unbeaten run where everyone got there hopes up- only to see them slip away. Let's hope the season finishes on a high- it'd be nice to finish second but as long as we do all we can - if we end up finishing third at least we can say it was lost earlier in the season and take the good end to the season into next one!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby Ace Ventura » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:39 am

I have been so frustrated with Morientes this season, not the fact that he hasn't been scoring goals, all strikers go through droughts in the career...even Owen has a couple every season.
The fact that he hasn't even looked like scoring, he hasn't been taking up the right positions and hasn't looked like he wants to be on the pitch.
When he scored i felt even sorrier for him, i dont think it was a snub of the crowd his celebration, it looked to me like he was thinking...this one goal doesn't make up for the last few months.
Tbh after thinking about this a bit more, i dont think Rafa has helped him.
He has started most games alongside Crouch, Peter is good a holding the ball up and will win most headers, but Nando is used to having a real creative player alongside him, Raul or Ludovic Giuly when he was at Monaco.
It is not a coincidence that he has at least been in the right positions to miss chances when he has been alongside Fowler.
Against Wigan away they linked really well and they looked a decent partnership against Fulham on Tuesday as well.
I still think he will and should go in the summer, but i really think the managerhas made mistakes this season with his partnerships of the forwards.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby inglis5 » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:41 am

Ciggy wrote:The booing was aimed at Rafa and its a disgrace from the fans to question the managers judgement, they booed the other week when Crouch got took off and Morientes was still on the pitch after doing absolutley nothing.
Morientes's goal celebration well he didnt even acknowledge the fans whether he had a nark on over the booing or he was just embarrassed well only he can answer that.

Booing Rafa?

I agree Ciggy, it was ridiculous and embarrassing.

If Rafa had decided to replace Reina with Crouch and play him as a rush goalie, we should respect his decision (and certainly not boo!)

Booing is pathetic at the best of times but to aim it at our own Manager is a joke    :no
inglis5

Postby oakton » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:57 am

Mori didn't celebrate because it wasn't a very spectacular goal, it was just an easy kick and he believes it wasn't worth celebrating
oakton

Postby AlanHansen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:03 pm

I think Mori didn't celebrate because he knows he is off in the summer and the goal was too little too late.  :(
AlanHansen

Postby Pakat » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:17 pm

AlanHansen wrote:I think Mori didn't celebrate because he knows he is off in the summer and the goal was too little too late.  :(

No, it's because he knows he has to continue scoring goals in our last 9 games + the FA cup or he's off in the summer.  It aren't too late for him yet.
Pakat

Postby 2520years » Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:22 pm

The booing was done in a fairly light-hearted way.  How can anyone substitute Fowler when he's just got us on the way to a victory with his first goal?  I was in the crowd and no-one was complaining about Rafa or Nando or anyone else, they just wanted to see more of Robbie.  Football is more like pantomime than ever and crowds vent their feelings (which is a good thing).  This is classic 'mountain-out-of-a-molehile-tabloid-journalism' if you ask me.

As for Nando's 'celebration', give the guy a break, he was just relieved.

:no
My earliest memory.
2520years

Postby Red Red Tom » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:11 pm

I was in the main stand, and the booing around me at least WAS directed at Nando.  Shouts of "f*cking rubbish", "take off Nando he's sh*t" and so on accompanied the booing.  I've always hoped that Nando would come good, and was made up when he scored.  A few people near the Annie Road side of the main stand (me included) clapped him off.  Not an ovation like Robbie got, but I hope it made him feel a bit more wanted.  Regardless of whether the booing was directed at him or not (and as I've already said, I think it (wrongly) was) - he IS going to assume that it is.  I hope the 'ovation' he got has helped give him a desperately needed lift.  Because Fernando Morientes is a magical player when on form.

Tom
Red Red Tom

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:37 pm

inglis5 wrote:
Ciggy wrote:The booing was aimed at Rafa and its a disgrace from the fans to question the managers judgement, they booed the other week when Crouch got took off and Morientes was still on the pitch after doing absolutley nothing.
Morientes's goal celebration well he didnt even acknowledge the fans whether he had a nark on over the booing or he was just embarrassed well only he can answer that.

Booing Rafa?

I agree Ciggy, it was ridiculous and embarrassing.

If Rafa had decided to replace Reina with Crouch and play him as a rush goalie, we should respect his decision (and certainly not boo!)

Booing is pathetic at the best of times but to aim it at our own Manager is a joke    :no

totally agree.  Why do idiot do this, especially at the time we're trying to get Rafa to pen a new deal.......morons. :no
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Flashard » Fri Mar 17, 2006 2:40 pm

He is one player i feel sorry for. I think he came here with great expectation and hope of getting his career going again, but for what ever reasons it hasn't happened. Yes 6 mill is a lot for somewhat of a bit part player but i would give him 1 more season as i think he may just produce for us when he starts getting quality ALL Around him. Oh yes and a bit of support from us lot.
Flashard

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion