Morientes "youve seen nothing yet"

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Ciggy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:20 am

Fernando Morientes is ready to snub any summer approach from a Turkish club in order to prove his class at Liverpool.

The Spain international has failed to scale the heights since arriving at Anfield from Real Madrid in January of 2005.

His form has been patchy this term, along with Liverpool's other forwards, and reports have linked him with a summer switch to Turkey.

The 29-year-old is aware of the speculation, but is determined to silence his critics and prove his class on Merseyside.

"I'm not thinking about leaving," said the powerful centre forward. "I've heard the rumours about Turkey but they don't interest me.

"People here have yet to see the true Fernando Morientes."

http://home.skysports.com/list.as....ight+on

Now weve heard all the talk fernando, but its time to start walking the walk.
Before the Benfica game you promised to set us on fire, but all we seen was a match thrown into water "how can the light that burned so brightly suddenly turn so pale?" I dont know.
None of us do only you can answer that one.

As far as I am aware he is happy at Liverpool his family are settled on Merseyside, so what is it?
The pace of the Prem? Or lack of confidence?
So a turkish club have been linked with him, should he stay or should he go guys?
What do you's think will happen in the summer?

I can see him and Fowler being offered a pay as you play deal TBH.
Morientes bags of experience, world class forward in his day unfortunatly for us we are yet to see that day.

I dont think rafa will sell him in the summer he seems to really like him and wants to prove that he was a good buy, and not like Pellegrino, Nunez and Josemi whom where shipped out because they where wrong for the club.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:39 am

You see thats wha I though and i gave the benefit of the doubt after his move becasue he hadnt played first team football in a few months with Madrid so I thought, lets just give him the pre season and next season hell be on fire.

I wouldnt say hes Premiership Material to be honest. He doesnt strike me as an adaptive striker. After all he is nearing the end of his career and has played in Spain all his life so I could imagine him not adjusting to eh pace well where as people like Alonso and Garcia came when they were 23 and 24 so that few years gap makes the difference when your trying to adapt to a new style and pace of play.

I dont hate Morientes. I nfully respect what he has achieved in his career but I would say that I was dissapointed to not see him make it in England.

Wether Rafa will give him anothr chance remains to be seen. But if Rafa does bring in another striker it will surley mean less play time for him so that is something Moro will have to work out.

If he scores 6 goals between now and the end of the season I think that will perhaps warrant his stay to Rafa. Rafa has known to be ruthless like you say CGGY but im no sure if hes prepared to with Morientes.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Ace1983 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:41 am

I dunno... I was really excited when Nando turned up. One of Spain's most prolific strikers looked like the man to net us 20 a season and push for the top spot. Dissapointing isn't the word really. I'd be tempted to ship him out this summer and pick up a replacement because a striker needs to score goals and that's the one thing Morientes' game is lacking. He looks great around the box and has a good touch but without the goals, he's not doing his job. Of course I could be wrong. I was one of those who spent the beginning of this season calling for Harry Kewell's head, and look what he's doing now. I've been proved wrong before and I hope this is the case with Nando, but a striker who doesn't score goals is a lot more serious than an injured left sided player in our squad.
The Ace1983
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Paul C » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:45 am

I hope he can come up with the goods next season, he's had his settling in process and fingers crossed he can benefit from Rafa bringing in someone with pace like Defoe. :)
Paul C
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:03 am

He will go .... and make way to Defoe :D
LiverpoolMadman

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:04 am

"You ain't seen nothing yet?" He'll get no argument from me there that's for sure. No surprises here, I think we should get rid. 18 months and we haven't seen a glimmer of what we would require from him if he were to cement a place as a first choice striker.    This, "I'm going nowhere" etc etc is standard practice for a bloke on his way out who is trying to secure the best conditions for his departure. I notice Van Nistelroys agent is saying that his client has two years left on his contract and he fully intends seeing them out at Man U. 'Course he does, and they have every intention of letting him go on a free aswell I'm sure.
No, for Nando the time is up. I reckon we might get 3.5 million for him, swallow the old pride and take the money I say.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:08 am

I reckon we might get 3.5 million for him, swallow the old pride and take the money I say.

He scores less than 20 Goals for the last two season and I dont think we will get 3.5 m , maybe less than 2.8m or exchange with other player.
LiverpoolMadman

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:15 am

You reckon he and Fowler will be offered pay-as-you play deals?  Fowler maybe will, but Morientes has at least 1 if not 2 years left on his contract, so there's no way in hell Benitez is going to talk him into signing a pay-as-you-play deal, that's ridiculous.

I think he's had his chance to be honest, if he hasn't got his act together by now, I can't see it happening for him here.  Class player a couple of years ago, but the combination of him slowing down and moving to a quicker league at the same time was too much for him.  Up until recently I refused to believe that he would be a flop, I thought he had too much quality, but the evidence that it's about to click for him just isn't there.

Benitez isn't afraid to admit when one of his signings doesn't work - there is proof of that - Nunez, Pelle, Josemi.  Benitez will probably give Morientes the choice this summer - he'll offer to let him go but tell him he's welcome to fight for his place, but will not be an automatic choice and 1 or 2 forwards will be brought in.  We all know Nando doesn't like being on the bench, so I think he'll prefer to leave - that's why he left Madrid after all.

His reputation in Spain and France is good after his spells there, and I think in all honesty he will go back to Spain.  We still might be able to use him as a makeweight for any transfer from a Spanish club.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:15 am

(obviously this post is a response to Liverpool Madmans. I should have quoted him, sorry)
Who knows fella? Somebody paid 14 million quid for Cisse so anythings possible. He has still got a reputation in Europe and still in the Spanish national squad, so who's to say. Whatever we do get for him, at least you would hope that it would get his wages off the books which is probably another 3 million a year or so. Time will tell.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:20 am

bigmick wrote:(obviously this post is a response to Liverpool Madmans. I should have quoted him, sorry)
Who knows fella? Somebody paid 14 million quid for Cisse so anythings possible. He has still got a reputation in Europe and still in the Spanish national squad, so who's to say. Whatever we do get for him, at least you would hope that it would get his wages off the books which is probably another 3 million a year or so. Time will tell.

You really think he's on 60 grand a week Mick?  I hope not...
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:23 am

john craig wrote:
bigmick wrote:(obviously this post is a response to Liverpool Madmans. I should have quoted him, sorry)

You really think he's on 60 grand a week Mick?  I hope not...

he's on 65 grand
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:24 am

john craig wrote:You really think he's on 60 grand a week Mick?  I hope not...

He signed for 4 years for 6.5 million so what does that average a week?
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:25 am

Ciggy wrote:

He signed for 4 years for 6.5 million so what does that average a week?

Just over 30 grand a week I think - not that bad
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:29 am

I'd be surprised if he wasn't John TBH. He came from Madrid where he will have been on a good contract, he is a proven international and my suspicion is that Liverpool probably wasn't his first choice destination.
His agent would have known that the likes of Gerrard were on 90k, Kewell 70k etc etc and I just think it's extremely unlikely that he would have come for much less. The amount of money swimming around really is obscene and if it is less than 60, it won't be by much that's for certain.
As a footnote there was an excellent interview with Joey Barton in one of the qualities this week where he talked of the misconception amongst the press of how salaries are made up in football. He was reputedly offered £29000 per week by Man City. He was at pains to point out that this wasn't the case. Apparantly he gets £20000 basic, £5000 if he actually plays and £3750 if they win. The £5000 and £3750 are paid to every member of a winning team. Still not bad if youa sk me lol.
Given that Joey Barton is able to earn £30k playing for Man City (FWIW I believe every word of what he says) then for sure Morientes would ask for considerably more to play for Liverpool.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:29 am

i stand corrected on the salary issue, whats that then, 10 grand a goal
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion