Morientes

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:53 pm

Ciggy wrote:The booing was aimed at Rafa and its a disgrace from the fans to question the managers judgement, they booed the other week when Crouch got took off and Morientes was still on the pitch after doing absolutley nothing.
Morientes's goal celebration well he didnt even acknowledge the fans whether he had a nark on over the booing or he was just embarressed well only he can answer that.

Its a disgrace...Morientes is so low on confidence. That incident brings it down even further......
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:01 pm

Didnt some fans boo Cisse at the Valley?
puroresu

Postby HantsRed » Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:30 pm

puroresu wrote:Didnt some fans boo Cisse at the Valley?

Puroresu are you Cisse's agent or something?

Anyway I agree it is always disappointing to hear our own fans boo the team/manager at any time.
It can't be of any benefit to a player who is struggling with form and confidence but clearly still putting in the effort.

Perhaps it is more understandable if a player is clearly not giving his all in terms of effort and unfortunately Cisse's demeanour sometimes gives that impression.
HantsRed

Postby Theo@home » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:13 pm

Red Red Tom wrote:I was in the main stand, and the booing around me at least WAS directed at Nando.  Shouts of "f*cking rubbish", "take off Nando he's sh*t" and so on accompanied the booing.  I've always hoped that Nando would come good, and was made up when he scored.  A few people near the Annie Road side of the main stand (me included) clapped him off.  Not an ovation like Robbie got, but I hope it made him feel a bit more wanted.  Regardless of whether the booing was directed at him or not (and as I've already said, I think it (wrongly) was) - he IS going to assume that it is.  I hope the 'ovation' he got has helped give him a desperately needed lift.  Because Fernando Morientes is a magical player when on form.

Tom

Good post Tom...I agree with your views.

Thanks for the eyewitness account.
Theo@home

Postby 48-1119859832 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:07 am

Kukilon wrote:I doubt people hate Morientes. He has always been nice and all but he hasn't been scoring as of late... the booing was not directed towards him but towards the coach who chose to remove Fowler that was playing great.

Fans should accept the decisions made by the Gaffa. If he wanted to take Fowler off then that's his decision & if the Kop didn't like it then they should discuss it amongst themselves, not jeering Morientes/ Rafa or the decision made by the Gaffa.

And at the end of the day Morientes scored so that has to at least boost his confidence in front of goal.  Fowler scored, Crouch scored and so did Morientes, so all seemed well.

So much for Liverpool fans being the best fans in the world 

:no
48-1119859832

Postby Sabre » Sat Mar 18, 2006 2:24 pm

The booing was done in a fairly light-hearted way.  How can anyone substitute Fowler when he's just got us on the way to a victory with his first goal? 

He was subbed in min 68 IIRC, not in min 55. He run a lot, he did a great game, and I think it was a good sub, as he had scored his goal, he was tired, and the other strikers needed goals.

I would have understood the concerns of the crowd if the sub was at min 55, but winning the game, and after making so many good work, I just thought it was the kind of sub that the coach gives a player so that he deservedly receive the praise of the crowd as he walks off.

After watching the game the second time, I'm not surprised reading so many things about Morientes. Doing a great game, he was slated by the commentator.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 101-1133031608 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:17 pm

I was in the Main Stand on Wednesday night, and the boo's were most definately aimed at Morientes. When the booing commenced, I looked over at Mori, and it was clear (to me at least!) that he knew it was directed at him, becuase he started to look at the ground and began to scratch his head extremely vigourously. To me it looked as though the pressure was slightly getting to him.  Credit where its due though, he didnt hide and finally got that goal he so badly needed.

As for his celebration, or lack thereof...........I would say, that he didnt really celebrate out of embarrassment. Firstly, the goal was easy, and a man of his calibre should tuck those away with his eyes closed (and he knows this), and secondly the fact that near enough the whole team came to congratulate him, not really for the goal but more (IMO) becuase he finally broke his barren spell.

Side note on the celebration though, did anyone notice that when Cisse went to congratulate Mori (when it must be hard to do knowing this guy plays instead of you, yet, doesnt score!) and looked really happy for him, Morientes almost had a look of 'F.uck off, get away' ??  I didnt like that AT ALL if I'm honest.
101-1133031608

Postby Garymac » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:38 pm

The booing was at the decision, not at the man, This confidence lark and excuse has become a f*cking joke, people have been saying this for 15 months now, Just accept he isnt good enough now and he will move on in the summer.

This has been brewing for weeks and after the booing when crouch came off instead Rafa said after the game that he left Nando on because he needs a goal and he cant score if hes not on the pitch, So Rafa has left him on in all the games till he finally scores.

So hopefully now he has got his goal Rafa wont feel the need to play him or leave him on all the time as he has now broken his goalless streak.
Garymac
LFC Super Member

Postby bigmick » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:02 pm

Booing any player is clearly wrong and counter-productive. There's never been a footballer born on this Earth who doesn't improve his performance by 50% or so when he is feeling confident, loved and comfortable in his surroundings. You've only got to move jobs/areas yourself to see that at first you just feel your way in, getting to know how the banter works at the workplace and how your fellow workers carry on. Initially you are just desperate to fit in, it's the most human survival instict and if this involves tolerating some fool who everyone else thinks is hilarious but you think is a complete knobend then so be it. If you never achieve that zone, that feeling of finally fitting in, being wanted and appreciated then you become pretty unhappy pretty quickly.

My suspicion is that this scenario applies to Morientes and that he will do what most of us would do, that is look for a new job at the first opportunity.

There has been no more vociferous critic of Morientes on these boards than myself and I make no apologies for it, I think he has been a disasterous signing. This has been magnified by Rafa's insistence on playing him in practically every game in the mistaken belief that one day he will come good when clearly, in England he won't. Had we have just cut our losses and stuck him on the bench three or four months ago it is my profound belief that we would be in a stronger position than we are now but there you go, that is merely my opinion.

As bad as he has been of course, the suspicion lingers that he is not actually as bad as he he looks and that when he finds an environment more conjusive to his social needs, he will go at least some way towards reproducing some of the marvellous form of his illustrious past. My feeling is however that his glory days will remain in the past as he is a player who has exceeded his sell-by date. All that said though, booing the fella when he clearly tries his very best in every game is not on. It's not on because it won't make him play better, and it's not on because Liverpool crowds don't do stuff like that. It would be a shame if a future prospective signing was put off the idea by a "My Liverpool Hell" story by a departing superstar.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:13 pm

Garymac wrote:The booing was at the decision, not at the man

Nail on the head Macca. The crowd simply wanted to see more of Robbie and couldn't believe he should come off while Nanado gets to stay on the field. I don't like seeing players get booed (unless it's Gary Chuckle!) but these guys get paid 40 odd grand a week so they have to deal with it.

Nando hasn't played poorly in every game this season. In my only trip to Anfield so far this year against West Ham he played a great game and was duly given a standing ovation when Rafa substituted the lad with 10 mins to play. He's a big man and i'm sure he can take the rough with the smooth.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:19 pm

:buttrock

Spot on bigmick. I dont think anybody here really hates the guy, but it simply fustrated that a player of his history and calibre cannot find the back of the net more often in England.

The way i look at it is theres only 9 games in the league to go so lets just give him out support unitl the end of the season and im sure hell be off by then,
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:55 pm

To be honest i find him in the same bracket i found Karl-Heinz Riedle,very frustrating player,little pace but great in other leagues........
The writing has been on the wall for a while now and i for one look forward to his departure....
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:59 pm

Enter Jermaine Defoe!!!!
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Graeme Noble » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:25 pm

Hmmm, if Defoe isn't good enough for Tottenham then maybe he shouldn't come to a better team that is Liverpool.
Graeme Noble

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:29 pm

drummerphil wrote:To be honest i find him in the same bracket i found Karl-Heinz Riedle,very frustrating player,little pace but great in other leagues........
The writing has been on the wall for a while now and i for one look forward to his departure....

add Jari Litmanen to that list
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion